Home General Discussion

UE3 Editor

So I bought Gears for the PC so I can learn the engine. But I have one major problem. I cant find the editor. I have Vista Home Premium 64bit. I checked the box for install editor when I installed. Where is it hiding?

Replies

• JasonLavoie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JasonLavoie polycounter lvl 18
    i heard that if you put -editor at the end of the shortcuts target, it'll open the editor.

I thats what you do...

I actually bought Gears for PC as well, and I didn't find the editor... but i bout UT3 before that so... :(
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    check out the official forums... just did a quick search and found this for ya:
    Here is how you get the editor, regardless of how you installed the game:
    • Go to your GoW installation directory.
    • Open 'Binaries'
    • Right click Startup.exe, highlight Send To, and click Desktop.
    • Right click your new shortcut, and go to properties.
    • In the 'Target' box, go all the way to the end, and press space. Then type 'editor'.
    Now run your shortcut. It may take awhile.

I don't know how good of a resource those forums actually are once you get past the basics, but that thread should give you a good place to start.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks that helped me figure it out. What I did was went to Start > Games > Games Explorer. Right-clicked Gears of war selected Customize.. Then I just changed the top option to Play (Run Editor). So now when I double click the icon it will run the editor instead of the game. I am sure that there is a better way but this works fine for now.

Edit: Thanks Ferg that is probably a better solution
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    You would have been way better off buying UT3 instead of GOW. GOW is unstable, and no one cares about mapping for GOW anyhow. And the engine build is older...

The editor is almost identical to UT3 though, so you can also look for UT3 tutorials.
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences wrote: »
    You would have been way better off buying UT3 instead of GOW. GOW is unstable, and no one cares about mapping for GOW anyhow. And the engine build is older...

The editor is almost identical to UT3 though, so you can also look for UT3 tutorials.

I have had nothing but problems with the GOW editor on 4 different machines now. I still have half a map sitting on my old hard drive that I would like to complete one day... if only I could manage to get it working again. haha. UT3 is where it is at.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the GOW editor is very buggy. Thankfully, you can buy UT3 for $19.

As for GOW, when you install, there's an extra "check box" you click for it to install Editor shortcuts, but if you don't, it doesn't, but yes, just add " editor" to the end of the shortcut.
    :)

Try that with other UE3 games, and sometimes you'll get some funny error messages. :)
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    man my ut3 editor is pissing me off whenever i try to import a mesh it crashes :S it just started though so i dont know what the problem is arghhhh
  • Hourences
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hourences polycounter lvl 18
    Try with a simple cube first, just to check if you get the process right.

Imported stuff must be fairly simple. So just poly based, no splines or other weird things, etc.