Home General Discussion

First trailer for Max Payne movie

http://www.shacknews.com/laryn.x?story=53528
yeah.. im posting this thread before watching the trailer. i'll coment in a few.

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shit, looks tight!
    TIGHT I TELL YOU!
    its creepy how much marky mark actually looks like max payne ahah
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Was that Mona in the elevator?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    where is his constipation face
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    At first I was seeing the lil flying devils and crap and wonder "Wtf have they done"... but then I remembered the drug trippin from the games...

This looks *VERY* promising.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and if that was supposed to be Miss Sax in a few of those shots, they got her looks spot on.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    where is his constipation face

16tgy8.jpg

Always wondered what the hell the devs were thinking, but whatever. :3
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heh.. and much like the old "whenever someone talks about Deus Ex, someone reinstalls it"... where the hell are my Max Payne cd's...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    16tgy8.jpg

Always wondered what the hell the devs were thinking, but whatever. :3

Isn't that one of the devs?
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eh... this is gonna be a train wreck.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    gonna be sweeeeeeeet!
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    flaagan wrote: »

This looks *VERY* promising.

I'll cite it's PG-13 rating as evidence of the contrary. Bullet operas fail when lil' Suzie and Billy are potential customers.

Too bad, the devils and whatnot made it actually stand out a bit to me.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Isn't that one of the devs?

Sam Lake, (Or SAMJUELEU PARJARVI or something in Polish, whatever) the writer of cheese noir, which is the best kind.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm really curious how the hell they will make it work with a PG 13 rating, you can still shot people getting shot up right? Just not spraying blood?

Looks good I just have a hard time taking Marky Mark seriously, ever. Never thought he was a good actor. Back when the first game came out and it was discussed I had hoped for Ed Norton.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Uly wrote: »
    Sam Lake, (Or SAMJUELEU PARJARVI or something in Polish, whatever) the writer of cheese noir, which is the best kind.

Pretty sure he's Finnish, as that's where Remedy are based.

Also, trailer seems pretty brainless but cool. I'd probably watch it and be entertained.
  • _Gr9yFox_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Gr9yFox_ polycounter lvl 10
    tn_pic1.jpg

Sam Lake indeed. Must have been a very bad day.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    a film of a game that's a film pastiche

... i don't get it
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    kinda looks like ass. and yeah.....PG13? 0.o
    I'd probably catch it on HBO or something. Maybe coming trailers will convince me. Being a fan of Walberg's, I do hope it's good, however.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap wrote: »
    First trailer for Max Payne movie
    bitmap wrote: »
    its creepy how much marky mark actually looks like max payne ahah

Something is keeping me from clicking the link, I think its the words Marky & Mark...
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    i remember that silly face from Marky Mark
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    im actually excited bout this! it has the opportunity to be an amazingly artsy film. And coming from the "game to video" classification, it doesnt have to hit very high to take first place haha. I mean really, mortal combat still #1 video game movie for me (the first one).

seriously tho, hope this turns out kewl. I already like what i see, now let see if it plays together nicely as a whole.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    Don't they need to make his arms like twice as long or something?
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like a good movie to me. I mean, it's a movie based off a game that's inspired by movies. If the original source is movies, how badly can you fuck it up? DO NOT ANSWER THAT.

I hope this rocks, 'cause it looks like it's gonna rock. Hope they include massive amounts of pill popping too.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    Something is keeping me from clicking the link, I think its the words Marky & Mark...
    MARKY MARK BIATCHH
    you better recognize it!

heh
    boogie nights!!!!
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    "The movie is PG-13," said cast member Kunis..."

Lame. Seriously... :(

That aside the action sequences and visual mood look pretty tasty. Still can't help but feel that the PG-13 rating will take a fair bit of jam out of the donut. An uncut DVD release would be a nice consolation...
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Pg-13 it might be, but the trailer looks good from what I can see. Better than the trailer for most movies I've seen lately. Although that's no indication of movie quality, I'll be this one is at least decent.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    Not to make ridiculous comparisons but I love how some people think it will automatically be terrible because of the PG-13 rating when The Dark Knight comes out next week and Hellboy II comes out tomorrow which are also PG-13.

If anything ruins this it will surely be the lack of "Good Vibrations" on the soundtrack...obviously.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    WTF is wrong with you people.

Good Vibrations is a WONDERFUL AMAZING SONG!!!!!! I even listened to it this morning. Marky Mark rocks all of your socks.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Max Payne being one of my favourite games, it's making it hard for me to like what I've seen in the trailer. I'll most likely line-up and catch it in theatres, but I'm not entirely convinced about the cast for the 2 lead roles. Mark Wahlberg has that baby voice that even sounds calm and soothing even when he's mad, and his take on Max's voice in the trailer didn't quite come out right (just nit-picking more than anything). Mila Kunis as Mona Sax? She might pull it off, but to me she just seems a bit too petite and teenager-like to be playing Mona Sax.
    Only time will tell, rant over.

-caseyjones
  • [Deleted User]
    praetus wrote: »
    Not to make ridiculous comparisons but I love how some people think it will automatically be terrible because of the PG-13 rating when The Dark Knight comes out next week and Hellboy II comes out tomorrow which are also PG-13.
    It's a little tougher to be true to the source material and keep a PG13 rating when you're making a movie about a vindictive, hyper-introverted and questionably sane fugitive than when you're making a movie about Batman or Hellboy, who, at the end of the day, aren't trying to slaughter all the bad guys. Max Payne isn't about saving the day, it's about killing, cycles of violence, mental depravity... I think sanitizing it is a big error in judgment on someone's part. We'll have to wait and see. Maybe, somehow, they'll pull it off.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    They're showing very little there just enough to make it look moderatly ok, but this one has the stinker alert all over it.

