Offline / Send Message
onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
what exactly is cavity map use for?

Replies

• Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    you decide :)
    I haven't tried cavity maps myself but from the name it maps cavities (duh) and thus you can use them however you like. you could turn it into a glow map so everything glows from the inside. or use it to darken cavities.. hinting on them but not actually needing all the details. kind of like ambient occlusion I guess.
  • Michael Knubben
    Just to clarify: It's not like a specular or diffuse map, which you use in the engine. It's something people might overlay on their specular and diffuse to make things pop.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    What's the difference between a cavity map and ambient occlusion map? is there any?
  • Jonathan
    Cavity is for minute detail (think micro-detail),

Ambient occlusion is for larger details (macro-detail)

They're often overlooked, even though they can help sell the form and detail. :)
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    A cavity map tends to be more of a small-scale thing, not so much big shapes occluding each other as stuff like wrinkles being picked out.

You can essentially generate a cavity map if you tweak Max / Maya whatever settings to adjust how the ambient occlusion is generated. Zbrush generates them very easily though, and you can kinda get a quick one by fiddling with Crazybump settings over a normalmap.

Edit: Beaten, Jonathan explained it in fewer words.
  • Kawe
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    You can compare them here:
    http://donaldphan.com/tutorials/xnormal/xnormal_occ.html

Look at his throat. In an AO it is darkened while in a cavity map the.. well.. cavities are darkened.
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thanks. I have always wondered about it. Albedo maps are just color maps without any light information baked into them correct?
  • onionhead_o
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    thanks for all the explanations. I kind of understand it more.
    but I have another question. did anybody have an error that says some mapping coordinates are missing for baking normal map in max? everything is all the same material id. I just recently come across this.
  • doc rob
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Lots of ways to get a cavity map:

- zbrush
    - Mental Ray ambient occlusion with a very short ray distance
    - render to texture a heightmap from your high detail mesh to a smoothed low detail mesh (a blobby model), then adjust curves in photoshop
    - the fabulous xNormal and CrazyBump
  • pixeldamage
    Offline / Send Message
    pixeldamage polycounter lvl 14
    I know this is an old thread but I personally use cavity maps to mask out the specular channel. For instance on characters you don't want pores to contain specular highs. If you multiply the cavity in the diffuse channel it should be done so as to not have any black.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I know this is an old thread but I personally use cavity maps to mask out the specular channel. For instance on characters you don't want pores to contain specular highs. If you multiply the cavity in the diffuse channel it should be done so as to not have any black.
    Hey, that's pretty interesting. Thanks for sharing, gonna try it for myself.
  • StormyBA
    Offline / Send Message
    StormyBA polycounter lvl 9
    Then tend to be used a fair bit in the newer procedual methods of texture creation and is used to define edges for edgeware etc. Check out you tube for some dDo videos.
  • Jonathan85
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan85 polycounter lvl 9
    So they are just "in between (process) helper" maps... Not like diffuse or albedo or displacement that are actually used in the final rendering being it in real time engine (unreal) or renderer liek Vray? Correct? They are just "helper" maps to help you/speed up/make more easy the creation process of some asset?

Correct?