Home General Discussion

Calling all "Original Q2PMP / Polycounters" and new ones too..

Hunter
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Hunter polycounter lvl 18
It has been way too long since I visited or posted on the PC boards.. I miss the old days of scrambling to post reviews, changing holiday graphics on the main page and of course the best models, pimps, topics on the boards and last, but certainly not least, the QuakeCon and E3 gatherings..

I see so many new members posting and some amazing artists lately and I am happy to see the Polycount community has grown in size and in talent..

I thought I would reach out to all the Polycounters and have everyone check in with updates on whats happening in their lives now.. perhaps we may be able to catch up with some lost souls who sort of disappeared over the years. I would also like to send greetings to everyone who I have met and gotten to know through Polycount, and of course apoligize to those I have lost contact with . (r13, kub, bobo, harl, and a slew of others etc ..) Perhaps we can also use it as an opportunity to get updated contact information in case Emails and numbers have changed..

I tend to be long winded, but Ill wrap this up with a quick update for those that know me :

Been married the past 3 years and have an 18 month old son. I am on my way to retirement, (with a disability pension from my job), and although I am not technically "disabled" I suffered a back injury (stemming from 9-11) which keeps me from working at "full duty" for the rest of my career (for the record, I am one of the few Polycounters NOT in the game / design or graphics industry.) So I will basically be a "stay home dad" for the time being while the "missus" goes to work (whoohoo). Maybe Ill try to utilize the time to familiarize myself with the new people and catch up on all the new and interesting posts.. (LOST thread anyone ??)

I could bore you with a ton of other stuff, but thats for when we all get together again one of these days..

If for some reason there is a similar post to this, then please disregard and accept my warmest greetings and wishes to all the people on the site. Aslo, huge congratulations to all the people who have gotten their dream careers and left their mark on the gaming community with the finest contributions to some of the greatest PC and console games Ive had the pleaseure of playing..

Good luck and thanks for reading..

Hunter (Pat)

Replies

• Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, great to see you around again. Although if you're being a slacker and not working as much you should be here more often. ;) How is your back doing? Is the work restriction more of a technicality or is it still giving you problems?
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Heya Hunter you old dog! Epsilon/Spartan here, going by my Real name now-a-days. Glad you're back, hope to see a lot more of you :).
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I quit q3 player modeling and went into full-on open source content design because I feel there's more exposure from getting their stuff apt-get install'd than go to a gamespy site and find some model. I also support other FOSS games by sniffing out non-Free stuff and offering self-made license-appropriate replacements.

Not considering the games industry assimilation yet. I prefer physical work.
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey gents.. Great to "see" you too.. the back still gives me problems.. I had two surgeries on two different discs(one april 2002 (after which i was good to go for 5 years with no problems) and a second one in Sept 2006 (thats the one that im still "suffering" from) I was bedrdden (sp?) for about 5 months and was basically a mess (lack of exercise and lots of meds severly affected me to the tune of 60 pounds of lost weight (which wasnt a bad thing) but not being able to walk either.. UGH.. not a good thing..

I now have a 3rd disc herniation, but the job is 'letting me go" with a nice pension (tax free whoohoo).. lol But running around after my rugrat isnt helping recovery.. hehe I will be paying more attention to my old "Green and Black" home.

Keep in touch gents.. anymore people out of the woodwork ?
  • illybang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well i'm not coming out of the woodwork, but just wanted to say hi and i guess welcome back? i'm a n00bie on these forums and i would just like to wish you the best with your back problems and your family.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    Hey hunter ! Wow that's ages ago, I think you knew me when I was still 'pestilence' on these here boards. Well, it's been some time since we last spoke, and maybe you don't remember.

It's a shame about your back, but it seems they take care of you, and hey, who doesn't want to spend more time with their family? No doubt you'll keep yourself busy enough to enjoy the time.

Welcome back I say, this green black giant missed its hunter! :D (who where we to go to, to have our speeding tickets 'taken care of' all this time eh? ;) )
  • Nilium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nilium polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know when the cut-off date for 'original' is, but I've been here for about 7 or 8 years now (I was 11 or 12 when I joined o_o). I hopped around nicknames a lot though, so the only folks who seem to actually remember my sorry ass are the ones on IRC.

At any rate, I remember you, and it's nice to see old faces (or names) show up again. Congratulations on your child as well. :) Might not be all good, what with the back, but you're alive and got a kid to boot, so a whole lot more good than bad.

Old names were "Brother Death" and "Wildcard," a lot more time spent as the former though. Eventually just switched to my real name, since all my nicknames were shite anyway. :P
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello! My greatest accomplishment so far has been tricking gauss into coming to iowa to be a level designer! w00t. Nice to see you posting again.
  • TWilson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TWilson polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome back friend.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome back Hunter! Good to see you still kicking, though sorry to hear about your back issues. My dad has been through the same thing and it kinda makes me wonder if he wasn't better off before the surgeries.

