Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1st thread. need some critiques please

Here are some renders of environments that I have modeled. Please feel free to tear them apart j/k. Any feedback would be great, positive or negative. Thanks.

The first two renders here are of the same scene. Just an idea I have been working on for a while.

2570429541_285677f10f.jpg?v=0

2570429359_59f01b0ec8.jpg?v=0

This is an environment I modeled using the ink and paint material in 3ds max

2570429163_6905ee413e.jpg?v=0

Here is an alien base environment that I have been working on.

2570429249_8fdd700898.jpg?v=0

Replies

• Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wilex polycounter lvl 16
    First off combine your threads just post your props here as well and make your images larger at least 1024x768 or larger renders these images are so small it’s kind of hard to see what’s going on. Your presentation needs work it’s hard to say anything about your work when you can't tell what’s going on.

For your environments get us some larger images and give us close up shots of parts that you feel are the most interesting. What are you going for with these environments, are they
    -Realistic or stylized?
    -for a game engine or for a cinematic/movie?
    At the moment they don't look very interesting or impressive it just looks like you're playing with a 3D app. I see fairly primitive models with some very basic to no texture work, a shader with a color assigned to it isn't a texture.

For your props you’re doing a little better. I don't really like looking at things on a white or black background try to choose a more neutral color the white messes with people’s eyes. Give us larger shots with no wireframe just your texture and a simple 3 point light setup that shows it off. I can't tell what’s going on with your textures because of the wireframe. The helmet chin strap or whatever that is looks odd do you have a concept for this piece?

It looks like you're off to a decent start but I would recommend pushing these pieces quite a bit further before putting them into your demo reel/portfolio. I totally understand wanting to get away from the computer for a while after finishing your finals but try to stop by and post at least once a week there's a lot you can learn here.
  • jasonnavoyski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i now know i need to post larger sized images (for future posts) and as far as concept art for the pieces... well, the lighthouse and the cell shaded environments are actually improvements I have made on a past environement, so the concept art wouldn't contribute too much since it is almost a progression. Although I also do concept art, lately I have been just trying to work in 3d which I know can suffer from lack of conceptual design. Lately with projects in school it is hard to spend a needed amount of time on concept art, so sometimes I stick to a rather blunt concept and try to work it in 3d. It's definitely not the best way of approaching it, but I try to learn from mistakes I have made in my work. I have always struggled with concept art. I like doing it when I don't have such harsh time constraints. Thanks for your feedback.
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wilex polycounter lvl 16
    When you don't have concept art just go for photo refference.

I think you should probably start a new project and just leave these one's where they are , it sounds like your burned out on them. All your enviornments are huge try something small like a prop or a small enviornment take your time to do a concept or gather refference and really plan out what you want your final image to look like. What kind of mood or story are you going to tell with this prop or enviornment. Then go for it. Maybe just keep it seperate from your school projects that way you can work at your own pace.