Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st Person Aynaymayshyun

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
On a more serious note, it has been ages since I've animated something and it feels great to have actually finished something.

550.jpg

Just for practice. Didn't aim for super-realism, tried to find a balance between realism and action-type-ish-thingy. Arm rig is my own and is seriously horrible.

Could probably speed it up to 35 FPS.

Weapon model is by theLama, sorry for the shitty compression.

Replies

• StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    it's really short, I guess I'm missing the point a bit, but that tiny twitch is it?

looks good though
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    You must have uploaded the wrong video. What I see its maybe 2 frames.

EDIT: Ok, it looks like Quicktime just doesn't like to play it in the browser. I downloaded the file and played it locally, and it worked fine.

It looks pretty cool! I like some of the dynamics you're doing with the gun popping around when its hit. Good stuff. I might suggest it go a bit faster though. Also when he pulls the bolt back, it could use some more resistance.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a 7-second long reload animation. It works fine here, I'll try and upload a version with a different codec.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • BrodyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really sexy animation. My one immediate crit is that when he releases the magazine, it doesn't feel like the release lever is resisting at all. Like you could accidentally drop your magazine, it's so loose.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Really well done anim, however for fast paced games its near death. Waaaay too long for a reload :)

That doesn't stop it being very life like and very well done though, so dont worry about it.

I'm curious, and I dotn mean to hijack the thread, but how do you guys texture hair onto arms? Everything I do seems to either come up like Chewie or like random fuzz....
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Fuck yeah that was cool! I have been playing some Black these days and great reloads add so much to FPSes...
    Planning to add some sound?

Oh just noticed something. At the very beginning when the left hand releases it's grip. I would expect the gun to tilt up instead of down. The way it tilts down atm makes it look like something super heavy. Spreading the arms in opposite directions (left arm goes bottom left, gun arm goes up right) would feel more natural to me. But then again, never really been holding real guns :D (does Laserquest count?)
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I see the entire thing now, really hot stuff. I second the resistance-less look of the magazine, it just pops out a bit too easily, should be easy to fix though.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium wrote: »
    Really well done anim, however for fast paced games its near death. Waaaay too long for a reload :)

Yeah I know, was just for practice. If it would've been for a game I'd make it a lot faster. :)
    odium wrote: »
    I'm curious, and I dotn mean to hijack the thread, but how do you guys texture hair onto arms? Everything I do seems to either come up like Chewie or like random fuzz....

I cheated, looked up a picture of a hairy arm, desaturated it, played with the contrast/levels and overlayed it on my texture.
    pior wrote: »
    Fuck yeah that was cool! I have been playing some Black these days and great reloads add so much to FPSes...
    Planning to add some sound?

Black is indeed an awesome game. :3 Might add some sound later on, need to make some tweaks and then re-render with a better codec.
    pior wrote: »
    Oh just noticed something. At the very beginning when the left hand releases it's grip. I would expect the gun to tilt up instead of down. The way it tilts down atm makes it look like something super heavy.

Well the real thing weighs in at 7+ kg. When the left hand stops holding the foregrip, all that weight has to be lifted by the right arm. Plus the right hand isn't at the center of gravity, so you get the whole F1*r1=F2*r2 deelee.
    Plus wanted to practice weight. Weight didn't really show in my previous animations.
    Yeah, I'm just making up excuses here.

I'll see what I can do about the magazine lever.
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking pretty nice - good job!

Few quick crits as i wait for my lunch to arrive:

1. It's pretty long for a reload

2. The way he grabs the gun with his left hand before moving to the left of the screen looks a bit forced - you could start to move the gun before he grabs it. The problem I think is when you initially raise the gun up it doesn't look very heavy, but then grabbing the gun before moving it makes it seem like it should be heavy.

3. Grabbing the new magazine before ejecting the old one seems a bit out of place - could possibly look better if he got rid of the old mag and then grabbed the new one to plug in

4. Pulling the slider at the end with the little fingers would be quite uncomfortable, acting that out on a toy gun I have here I'd do it with my thumb and finger instead - might be personal preference
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Did some small tweaks, nothing too big. Updated the video with sounds and all that jazz (right-click, save as).