Home Technical Talk

bodypaint, deeppaint or just zbrush?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
What you guys use when you have to paint in 3d? In my list:

1st Zbrush - As you can paint in polys and send to texture later also using zapplink
2nd DeepPaint - Mostly because of its plugin to photoshop, very quickly.
3rd BodyPaint - I didnt get use to it.

Replies

• moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    zapplink seemed to be a pain in the dick to get it working how you want it to, at least it was like that when i used it. Would sometimes generate crazy artifacts if you didn't massage it right. However, when you did get the magic combination of button presses, I fount it far superior to Deep Paint :)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    I occasionally do some polypainting on my high rez in zbrush then convert that to a texture for further use in photoshop. I'm still waiting to commit fully to a 3d painting app purchase. I own modo which does 3d painting as well but honestly, I just find it easier to work between photoshop and my engine to get what I want than using modo. Once I see what mudbox 2 has in store I'll either upgrade to that or stick with zbrush and make a decision between body paint and possibly 3dcoat. 3dcoat is developing at an insane pace and it sounds like Andrew is really interested in improving it for game work.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing really feels right, most of them are fine apps but require me to paint in different ways then I normally would so I stick with PhotoShop. I'll use ZBrush to block in colors and get things started but the majority of the work I do is in PhotoShop. Most of the environment work I do starts off as procedural materials.
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I'm using DeepPaint 3D 2.1 for ages now and it fits all my needs. It's really just a "bridge" between my 3d app and Photoshop basically (using the projection mode). I'm starting to use the polypaint tool of Zbrush 3 and after a few hours it seems very user-friendly and accurate for drawing canvas,guideline,simple colors, tattoos etc. I know that there is a custom script which allows you to use a photo as background and "clone" it on your model. It could replace DeepPaint3D at the end for me.
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    I've only used Modo and I think it works really well. Mainly cause you can paint in the UV window as well so you can do some normal painting. However I've always used photoshop anyway do do various things so it's more of a complement. Really good for blocking in textures though... also it makes you get away with crappy UVs since with projection painting it'll stretch the image for you. Probably not good to getting used to it but hey.. if you need to get something done quickly why not. (I'm probably going to get bashed on for this. Good UVs is the trademark of a good polycounter!)

Also since Modo does normal poly modeling really well it's pretty nice too.. no need to jump around in apps. However Modo is probably not the best tool for a single thing atm though. I'd like to point out that it's really neat since the interface and controls is pretty much consistent no matter what you try to do. Be it modeling, sculpting or painting... yes, you can sculpt in Modo but it doesn't handle high poly counts well. (EDIT: Oh right. the biggest downside is no subdivision levels on their sculpting I guess)

I think I got off track. Heh.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    deep paint and photoshop :)

ps tho the bitter ol interface does get on my nerves sometimes, would be nice with to get an update with a freshed up version.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    i went ahead and purchased bodypaint3d before i left school and haven't been able to get over the UI. I probably just need to work in it constantly for a week or so.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I've used body and deep paint and although I dont have access to them right now I do miss them a bit. I've started to use poly painting and zapp link in zbrush recently at work with reasonable results (as base) but I'd be very happy to see a new 3d painting solution.
    Its definitely the big feature they are looking to push in Mudbox 2 .. I guess I need to pester someone to get access to that beta !
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I use Modo most the time for polypainting (only tried on and off to learn its other tools). Good enough to block in line/color forms, but always do the real details in photoshop.

Havn't really messed with Deep Paint or Body Paint, and don't like texturing in zbrush for many reasons. Looking forward to trying out mudbox2 though, hopefully it ends up as good as everyone is wishing.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    not sure if mentioned before but some freebies:

blacksmith3d
    B3D-3-ScreenCapture-01.jpg
    http://www.blacksmith3d.com/index.htm

Blender
    Manual-UV-TexPaint-select.png
    http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Manual/Texture_Paint

other than that,

polyboost
    has some limited painting ablities as well- like a clone tool and some other neat texturing stuff tools.
    http://www.polyboost.com/features_texturing.htm

ghostpainter
    has been out for some longer time - it merges photoshop with 3dsmax
    SpherePainting.gif
    http://www.cebas.com/products/products.php?UD=10-7888-33-788&PID=5

From my expierence Bodypaint is inacceptable slow and a pain in the ass to use (ugly interface buttons,- at least in prior versions like a brush in nearly any icon).

What I have seen so far from modo seems very good,- stable performance and lots of xtra tools besides brushes and clone brush.
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    actually Im really intrested in learning body paint are there tutorials / dvds I can look into to better learn this program?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, nice answers, yeah, I dont understand why DeepPaint stopped with updates (I also get nervous with those interface blocking, they should really update it), also, BodyPaint just seem very different from photoshop sometimes. To be sincere, Adobe could really add some great improvements into Photoshop and let people paint in a mesh, rotate it, etc. Photoshop have the most comprehensive workflow ever and I can´t lose time learning more one software, unless its really useful.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I found this plugin, but I will give a test, I dont know if it works ok, I tried once and didnt work for me, if you guys can give me a help http://www.electriciris.com/
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd buy Enzo if it wasn't so expensive for what it is.
    It's a 50€ app, max.
  • jrs100000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jrs100000 polycounter lvl 8
    Mostly Blender and PS for texturing with Deep Paint for projection painting on occasion. Ive recently started painting textures on my high poly models (with a different UV layout), baking the high poly texture onto the low poly, and then painting out any seams. So far it is working fairly well and mostly eliminates any need to fight with Deep Paint.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I got some noise problems with Enzo when applying the texture into the model. Anyone the same?
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As Gwot mentioned 3DCoat is great. Already it beats Bodypaint's navigation controls and wealth of tools but it needs a lot of work still on the painting side of things and better integration of PSDs. Some of the tools and their implementation are just a work of genius imho e.g. transform/copy tool & Draw with spline. If Andrew sorts out the PSD compatibility I'd pay for this app tenfold in a second.

New retop tools are also looking pretty damn good. I'll be watching this app closely.

p.s. Bodypaint's navigation is horrendous and something they don't seem to ever want to fix. No tumble around area of interest = nonsense.
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    tried 3dcoat, but theres no way to adjust radius based on pen pressure?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah enzo's price is retarded. I'd probably consider it too if it was around 100 bux. That and the fact that it is flakey as hell have kept me from buying it.
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf wrote: »
    tried 3dcoat, but theres no way to adjust radius based on pen pressure?

That's not quite true, but I'm not sure which version you were giving a trial. The latest versions you Press E and it will bring up a menu for all manner of options for what pen pressure affects.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    deep paint for me, love the projection stuff, you can just copy and paste decals from the clipboard and slap them on in layers. works great.