Home General Discussion

Titan Quest Gold?

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
nacire polycounter lvl 17
Hey folks, I was thinking about getting this double pack for 20 USD over steam, but I'm having severe problems running the demo. I know a lot of pc'ers worked on the title so I was curious if the patches cleared up a lot of the stability issues.

With Diablo 3's announcement and such a good deal, I figured it was time to finally check it out! :D

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    There NEVER was stability issues dammit. the crashes were due to the checks the game had in place and if the check failed it looked like a crash instead of telling the crackers exactly where checks happened

If you like the diablo gameplay, it's worth picking up.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Keg's right, titan quest is stable and awesome.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well my problem arises that I cant play the demo for more than a couple minutes without the video crashing. This is over steam. I'm very skeptical to buy it if I can't play it.
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    Keg's right, there were no stability issues. If you enjoyed Diablo 1 or 2, I highly recommend picking up Titan Quest. For the price, you probably won't get a better deal for a year or two more, so I'd grab it so you have something good to hold you over for a while.

I'm not sure what issues you'd have with the demo, but it's probably related to something you've done. Are you using beta video drivers or something?
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a reason my system may be failing the checks if I'm playing the official demo over steam?
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the Steam support forums, perhaps. I've not played the demo on Steam, so I'll grab it and see if there's something fishy about it, but I doubt it.

Edit: Playing the demo now, and I don't have any issues. I suggest you check your drivers and the support forums.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I'm doing all I can at the moment. I think the problem may be rooted in the fact I have a new ATI agp card (they dont support the new agp cards with their own drivers). So I'm kinda stuck trying from a set of very limited drivers.

Everytime I play, it's the same thing. The mouse locks, the screen goes black, them my monitor goes to sleep like there is no video signal. I still have audio, but I have to do a hard reset to recover.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Well uh, there's your problem, man.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is the first game I've had any issues with. I've tried 3 driver sets now with the same results in Titan Quest.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    I am sorry to say, but there were stability issues and performance bugs.
    Patch 1.30 Notes: (FYI: don't need to read all of 'em to get the drift)
    - Fixed a bug where screen shake would occur across all players in a
    multiplayer game when it was caused by one player
    - Fixed a bug where Merchants dialog would not play in some localized
    languages
    - Fixed vitality damage resist so it shows properly in the UI
    - Fixed a bug where disabling the day/night cycle did not work in a
    multiplayer game
    - Fixed a crash bug where projectiles would travel outside the rendered
    gameplay space
    - Fixed a crash bug where the physics engine could attempt to access
    objects after they had been removed from the world
    - Fixed a crash bug where the game could possibly attempt to update the
    location of a character that had already died
    - Fixed a crash bug affecting defective monster patrol points
    - Fixed a crash bug involving target leading with projectiles
    - Made code adjustments in preparation for Titan Quest Immortal Throne
    expansion including version compatibility and MOD compatibility
    - Fixed virtual memory test to allow for machines with more than 4 gigs of
    virtual memory

There is a broad scope of different PC Hardware configurations to consider, all PC titles deal with this problem and remember this was Iron Lore's (RIP) first title.

It is a great game and if you want, you should check it out. Some of the technical issues were addressed before Iron Lore closed in the official patch. You should be able to download the patches within the game.

I've been meaning to try it out, but the community created their own unofficial fan patch that attempts to fix a number of game breaking bugs, which was something quite awesome to find out about.

http://www.tqitfanpatch.com/
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks KP, it's definitely looking like I'm just having the ati agp blues :(
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm sorry to hear, that really sucks. I hope you find something that will get it to work.
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    and this is why im a console gamer
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn you computaaars!
    red_ring_death.jpg
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lol, yeah well, I got the new agp card and some more ram to stave off a full upgrade. At least I can say all my apps work much better as do my games. Unfortunately this is one I really wanted to play through and to get TQ and the IT expansion for 20 bones is too good to be true!
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the problem may be rooted in the fact I have a new ATI agp card (they dont support the new agp cards with their own drivers).
    You don't say. I'm not even sure why ATI would not support an ATI card, unless you're running a laptop.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    I didn't know that TQ+xp was on Steam. I'll have to check that out.
    For some reason the version of the game I bought came on a bunch of cd's instead of a dvd, so reinstalling it would be a pain.

Too bad about the ati, though.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    the retail version was a lot more stable than the demo. demo would usually fuck up just as i got near the first cave
  • Geezus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus mod
    ....but that's only because it was Marine's "personal demo". :)
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well I managed to get about 30-40 minutes in by turning some settings down before it gave me the same crash issue. It was fun and definitely what I expected. I may just take the dive for 20 and cross my fingers.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome game indeed. I played a friends copy for a bit when it came out, but my PC was pretty crap at the time. I've been meaning to go buy it for myself now that I have a better machine.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Playing diablo 2 with some friends, after that this is up! :)

I dont have the expansion is it a lot of content?
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    keep in mind, the demo came out months before the actual game was released--it's probably using an earlier version of the engine/code, and is definitely pre-patch. There were a ton of issues with the demo.

but yeah, it was a great game to work on :)
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont have the expansion is it a lot of content?

