admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin

Replies

• Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Very nice church. Head needs work, I'm probably not best to comment on that.
  • Toecutter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree with cody, the church looks really good but the head needs some work. I am not the best at head either but you might want to look at the proportions

faces.jpg
    found this image @ http://underdog.dreamcomics.com/english/head.htm

HEAD PROPORTIONS

-The eyes = halfway between the top of the head and the chin.
    -The bottom of the nose=halfway between the eyes and the chin.
    -The mouth=halfway between the nose and the chin.
    -The corners of the mouth=centers of the eyes.
    -The top of the ears=eyebrows.
    -The bottom of the ears=bottom of the nose.
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    hey eyes are too wide, thats why they look so close together, the nostrils are too big, the bone above the eye is too relaxed, that should stand out to create a strong brow line. i like the environment a lot. keep it up
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really like the arc above & around the entrance to the cathedral, it really does nice things with the space. the decor on the front is pretty nice, too. very neat design.

don't so much like the tall tower in the middle, though. i mean, i like it, but for some reason the scale looks off. that level of detail works on the smaller towers on either side of the entrance, but the big central one seems like it should be different. perhaps a big baroque dome? cathedral-builders seem to never leave so much flat stone unembellished.

and i agree with the others, the head needs a little work. a little more large shape definition in the cheeks, maybe. also, look at the little nuances around people's eyelids, the bridge of the nose, fairings of the nostrils and the mouth, especially the corners. it could look a lot better with a little bit of well-planned vertex shovin' and some more poly loops around the eyes. gotta build some eyelids.

maybe a different facial expression, but now i'm just throwing around personal preference. up to you i suppose.

nice work, i wanna see where you end up with that cathedral.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • Johan Carlsson
    The church looks really promising :)
    The head however... It's weird. Most have already pointed out the flaws in it and the only thing I can add is that the mouth area looks flat and the lips are weird. References for the win!

Keep it up though!
  • Jonas Ronnegard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas Ronnegard polycount sponsor
    A good advice for u would be not to use that as reference, try doing paintovers on a finished human anatomy picture instead
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    seems you have more aptitude for the technical/architectural side if you don't mind me saying
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    BIG EDIT!! Yep you guys are right, this was poor - deleted most of it apart from the outline and made some alterations to general proportions. BUT I really am jumping too far ahead so decided to leave this alone for a while and concentrate on the scene itself in an effort to try and be more procedural/logical. Sometimes (mostly) it feels like this project is all over the place and I'm in some kind of mad rush to get somewhere before I start sprouting grey hairs!
  • TheSplash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forget about the colours and highlights and everything. It is very important that you get his proportions down first because at the moment they are totally off. Find some reference of men standing up and observe how your drawing differs, take Jonas advice and even TRACE reference for your character to get the proportions down.

And to avoid being vague:

His arms are too short - his hands should reach below his groin
    His body is too wide (yes even for a muscular guy)
    His arm muscles are too balloon-like

Those are the main proportional things i can see, but again study some more reference so you know what anatomy is there, because when it comes to modeling and sculpting him you can't make it up as you go along.
    And don't worry if you feel your drawing skills aren't so good, the main thing is that you create a good base of reference for your modeling not a finished drawing, heck it doesn't even have to be shaded.
  • Dan Burke
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The arch stuff is looking good. I would distress some edges a bit, and maybe add a bit more dirt to some of your textures such as the pentagram. The building (the first pic you posted) is looking really solid (excuse the pun).

Your anatomy is way off though. I would definitely suggest looking at some humans and check all your proportions. Then, submit the WIP for C&C and expect it to hurt a bit at first till yer dialed in. :)

Keep it up!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    its a tad plain imo. You could use a 1024 on the whole thing really. It needs more detail and something more interesting to focus on. Also.. why do you have all the horizontal cuts going up the post?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks for your comment.
    yeh was thinking of putting a few symbols, extra artwork on this piece but didn't want to overdo it and lose sight of texturing the rest of the scene. Will most likely come back to individual parts and add more complexity later as things progress :)
    The horizontal divisions in the post - it's normal mapped so the object was prepared for zbrush. I should remove those really!
    Ahh the texture, I could reduce it to 2x 1024's but using 1 would mean losing alot of texture detail unless I paint everything from scratch and I don't have the time :(
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    just a question,
    did you actually researched the design of the things you created?,- they look to me somewhat like created just from scratch with lots of clich
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Your spec, gloss, and bump aren't doing a thing. Don't add them unless you know how to use them.
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    1024 map for this? And there is SOOO much wasted space man.

