Home General Discussion

Relocating to Portsmouth

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
bugo polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, I hope to be soon at Portsmouth UK as I got a job in Climax Group :). I´m really excited about the place and the company. I would like some help of cost of living on this place and if someone has been already there, how it is, what is good, what is bad, what I really should know. I´m going in a month or so, leaving from Curitiba, Brazil.

Thanks in advance.

Replies

• sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    2 interesting links :

For bus :
    http://www.yorkshiretravel.net/journeyplanner/welcome.do

Famous website in england :

http://portsmouth.gumtree.com/ (for your town :) )
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks man, I will take a look on those links, any more tips from someone that lived or live there?
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    haha gl with the move to pompey, I'm moving back down to Havant, a town near Portsmouth end of July :D

Some things to know about Portsmouth.....

It's one of the most densly populated cities in Europe

It's home to one of the last few Naval bases in the UK, so there's a big maritime theme running through the city.

The locals can sometimes appear to have a Cockney accent, usually they're knobs :p

If you live on the island itself (don't worry, it's only an island due to a small river with 3 ways on/off by car) it can be quite expensive to live.

The city is in a state of rejuvination, mostly around Gunwharf, where Climax are based. Night life is good, lots of bars around Gunwharf itself, and the main city centre is about 20 mins walk at most where there are even more fun filled frolicks awaiting you :)

The local Football Club, Portsmouth FC won the FA Cup and are appearing in European competition for the first time in their history. Also they are the longest holders of the FA Cup, due to winning it just before WW2 happened and all football was cancelled until after the war. This kind of knowledge can be a life saver in the right hands ;) Also if anyone starts kicking off, just say that Southampton are shit and they'll be your best friend for life lol

London is only about an hour and a half away on the train too in case you wanted to do some sight seeing :)

Hopefully there will be some other PC'ers who are based in the area who can talk about transport links and other odds and sods :)
  • sama.van
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sama.van polycounter lvl 14
    Chunkey wrote: »
    lots of bars (...)

Yes but in Englant that's normal XD..
    This is a bar for 20 people? (XD I'm joking but...)

Anyway... Don't know if Leeds and Wakefield are the than Portsmouth the Friday and Saturday evening but... haha... anyway... Becarful with the cute white legs, it will make you crazy man HAHA.
    They don't know what is cold in this country!!!
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha well it's on a smaller scale to Leeds, the city centre is about half the size of Leeds' to be honest. but because there's a university there you get lots of *cough* cute *cough* student types and lots of bars near the Guildhall :)

Also Southsea has a few bars, and I've been informed by my bro that there's a half decent strip club down that way where some of the footballers go :p
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    I'm from Havant, living there still, and know Pompey very well. Its become very studenty and as a result the night life is good with a fairly diverse range of nights to go to. You'll want to check out the One Eyed Dog that do pints for £1.60 on Monday nights.

Getting around is easy on bike its basically a city crammed onto an island. Buses are pretty good and the train links go straight to London and the surrounding area. You've got a really nice common next to the sea which is real nice during the summer, a 1970/80s concrete skatepark and generally its a nice place to be.

The coastline is sweet, places like Hayling Island, or more like the bay around there is quite cool to chill out at.

London is close and so is Brighton.

For rent I think its round the £70 - £80 per week range, sharing a house with others.
  • Target_Renegade
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, will take a look at these links man, I´m happy to go there, very excited with those news. I will go live with my wife. Thanks for the info man
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade: blimey it's a small world lol

I'm gonna be moving back to Leigh Park, is Leigh Park and Havant still chocka block with chavs? :p
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It certainly is a small world:)

You still have your contingent of mushes and chavs pushing around their prams, but the centre has calmed down a bit since those times of pub fights. Usually stick to the Old house at home or the wheelwrights where my mates gig, and stay away from a select few pubs where you get the chavs.
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha I'd heard that there were a load of CCTV cameras in Havant town centre these days, didn't go out drinking much whilst I was living there the first time, plus with the Greyhound and Cricketers now gone and lets face it the Swallow, in all the time I'd ever gone there have never had more than 2 people in at a time lol

I think the pompey/Southern England contingent of Polycount need to go out some time this summer! :D
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    good to see you finally found something congratulations =)
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Warby, I´m very excited!
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    portsmouth was ok last time I went, I was in the military police based in chichester which is n't too far away
    watch out for drunken squaddies:)

good luck with the move BTW
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey: Lets see how many pcounters we can get together for a seesion.

