Home General Discussion

Raytraced Quake Wars : Intel Tech Demo

Uly
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 17
http://www.tgdaily.com/html_tmp/content-view-37925-113.html

:) Cool.

"Intel demonstrated ET: Quake Wars running in basic HD (720p) resolution, which is, according to our knowledge, the first time the company was able to render the game using a standard video resolution, instead of 1024 x 1024 or 512 x 512 pixels. Seeing ETQW running in 14-29 frames per second in 1280x720 has brought up our hopes for Intel's CPU architecture, since we do not believe that CPUs would deliver a similar performance when rasterizing graphics. For the record, the demonstration ran on a 16-core (4 socket, 4 core) Tigerton system running at 2.93 GHz.

The game itself was vastly expanded when compared to original title. Intel’s Daniel Pohl showed how the engine now shoots three million rays in all directions, enabling collision detection based on rays alone..."

Replies

• Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    kinda off-topic i played quake wars for the first time today i was so disappointed not only that but the graphics for the 360 are hideous :(
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    HAHAHA! I love how they throw chrome spheres all over the place to make it seem like raytracing is cool. Now I can finally make that game I've been dreaming of where you play as a chrome sphere in the magical land of chromitopia.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    etqw_06_glassreflection.jpg
    Amazing detailed reflections next to a blocky blobby mess is not going to make the blocky blob look great, no mater how detailed the reflection is.

Surprising lack of trees and terrain above the water line. I'm sure its really hard to ray trace the sky... oh well its good to see technology pushed I'm sure someone will use it properly sooner or later.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Notice the 13-16 fps . . .
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dale22x polycounter lvl 10
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    Notice the 13-16 fps . . .

on 16 cores.....
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    CPU is inefficient. I dunno why they still push this ancient arthitecture, GPU is times faster at everything almost.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    realtime reflections are nice and all, but doing it with a cubemap will be waaaay cheaper and noone will notice the difference.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    they seem to have noticed with mirror's edge..
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=532

I think this raytracing will have its place, just not in games...
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    well why not in games? not in games yet, but Raytracing has it's right to exist, why not use it - when the time is right and the power andenvironments there to use it, no question that there are a lot of other things that could no shuld be improved first but faking for all time beeing isn't a real approach, if you can do it without having any performance problems why shouldn't someone use it one day?
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    radiosity>raytracing.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox wrote: »
    well why not in games? not in games yet, but Raytracing has it's right to exist, why not use it - when the time is right and the power andenvironments there to use it, no question that there are a lot of other things that could no shuld be improved first but faking for all time beeing isn't a real approach, if you can do it without having any performance problems why shouldn't someone use it one day?

Because the 'one day it will be feasible' argument ignores the point. Hardware restrictions will be a real factor for a long time to come. The power used for raytracing can better be used for a ton of other things, both graphically and gameplay-wise.

'Not in games' is the response, because the power needed for raytracing is wasted in games in general. It is like a game requiring a PhysX card (read the Carmack article for his take on that)- yes you can do some cool stuff with it, but on the larger-scale or even for a popular game, it is pointless and not realistic.
    faking for all time beeing isn't a real approach,
    I assume you are aware the 3D space you are seeing in a game doesn't actually exist and there are not miniature soldiers and explosives in your monitor, yes? All of CG (art in general?) is representation, is 'faking'. So is raytracing, so is Final Gather, so is Global Illumination, radiosity, and everything mental ray and every else does. CG doesn't simulate natural phenomona- it approximates the simulation. How close of an approximation is needed? And what is the tradeoff? For games, and art, the answer is not to achieve physical perfection but to enforce the experience- and for the cost of raytracing you have to sacrafice many other things that would enchance the experience.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with Neox, why would there be no place for it in games? Its not just used for "wicked cool" reflection and refraction, also for some accurate shadows and lighting. In this screenshot, the really thin trees have some very crisp cast shadows, which you don't see in most games due to lo-res shadow maps and the like.

I was really impressed by this, seeing that this is possible in realtime. Sure it takes 16 cores and still runs like ass, but this is definitely a huge step in the right direction for next generation realtime computer graphics.

-caseyjones
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    caseyjones wrote: »
    I was really impressed by this, seeing that this is possible in realtime. Sure it takes 16 cores and still runs like ass, but this is definitely a huge step in the right direction for next generation realtime computer graphics.

-caseyjones

Actually, to reiterate Carmack's views and what I said above, it is a step in the precisely wrong direction. It is difficult to say it is a step in the right direction, when it completely ignores wise use of hardware and technology. At the point real-time raytracing becomes practical on high-end consumer machines, all the work Intel is doing will have become useless, because the hardware will have advanced so far and tech will have changed so much (and NOT because of the current work Intel is doing). And if Intel wants to tailor their hardware for ray-tracing, it is a huge mistake, and people won't use it for that anyway, because it is a gigantic waste of resources.

Anyway, despite the graphics bend to this, it is hardly a discussion applicable to artists... if you want to learn more about it, this topic has been thoroughly discussed in numerous programmer forums and articles.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to burst your gold plated bubble there Professor420, but I did say next generation realtime computer graphics. I didn't specifically say for video games, where it all comes down to performance and optimization. But not wanting to get into a pissing contest with anyone, cos I just don't give a fuck. I thought it was cool. The end.

-caseyjones
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    caseyjones wrote: »
    In this screenshot, the really thin trees have some very crisp cast shadows, which you don't see in most games due to lo-res shadow maps and the like.

Actually that's not raytracing, just ETQW's default "stencil shadows" (same as Doom 3 used).

I like that they have chosen ETQW as a testbed for this stuff, slightly flattering :)
    The Quake3 and Quake4 examples shown are pretty cool too, everything reflecting everything else. Obviously this isn't how it would be used in a real game, but for demonstration purposes it's very effective.

And with regards to the look of the thing ... I actually preferred Island's default water shader (environment map), and the default Strogg forcefield effects. They were set up by artists and therefore look more visually pleasing.

The raytracing stuff is purely tech show-off, it's quite obvious that raytracing does not immediately equal awesome graphics, it's just to show that this is possible now and will probably become more commonplace in the future. Obviously when it's used in an actual game context with set-up by artists and designers, it will be used differently than in a pure tech demonstration, and will therefore look better :)
  • hellobuddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    they seem to have noticed with mirror's edge..

ouch ^_^
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    another point would be those fucking soft alpha, sorting is always an issue and will be as long as it's calculated the way it is right now