Why not use that space for non-mirroed peices, like your blade or handle. 1024 is overkill for the lack of detail in this map man :(

Use your space wisely and squeeze in as much as you can, there is more black the texture.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    1024 for a knife! geez 512x512 would be a decent size what is it for?
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Edited post - made a stupid mistake!!! I was test rendering the scene and forgot to turn the specularity up! I made a turntable but the damn thing is hard to upload anywhere, will have to get my own site asap.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/101dfe/n/sword_rot-Desktop_m4v

SupRore Eh so yeh you were right they were doing nothing...
    JasonLavoie Agreed there is a bit of wasted space for another side of the handle to be fitted in but I was wanting it symettrical in design, need to work on the handle some more.
    Armanguy 1024 for the main characters weapon, there will be two of these eventually.
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure if I've read all this wrong, but do you plan to add another weapon to the texture? right now you have around 60-70% of the texture not being used. you could optimized you uv's to use the whole space and reduce down to 512 and not take a hit in resolution given how much of the 1024 isn't being used now.

Aside from that, the texture looks cool.

knifepf6.jpg
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    In reguards to wasted space, by example this uses half the material space and is still sloppy.
    swordtemplz3.jpg
    Also, I brightened the tip of the blade because for some reason you left that dark, which kills the lighting.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Yep planning on making a second of these swords so thanks alot for the example guys, very helpful :icon60: Now I will use this map for both objects and take full advantage of that space. Thanks for your compliment oobersli
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • EggE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EggE polycounter lvl 11
    i think the spec needs some work because i cant really see where light is actually reflecting off the pole. when i have graffiti on any objects i desaturate them a bit in photoshop, it looks like the kids that painted your light post had some super prisma color markers. weathering is going to effect not only the grafitti but the texture of the pole which hasnt been really touched.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • Johan Carlsson
    Heh, I don't mean to be picky or anything but I just felt that your last UV could easily get a little more optimized. It's not a very big difference but still:

cNvvBVvQS.jpg

Nothing has been flipped, some things are just rotated a little. You could scale the UVs up a little to cover the reds :) Not sure if it's of any use but anyway, couldn't help it, sorry :P
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok. I think you need to keep more of an eye out for optimization. It should be your key focus now. Your textring isn't bad but you could get more of a bang out of it with better usage of polys and uv setup. If your painting normals, then think more tileable. If i do a high poly model for my normals I'll still try and see if I can make it tileable for better uv usage. So heres what I propose.

The door

door1cq5.jpg

Learn to like using alpha planes. If done right they can be your best friend. Your uv's could be scaled down too. The handles and iron work are challenging the actual door for space. Scale them down and put in grunge,grime or dirt decals to put over the different doors and make them different. You would even have more room to put more custom modular details in there to change up each door. Don't be afraid to re-use uv's either. If your painting your normals then reuse, reuse!! Also with the iron work, right now its too low poly so making it an alpha texture you can get a nice clean flow to it and still have it pop out some. Making the center iron piece actual geometry will help sell it more from an angle so the whole thing isn't flat.

door2nr7.jpg

Lastly... I did a sloppy job of how you could optimize your uv's of the previous model. leaving extra room to put extra stuff within the model to make it more custom.

thing1jd4.jpg
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    oobersli - great sugg's, token of appreciation sent!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Well I fixed the gamma, it had been like that for years!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    GCMP wrote: »
    Doorarchdiffuse-1.jpg

This could be waaaaay optimized, like the 3 triangles are all the exact same texture so make them use the same UV space. I started messing around and I got all your UVs fitting into about 1/4 of a 512x512 texture. Also, I'm always of the mind that if adding a cut in the mesh will save a huge amount of texture space, go for it.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Very true it could be optimised, though was trying to leave it open as nearly all these parts will be normal mapped and have individual features, I know it may be expensive! Definately feel ya though, as progression is made from object to object those maps keep on getting tighter!