Ruz: No way, I worked at RMPTS for a year and left a while after their move to Southwick. Was working for Support Company, civvie that is.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    drunken squaddies?
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    soldiers/navy personnel, presumably.

have you been to the offices? i heard they're quite nice with a view of the sea and located in or next to a shopping mall so you are probably not stuck somewhere in the countryside without decent public transport.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    well, never been into the office, but yes, i saw some pictures, its very nice. I wonder which equipment they use.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    Target_Renegade - ha ha its a small world. yeah I wasn't in that long, got my nose broken for my trouble , that was back in 89 I think.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Do you guys know places to lunch, good markets, cost of living links?
  • unfluffybunny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unfluffybunny polycounter lvl 16
    *lives in portsmouth*
    there's an abundance of subways here if you like them @_@ (4 in the town centre alone)
    there's a market on in the town centre 4 days a week (wed to sat)
    climax I believe is down at gunwharf, there's some nice places to eat down there, but it's the most expensive part of the city, tho they have some good deals at off-peak times I guess, next to gunwharf is a bus depot / train station / taxi rank / ferry port, so transport shouldnt be a problem. and it's about 15 minutes walk from aforementioned town centre :)
    to follow the bar and nightclub theme, guildhall walk is probably the easiest place to find somewhere to suit whatever your taste, there's the fleet pub, a walkabout, a weatherspoons (good eating there btw), "V Bar" (a shot bar), "Bar: Me", a large pub on a corner facing the guild hall, I forget what it's called but i'm thinking "the trafalgar", "babylon" which is more of an 80's kinda nightclub, the fuzzy duck nightclub (next to a strip club I forget the name of), the white swan pub, route 66 (my personal favourite, 5 floors, can be more student friendly, cheaper drinks, and has a rock night), going away from the city centre a bit theres a pub called the registry, it's opposite the student union so normally full of students (also across the road the open late night / early morning subway) and alternately moving towards the town centre, lloyds bar (another weatherspoons, 5 floor place, also good eating), liquid and envy nightclubs, also a few nice kebab stops.
    cost of living varies alot, your best bet is to look around a few websites really.
    anyway, hope that helped a little, i'll stop babbling on now :P
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks alot man, wow, alot of nice places.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    I´m sorry to post this here, I wish I could delete this thread as I didn´t get the work permit to work in UK, they answered that freelance is not considered as full time job (for me this doesnt count as I work much more time than a full time job)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn :( sorry to hear that mate :(

Keep yer pecker up mate, it might be worth finding out whether there are any legal loopholes you can exploit, and I'm sure being the UK, there's plenty of them.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks Chunkey.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    sucks to hear.
    why did you have to apply for a work permit for a freelance job? surely climax would have hired you for at least a fixed-term on-site contract?
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thats a bummer, I know for sure that people enter the country through the backdoor approach, i.e. education, and never leave, but for someone willing to work...it sucks they won't let you. As thomasp says, can't Climax sort something out that bends or exploits the law? Have a full-time job description that lets you get on with it?
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Well, the thing is, I don´t have a degree, so, UK government needs to have or degree or fulltime big time experience. I have 3 years of experience fulltime, and 3 years freelancing, so, they didnt count on my freelance experience. I hope because of this I will be able to try into other companies as well and maybe also trying to modify my cv now. Thanks for all the effort.