Home Collaboration & Unpaid Work

A Mod looking for Texturers and Modelers

We are currently developing Tactical Assault a full modification for Unreal Tournament 3. We are looking to make an FPS with killer graphics and old school gameplay. The game is a fast paced action based game that focuses on fun as well as realism. The format is the well known round based, Terrorists against Special Forces, set in various scenarios and environments.

At the moment we are looking for skilled Texture artists and animators to develop both weapons and environmental models for the game. Those who have previous experience working with Unreal Tournament are prefered but the new materials editor is fairly easy to pick up for anyone with experience in texturing.

To give you an idea of the sort of quality the Mod is trying to achieve and the aspirations that we have here are some laterst WIP shots of some of our models...
generator_tn.jpguntextured_ak47_1st_tn.jpgwatertank_tn.jpg

If you are interested Check out our webiste at http://www.tactical-assault.com

If you want to apply or want any more details you can PM me. Alternatively you can stick in an application using the form on our website.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Where iz lopolyz? Highpoly is E-Z pie lol.

Guns./
  • AngryPenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    These are the first person models with the normalmaps that we will be using in game. They are around the same level of polys as the UT3 weapons.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    if i had a nickel for every unskinned ak47 posted as news...

You sure these are the models *WITH* the normal maps? Looks clearly as high poly stuff to me
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    ak_wire_polycount.jpg

*cringe*

Seriously, the polycount is way too high for the amount of modeled detail.
  • Ironwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im with LEViATHAN on this one.. If you take a look at a Halo 1 mastercheif model, it was something like 2000poly. The second halo masterchief was like..3000. I imagine Halo 3 masterchief is... 4000poly. This AK-47, is like... Outstandingly too much. I would suggest keeping weapon poly to, 3000.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    While I think polys can always be spent wisely, aren't the UT3 guns something like 8-10k?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    yeah no problem on those polycounts to be honest. However the mesh has some seriously weird topology. I see like 12 sided polys in there. WTF!!!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to make sure everyone knows: I was just being a dick. AngryPenguin here posted in the Eclipse thread, venting his anger at there only being 'highpoly' art, which 'anyone can do' and that lowpoly was 'a lot harder'. I'm paraphrasing, but basically, it was a good laugh.

And acceptable polycounts or not, these models almost render the normalmaps nigh-useless, and much of the detail really doesn't show. But anyway, the polycount itself is fine. And the polycounts being what they are for what amounts to relatively straight-forward models (more straight surfaces than ut3, I mean), if he used modifiers in max to add any extra detail to the model for subdividing (beveling edges etc...), then the difference between the high and lowpoly would only be a modifier, which seems like a pretty efficient way to work, since you don't need to do any retopologising. That being said, it doesn't help if you're an absolute dick in someone elses thread, ofcourse.
  • AngryPenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im not following what your on about there MP. Mayby im just not used to this thread structure, it seems chronologically backwards to me....

The wireframe AK was a promo shot and I think it was just meant to look cool so its probably not a very good representation of the actual model.

In terms of poly counts the way we are doing it is having a first person model of 8-10K polys and then a third person of around 3K. That way if you have more than one on screen only one will be the high poly one. We did some testing early on and we think that these are realistic limits.

Unfortuntley we have been jumping through some legal hoops recently which has knocked us a bit but I think we are making progresss now.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I donno how Tac Ops 2 was, but just as a vote of confidence, Tac Ops 1 was a nice little Counter-Strike clone for UT1, so if these are the same guys, they likely have a decent idea of what they're doing. You fools should know this, being all oldschool and shit. |: | Shame on you all.

To the OP: Polycount tends to blow a gasket when untextured models are shown off, you'd likely get tons more interest showing off textured assets, as it displays your team is actually competent in multiple aspects. Modeling shit is easy, going the whole 9 yards and finalling an asset is much more impressive.
  • AngryPenguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well we had some legal issues with our name and as a result we decided to rebrand and go our own way... we are still looking for animators and texture artists.

Thanks for the advice Uly... here is some from our latest media release :)

igiscontainers_tn.jpgmi24_hind_august_tn.jpg

We are now www.tactical-assault.com