Home Technical Talk

Really need help with this. UVs and Zbrush.

buddikaman
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
buddikaman polycounter lvl 18
Sup people.

So Ive been working hard on my first zbrush sculpt. An axe. Upon changing the topology(but not the shape) to support hard edges and quads, i imported to zbrush. I did however neglect to put UVS on the low poly BEFORE changing topology, as i learned this after the fact. So now i have a sculpt that has no uv coordinates, and cannot reimport new uvs into it.

Is there a way i can get uvs onto my zbrush sculpt without having to redo everything? Heres the axe btw. Thanks!

axe01ig8.jpg

Scott Petty
Environment Artist
www.Buddikaman.com

Replies

• Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    You can export the lowest level of your hi an unwrap that then reimport that. not what you want to hear but it's not a total loss. You should also be able to bake your normals to a low with different topology. That looks great. I think there are threads on polycount already that mention how to do this or something that might help you more than what I suggested.

Alex
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    If you want to bake the normal map for the low res I wouldn't worry too much about having the ZBrush version mapped. Just lay out the UVs for the low polygon, and then bake the map in xNormal.

If you want to paint the axe in ZBrush, providing you have enough polygon density, you can paint directly on the polygons and use the automatic UV functionality to export a high res diffuse map, and then in turn bake that one onto your low polygon diffuse map in xNormal.

I'm not sure if that made any sense, I shouldn't be posting while I'm stressed.. :p
  • buddikaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Im having a few issues here with xNormals, was hoping someone could help!. Basically it seems to want to be working, but the normals are coming out a bit wrong. Could this be becuase of the subdividing of the mesh in zbrush compared to my low poly 3dsmax model??

Is there a way to fix that? Almost looks like a cage problem..

1272ki7.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    HAve you tried applying this to your mesh or are you just looking at the normals and saying its wrong? It doesn't look like anything too out of the ordinary there, but if you think its a cage propblem i would just turn off cage, and use the ray distance settings in xnormal.

That said it looks more like the normals compensating for hard angles on your mesh, you'll probabbly want to add in some more geometry or set up smoothing groups if you get errors when you throw it on your model.
  • buddikaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Good news. After much hard work, I got this working. Not the prettiest normal(kind of blurry) but eh lesson learned.

Low poly w/ normal

18651vf5.jpg
  • Tumerboy
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    what was the issue?
  • buddikaman
    Offline / Send Message
    Under low poly settings i had to turn off cage and put "average normals" i think it was a smoothing group problem, or perhaps cage, not sure.

Crappy test texture..

1272ax8.jpg