Wrong casting can ruin the whole thing.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    So the valkyries replace the walking along blood trails in a pitch dark environment? I'm down with that. It could go either way, but I think I'll be quietly hopeful based on the teaser.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks good and angsty.

i'm a sucker for winged/angel critters, though, and would see it just for that.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    My care for this movie just went down a big step, talk about retarded casting, one of the main characters from Max Payne, Jim Bravura, is cast as...... wait for it..... LUDACRIS!?!?

Ok this is Jim Bravura, old pill poppin cranky police chief from the game:
    post-5-1123233670.jpg

And this is Rapper/ "Actor" Ludacris:
    Ludacris%20l.jpg

Geez, how many actors did they go through before going with Ludacris? Gee, Gene Hackman would've been perfect for the role, oh wait, it's going to be PG-13, they're trying to appeal to the junior high demographic. Unless it gets amazing reviews I'll wait for this one to be playing on TV one late night when I have nothing to do. Truly one of my favorite action games, destined to be raped by hollywood.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    Loved the games even though the casting is questionable i think marky mark makes a good Max Payne. trailer looks sick cant wait to see it :)
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Nothing wrong with Ludacris. Why should we color code roles? Even Max Payne in Max Payne 2 doesn't look like Max Payne in the first game, and you can bet in Max Payne 3, he'll start to look a whole lot like Marky Mark.

Oh, heaven forbid there should be a black actor in Max Payne. After all, a movie about a pill popping, slow motion shooting, action hero is serious business.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing wrong with Ludacris. Why should we color code roles? Even Max Payne in Max Payne 2 doesn't look like Max Payne in the first game, and you can bet in Max Payne 3, he'll start to look a whole lot like Marky Mark.

Oh, heaven forbid there should be a black actor in Max Payne. After all, a movie about a pill popping, slow motion shooting, action hero is serious business.
    It's less of a B/W issue, and more of "did they even read the character description before casting it?" If you really want to get your hate whitey machine going ask yourself why did they choose to cast a person of color in a drug related roll? Did they think no one would buy the roll if it was played by a bitter old white crank? Old white guys don't do drugs... we need a fresh young hipity-hop face.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Vig

Luda is also 6 years younger than Marky Mark

I had no problem with Mos Def playing Ford Prefect in the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie but if they cast Morgan Freeman or Michael Clarke Duncan as Ford, that would be as big a miscast as casting Ludacris as the old grizzled chief of police.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Haha Vig, good point, reminds me of a game I bought yesterday, wish I hadn't now, Hitman - Bloodmoney. Shame I really liked the first 2 games but they ruined it... the very first mission there were these 2 gangsters after you go through a themepark gate (first enemies) there was rap music in the background that kept repeating mother*ucker all the time and even the characters were saying it frequently, I wouldn't have minded that much but the voices were so poor :(
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17

ROFLMAO!? Where did I say it has anything to do with RACE!? Vig responded perfectly.

Ludacris cannot play a grizzled old police chief, they completely changed the character, and a very likely reason they did that is to add a certain mass appeal factor. If they wrote in a new character played buy Ludacris, fine, if they had a storyline that didn't include the character, fine. But this is started to push it more towards the "we are fucking with the core elements of what makes this game's story" much like hollywood did with killing all the STARS members in RE2 or making the Doom movie without including Hell. I'm just shaking my head because its decisions like this that indicate it will be another bastardization of the game, and horrible movie.
  • Daaark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daaark polycounter lvl 17
    Kinda hard to hate whitey, I am whitey.

Eh, I was just having some fun with a giant overreaction to what I thought was an overreaction. Give the guy a chance. We haven't seen anything yet to see if he can pull it off either way. Perhaps they wanted to change the role up for the movie, and go a different way with the character. The film is based on the games, not a direct adaption.

Don't forget, Marky Mark was once that fresh hiphop face. He was also an underwear model, and he even wrote a book whose first words were 'I wanna dedicate this book to my dick'. But then along the way he became an actor that I enjoyed. 4 Brothers, The Big Hit, The Italian Job, etc...

But still, I see it now...
    MAX PAYNE 2: SERIOUS BUSINESS
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    GCMP wrote: »
    Haha Vig, good point, reminds me of a game I bought yesterday, wish I hadn't now, Hitman - Bloodmoney. Shame I really liked the first 2 games but they ruined it... the very first mission there were these 2 gangsters after you go through a themepark gate (first enemies) there was rap music in the background that kept repeating mother*ucker all the time and even the characters were saying it frequently, I wouldn't have minded that much but the voices were so poor :(

??????????????????????????????????
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    SupRore - Stereotyping!
    Edit - Hitman - Bloodmoney - I eat my words!!! Been off for a while and playing some xbox :) Gave the game a second chance and it got better and better till I fell in love with it... Seems to be a trend with a few games that the first level isn't anywhere near as good as the latter ones, why is that? First impressions last but all in all will be less hasty in future.
    ps: the end level 'Requiem' is very cool.