I recently made the trek out of the cold northern wastes of Ontario down and out west to California to start work for a new company. It's been a nice refreshing change all around, doing mostly modeling again.

Still got my NYPD blue T you gave me and wear it all the time!

Cheers bud!
  • Hunter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow.. I certainly remember you 'pestilence' as I do the rest too..

...and Gwot.. damn man its been way to long.. I almost forgot about all those t-shirts at E3 and Quakecon.. Looks like I may have to get another round of shirts out one day.. lol

Glad to see everyone is well.. do we still have a Polycounter Quake, UTA, Battlefield servers up and running ? LOL..

Are there any Polycounters still "gaming" ? and if so what games and what servers ??
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TF2 is my current addiction and probably will be for some time to come. =]
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    a fun polyfrag on q3 would be fun but i haven't seen sal manilla in a while.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I don't know if I count (but if that noel-person does, then why not?), but I'm still here! Not very regularly, but still, I post :)

Good to hear you're doing well, not so good to hear about your back. At least you get to spend your time with your family though, that sounds like a good deal :)
    If I had internet on my main pc I'd always be up for some polyfragging, but that's not the case right now (which makes steam a pain in the arse, really.)
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    hiyas ! long time no see..

sorry to hear about your back..

congrats on the kid !

Hi to everone else too Ive been awol for a long time ! good to see some of the familliar names !
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    Hunter!!

Congrats on the youngun, buddy! Glad to see you still remember us crazy folk and stopped by to say hey. ;D
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chunkey polycounter lvl 19
    Hey long time no see fella! dunno if you remember me at all heh

I managed to get in to the games industry with Mobius/Rockstar Leeds, been up here for 5 years now but moving back down to the south coast of the UK in August :)

Rolfie!! how goes it fella?!

this is like a highschool reunion! but without the dodgy name tags and finding out that the lead cheerleader has got fat and boobs have sagged :poly106: :D!!
  • rolfness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rolfness polycounter lvl 18
    chuuunnkeeehh ! good to hear you're doin well !Im doing ok.. better than a kick in the arse, got a baby coming in November this year, we accidentally found out its a boy (thank god) ...

.. /me pokes kubs in the ribs
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    HUNTER, ME BOY!!! What a coincidence! I was just coming in to post a thread very much like this one, and figure I'd horn in on yours... hope you don't mind :)

Hello, everyone! OMFG, how I've missed the old Green and Black! I'm sort of "back" as well. I've been in school these past five years working on my Bachelor's degree, and I just turned in my very last assignment. It's been a long and difficult road, but I'm finally done with it.

Seriously, guys, I've missed you. <<!!HUGS!!>>
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Also, Leilei was clever enough to post with his new nickname without telling you guys his old nickname was Cheapalert.
    And pestibug used to be called Dallas. Remember him? He really wanted that dinosaur model made.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    Crap. Since the Q2PMP days? A lot has happened since then. Since then I've been to college, graduated from college, worked at Office Max for a while, started my own small design firm, got hired by an on-line college, quit that job for a Flash position at a video production company, got fired from that and finally wound up at my current job, tableless web design for a content management system.

Crazy times. Nice to hear from an old-timer again. And to hear everyone's story over the past years.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
    Hunter my man! Awesome to "see" yah :)

Funny week, first I discover I've spent the last six months working and smoking alongside War|ord without realising it (he grew up a lot since I last saw him), and now you pop up to say hello. Magic.

So, It's been a long while since we traded greetings, so you may know some of the following, but now I work at Volition (they of Saints Row infammy, which I worked on), currently working on a sequel to Red Faction. Me and Tins are still married and have a little polycounter called Sam (15 months old - We need Polycount Onsies/Diapers dammit ;)) and are in the process of buying our first house. Oh, and I finally took and passed my driving test - hurrah.

Sucks to hear about your back man, but I hope it's some small consolation that you did it while doing something heroic rather than slipping on some ice or something (Well, I think it was herioic - I've not forgotten how concerned we all were about you in the day s following 9/11). Hopefully it won't trouble you so much now you'll no longer be running after perps looking like something from the opening sequence to T J Hooker (but less flabby) ;).

I don't hang out here as much as I once did - time seems harder to come by for some reason, but I still read up every other day and post on very rare and special occassions like this one.

Oh, yeah, my tag used to be HarlequiN... Oh, it still is? Wow, it occurs to me that it's been HarlequiN for 19 years now. That's a bit of a headfuck. :D

EDIT - Oh, and now I've read the whole thread properly HI! to Shadie and Rolf too - Miss yous guys!.
  • pestibug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pestibug polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    Also, Leilei was clever enough to post with his new nickname without telling you guys his old nickname was Cheapalert.
    And pestibug used to be called Dallas. Remember him? He really wanted that dinosaur model made.

