Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Washroom Environment - looking for C&C Please

bluekangaroo
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
bluekangaroo polycounter lvl 13
hey guys, this is a just a lil environment piece I've been working on the past few weeks(my first environment ever) and I'd say I'm at about 90% completion and would very much like to get some feedback n critiques on it before I put this thing in my demo/portfolio.

the environment is rendered using Unreal Engine 3 and all textures, assets, and materials were created by me except for the pistol of course.

Average texture sizes used between; 512x512 and 1024x1024. The only 2048 was used for the floor. I still need to texture and import the toilets, some more graffiti decals, add in some busted glass and a shattered mirror, more garbage/junk/newspapers/etc/ and play with the lighting a little more I think

Additional note. I know the scale is a bit off but I scaled a little higher only for the sake of play-testing since unreal worlds are larger than normal. And at normal scale the character speed is too fast/jumps waaaaay to high for this environment

ericvwipshot008tw2.jpg
ericvwipshot006pz2.jpg
ericvwipshot005pp3.jpg
ericvwipshot004kw8.jpg
ericvwipshot003zs6.jpg
ericvwipshot002yn8.jpg
ericvwipshot001bd2.jpg
ericvwipshot007co2.jpg

Replies

• SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    this dosnt quite have the right feeling atm. the textures work idividually but together i get no feeling for the place.

i would say that the best way to get a more correct feeling would be to make the colour of the walls much lighter, maybe a dirty white not grey, same with the urinals i have never seen grey urinals, also a propper "bog" ceiling would be made of polystyrene tiles like in an office.
    hope that helps

also post with images going downwards
    across f*&ks up the page
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Holy BROKEN FORUMS BATMAN!! First crit, order images vertically ;)

One thing I noticed was the lack of mirrors in any of the scenes. Even if they are broken out, have some frames where they use to exist.
    Also, it looks like you've attempted to have a urinal pulling from the wall... there should be some damage to the wall and additional rusty pipe that use to exist in the wall. The main urinal plumbing is also too shiny.

I'm not sure what some of the pieces on the floor are. Are those giant condoms in front of the urinals? ;)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman wrote: »
    Holy BROKEN FORUMS BATMAN!! First crit, order images vertically ;)

One thing I noticed was the lack of mirrors in any of the scenes. Even if they are broken out, have some frames where they use to exist.
    Also, it looks like you've attempted to have a urinal pulling from the wall... there should be some damage to the wall and additional rusty pipe that use to exist in the wall. The main urinal plumbing is also too shiny.

I'm not sure what some of the pieces on the floor are. Are those giant condoms in front of the urinals? ;)

that is odd...its all verticle on my end. Even on my other computer they are all aligned vertically. Might be an issue with your browser settings/resolution?

yeah mirrors need to be added as I said in first post. N yeah i 'spose the plumbing is a lil too shiny, got carried away with making a shiny/fake reflection material...and the "condoms" are rubber gloves lol
  • kymbyli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The papers on the floor look like they are floating to me.
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    Well,

- The normal maps on the tiles on the walls are IMO way too strong, I think they're supposed to be smoother than that?
    - The glossiness of the tiles don't help to bring out that grungy atmosphere.
    - Change the ceiling's texture to something more plain.
    - The graffiti is too clean and isn't affected by the surface beneath them, so they look flat and floaty.
    - The room is pretty big for a washroom.
    - The walls and floors have little variation, add some dirt overlays or something.
    - Why are there gloves and license plates on the floor everywhere?

IMO.
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    maybe its cos were viewing this in wide ass polycount....
    adam...............do sumit
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the tips guys, ill get to work fixing these issues
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN wrote: »
    Well,

- The normal maps on the tiles on the walls are IMO way too strong, I think they're supposed to be smoother than that?
    - The glossiness of the tiles don't help to bring out that grungy atmosphere.
    - Change the ceiling's texture to something more plain.
    - The graffiti is too clean and isn't affected by the surface beneath them, so they look flat and floaty.
    - The room is pretty big for a washroom.
    - The walls and floors have little variation, add some dirt overlays or something.
    - Why are there gloves and license plates on the floor everywhere?

IMO.

noted. the issues with the grafitti is that by using decals some of them work fine like the large 'UZU') but with others i get endless tiling errors, so I had to change to make them flat planes with opacity masks. dont know any other way to work around this. gloves/license plates.....i KNOW ive seen gloves on the floor in a washroom(prolly just 1 in my scene should do).. license plates...err ya not so much they can go. n the ceiling? you sure dude....its already pretty damn plain in my opinion. any plainer and it'd be cell shaded
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i think the scratches on the tiles look pretty random.. i cant fathom what made those kind of marks, but it makes me think of some horrific creature gone nuts
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Right off the bat the ceiling inside the actual room seems very very noisy...other tha nthat the other obvious visuals are mentioned...

