Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Special Topics

Hello, I am posting a scene that i have been working on for school this quarter. Please let me know if you have any feed back. Lighting is not my strong point and I could use some advice on what I am doing wrong :)
Thanks
Dany[IMG]file:///G:/Special%20Topics/Final_Project_SpecialTopics/Eypgtian/Martinez_scene_render4_text_lit.jpg[/IMG]

Replies

• Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    image is not showing up. seems to be pointing to a drive on your network?
  • super_villain
    Offline / Send Message
    super_villain polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, you're gonna have to put the image on a website or image hosting service.
  • DanielMartinez
    ?action=view&current=Martinez_scene_render4_text_lit.jpgsorry I put it on photobucket and used the URL but it still isnt showing up

?action=view&current=Martinez_scene_render4_text_lit.jpg
  • DanielMartinez
  • DanielMartinez
  • Mark Dygert
    Interesting, I like it.

I'm not sure what app you're using? I'm guessing since most schools teach Maya thats what you're using? You'll want to look into emissive materials and glow effects, as it looks like light is coming from an unknown source around the crystals but not the crystals themselves. If you're using 3dsmax I can get into more specifics, but I won't bother till I know, as it could be a huge waste of text. =/

You should check your tiling textures, it looks like the seams on some of them aren't tiling seamlessly. I mostly notice it on the ground texture.

The lighting looks to be coming from somewhere in between the ground and the top beams, kind of weird as it looks like it should be coming from the sky, above the pillars and supports. With the exception of the background which looks to be lite during the day, and the rest looks to be early morning or evening?

I'm not really sure what platform or game type this is build for but some of the bigger blocks could have their edges chamfered/smoothed with very little impact to performance.

Some of the carved texture details are overlaid on bricks yet the cracks in the bricks aren't showing through, making them look very ctrl-c ctrl-v. I suspect those details where lifted from photos of interior shots? Its also important to notice that glyphs are carved INTO the rock, not the other way around.

Where you able to use any normal maps? It looks like some of the details have lighting info baked/drawn into the diffuse and this looks to be fighting with your scene lighting at times.