Yes! Not only is there a lot more content, but added features that enhance the game. It makes the overall game much cooler, imo.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Keg's comment reminded me of a pin one of our coders has hanging in his office...
    "What are you doing wrong with our bug-free product?"
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    some friends and I had just started to run through it again when DIII was announced.

good times, in my horribly biased opinion.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Xenobond: the game came out on both cd's and dvd's.

I'm tempted to get this on steam since the expansion alone is $20 at the local stores.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I must have missed the notice that it was on steam. I do really like having original in-the-flesh boxes for my games though :(
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    So I saw this thread, remembered TQ was one of the games I'd been meaning to try (but couldn't with my old laptop due to the shitty intel gpu), and searched on steam. Only the trailer for IT showed up, so i clicked that, then clicked the game link on the sidebar, and was greeted with:

"This product doesn't appear to be available in your region."

What kinda bullshit is that? They region lock this shit or something? Argh.
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks Lotekk. Well I bit the bullet and bought the gold pack over steam and I'm having the same damn issue with TQ and IT. I've tried everything under the sun that I know to try and that I've researched. Still trying to find a way though.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoa, this is some buuuuuullshit. After doing a quick search on steam and region locking, I found this link:

Steam Region Locking Blows

How's that for a big fuck you?
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Just bought it aswell after seeing this thread, great graphics tbh! Abit laggy tho even with my pretty powerful computer. Seems like fun so far.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Geezus wrote: »
    ....but that's only because it was Marine's "personal demo". :)
    nah, this was one of those rare occasions were it was a demo instead of a "demo"
  • man_o_mule
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    man_o_mule polycounter lvl 18
    the new agp ati cards suck. dont know why companies put out parts that they arn't going to support.

Titan Quest is a great game. Best game based on diablo based gameplay. better than diablo 2 imo. We did have allot of customers who had problems with the game, but the patches fixed that.

On a side note, whenever your system appears to be hardlocked you should try pressing the power button in and releasing quickly. Just like you were turning the system on. If Windows isn't hardlocked then it will recognize the signal and start going through a normal shut down procedure. Usually you dont want to use your reset button unless you have to. It's rare but it can cause your windows files to get corrupt.

oh, and btw, i work tech support at a computer company if you havn't noticed :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Teck - I know this isn't helpful but I got my copies of TQ and IT over Steam. It just worked for me.
  • LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I'm wondering if it's unavailable in Oz or something, because I'm currently in Melbourne. Maybe I'll try again end of the month when I'm back in sg. I still think this region-locking thing is a bunch of horseshit.
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Yes! Not only is there a lot more content, but added features that enhance the game. It makes the overall game much cooler, imo.

Thanks, I brought it. On steam the expansion is 20$ and both games also 20$ so i bought the TQ again lol. :)

now i can play the origional with a friend lan oneday if he does not have it.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    LoTekK wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up, Chris. I'm wondering if it's unavailable in Oz or something, because I'm currently in Melbourne. Maybe I'll try again end of the month when I'm back in sg. I still think this region-locking thing is a bunch of horseshit.
    Welcome to my world, dude! I've had that happen to me for a whole lot of packs on Steam. I would have picked this up over Steam too, because I've really been keen on playing the game. Considering half of Polycount worked on it :P
    Might just settle for a boxed version.

-caseyjones
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    Marine wrote: »
    the retail version was a lot more stable than the demo. demo would usually fuck up just as i got near the first cave

If i remember correctly the lock ups happened in the cave on the hacked version because the security Secu-rom Software THQ required would run a check when you entered the first cave, thus causing the lock up.
    Glad to see people are picking up the game now that Diablo III was announced.
    B
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If i remember correctly the lock ups happened in the cave on the hacked version because the security Secu-rom Software

they put secu-rom on a demo?
  • JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    Yup, me and my buddy are currently downloading it now on steam.

How is co-op? How many people can play at once?

I played it awhile ago and I enjoyed it much more than Diablo, but I started playing it right when college kicked off so I had to drop it :(
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

How is co-op? How many people can play at once?

Not sure, but I'd love to co-op sometime. I'm unlucky that my desktop with the ati wont play it, but I'm lucky that I got my wife one of the new gaming laptops from gateway. I told her we needed that one so I could work on it when we travel!!! I played earlier today for quite some time. It is definitely a great game and it looks great too! Good job on the art folks!