Colors could work well in the end though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Hmm, odd. Looks correct here at home also, so unless Adam fixed something, it must have just loaded wrong for me at work.

I reread your post, now that it's formatted correctly on my browser, and see (like you said), that you already mentioned the mirrors. Sorry about that.

Overall, I think it's looking pretty good. To tie in with what some of the other guys have already said though, the wall tiles could use some work. They have a lot of deep gouges and cracks, but there doesn't appear to be missing pieces. With that kind of damage, pieces would be chipped off/missing. The gouges shouldn't be so deep either.
    I'm not sure if it's the game lighting, or the material you've chosen for the walls, but they're also too shiny IMO. They look like they are made of glass, or the walls are wet. That is, if that's not the look you're going for ;)
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    That bathroom is pretty big, the only places I see bathrooms that large are maybe at an airport. not sure if that's what you're going for though

I think the damage on the floor and the walls definitely needs some work. I think it's great if some of the tiles are broken, but it looks like you have more broken than not, which draws attention to them. Also be conscious of which ones are broken. On the wall for example, what in the world would even be tall enough to break the tiles next to the ceiling??

Also, the placement of the urinals is very strange, usually they put urinals in the corner, you know, for privacy. If you've got them on the end of a corner you're standing there for everyone to see

hope that helps
  • dale22x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dale22x polycounter lvl 10
    use the normal map to give the edge of your urinals a chamfered look....they are really sharp right now..
  • Kawe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kawe polycounter lvl 8
    1. Weird arc thingy over the entrance?
    2. Specualrity gone haywire. The walls look wet but the floor is very dry... and they just dont work out well together.
    3. the bricks on the walls seem to start at different heights which I find very odd. i.e. notice where those half bricks are starting from the floor?
    4. this bathroom is HUGE. you could probably have a minor wrestling tournament with spectators in there
    5. graffiti is nice but some of them look like.. well.. sticker decals..
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A for effort and technical skill.
    C- for building cohesive pieces.

Crits:
    - There is a huge amount of damage applied to the textures, but hardly any damage to the underlaying geometry. It looks like a bomb went off, followed by a fire, and then a good trashing, but everything is more or less intact. Doors are still on their hinges, Corners are straight, all the lights still seem to work fine, urinals are more or less untouched except for a few texture impurities.

- The runner around the bottom of the walls looks pretty clean, so do other elements like the sink counter.
    - The tiles are cracked but none are missing?
    - Most of the maps are stronger then they need to be. The chrome bits don't need to be 100% reflective.
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quite interesting environment. :)

A quick note would be perhaps the tiles on the walls are a little larger than they would be.

Very neat idea though, so keep at it. :)
  • bluekangaroo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig wrote: »
    A for effort and technical skill.
    C- for building cohesive pieces.

Crits:
    - There is a huge amount of damage applied to the textures, but hardly any damage to the underlaying geometry. It looks like a bomb went off, followed by a fire, and then a good trashing, but everything is more or less intact. Doors are still on their hinges, Corners are straight, all the lights still seem to work fine, urinals are more or less untouched except for a few texture impurities.

- The runner around the bottom of the walls looks pretty clean, so do other elements like the sink counter.
    - The tiles are cracked but none are missing?
    - Most of the maps are stronger then they need to be. The chrome bits don't need to be 100% reflective.

cool i appreciate these crits....

some of the tho crits guys....i can see where you're commin from but keep in mind im purposely going for that a lil too much normal, a lil too much spec unreal/gears of war post apocalyptic/trashy/abandoned look....where Especially in gow theres TONNES of things that are too shiny and too bumpy...personally i like the look...thats just me and thats what ive strived for. at this point to add tiles falling off the walls would fry my brain as id have to completely rethink things and start over plus i got the weapon challenge im working on. and like i stated I scaled the washroom up slightly just for testing purposes, but yes there ARE washrooms this large(mine based off reference), in fact larger than this in shopping malls, universities, stadiums etc...let alone airports.

Im gonna have to create some more static meshes and I plan on adding some more damage to areas stated above.

thank you to all who have replied and checked it out =)
  • xensun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    your graffiti breaks every law of physics known to man. It floats above the surface its painted on, not unlike the phantom zone in superman. Also why are there license plates on the floor in a restroom? Ive gone to the restroom in alot of dumps and ive never seen a license plate on the floor, not even in Tijuana.