You lying bastard :p
  • KRakarth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KRakarth polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, now theres some memories. Hello to everyone. Especially Harl and Chunkey. Its nice to see everyone doing so well.
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nfrrtycmplx polycounter lvl 18
    Wow... this is a blast from the past...

Let's see, Like Harl was saying I've been working with him for 6 months... (aka War|ord, Whore|ord... and people still call me Whore... in real life... who don't use forums... ) But yeah... crazy stuff mang.

Sorry to hear about your back as well, my father broke his in the oil field *** waits for Malekyth to pop out of the wood work to make fun of him *** and he's been getting around for years, but still has back pain... so yeah man... sorry to hear you're going to have to deal with that. But like others have said, I too appreciate the heroism!!!

I've been at Volition for 6 months... I started working with Wrath at 2015 as my first gig... then went to NC to work at Redstorm... then bounced over to CA to work at Liquid Ent. not developement...

I make dirt... it mostly looks like dirt.

My life has been pretty crazy for the last forever... but it's good.

Great to see some of the old polylcount/q2pmp clowns again...

Cheers!!! And good luck with your back man.

Whore
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ... and btw

TNSLB!!!! OMG! WTF!?
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i always wanted to see a spinosaur in quake3 anyway

maybe someone should post a request and hope that FRAG COW will do it!!!!!! frag cow he makes everything!
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bloody hell we're all coming out of the woodwork here!

Gonna have to do a UK Polycount meet some time in the near future, get a load of guys together and get seriously hammered! :)

Anyways, KRakarth! hows things going mate? not heard from you in absolutely ages mate!
  • TNSLB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TNSLB polycounter lvl 18
    oh ... and btw

TNSLB!!!! OMG! WTF!?

WTF what?!

Hi Hunter, Shadie, Krakie, et al!! (Not you, chunk, I see you on irc all the time ;) )

/ETA - pics of our boy - http://www.flickr.com/photos/tnslb/
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *yawn*

/sleepy

hola Hunter!

I still post here, just not as much these past couple months with our game coming to an end and all.

This is a great thread.

I had forgotten about Frag Cow until just now! :D
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    This is indeed a great thread.
    Nice to hear you guys back here again! :)
  • Chunkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's like surprise surprise but without Cilla Black lol
  • Malekyth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Malekyth polycounter lvl 18
    Wow! Peeps! Everyone's turning up this week!

Sorry to hear that the ol' back finally won, Hunter. Back pain sucks. It's the worst. Toothaches are like long sensual massages in comparison, stabbing headaches like a relaxing soak in a hot tub with a naked person named Hilde and her naked identical twin Ingrid and their naked nymphomaniac friend Yukio. Take care of yourself! Avoid re-injury. Hire minions! They lift stuff!

Warlord! Dude, I was wondering what had happened to you not long ago. When the assassins never reported in, I became ... concerned. I would've asked one of the Epic boys but couldn't remember your real name. I suck. It's true. And I'm like, 34; I'm not allowed to make fun of people anymore, unless they talk *real funny.

Hehe, Gwot finally escaped Canada. That's great man, I hope we find out what you're working on soon! I'm still working on the shadowy mystic rites necessary to steal your modeling mojo. Anyone know how to tell whether a newt is a virgin? Do newts even *have tears?

I'm in Boston and am four days away from being unemployed again. But I'm looking forward to it this time! I'm fully prepared to chill, animate whatever I feel like working on, and burn through savings until I have to be gainfully employed again. Boston's weather sucks and I would like to leave. Alas, my girlfriend (UPDATE!: I talked to a girl) doesn't. Maaan.

And hi to everyone else too. :) I'm glad I checked in.
  • ShadoKat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadoKat polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, Malekyth even! I remember your tooth drama... it's the reason I brush my teeth every day (with the occasional rigorous flossing, of course). And Tins! And Harley! And kub! And... well... everybody!! Oy, my hugbone is going to be sore.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey mal, yeah finally broke the chain. =] Good to see you still kicking around here. And war... I still miss your #md stories. Glad to see you found something more lucrative to keep you busy than wearing out keyboards in IRC though! Congrats =]
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've been around these parts now for 7 years now, yet I don't feel like thats long enough to post catch-up in this thread! Yikes!

milk, joi, brome, adambrome...
  • nfrrtycmplx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Mal, i didn't know you left NC... Congrats on the talking to a girl thing, didn't know that happened either. Sorry to hear you're not making fun of people anymore... i'll try to do your share.

GWOT! i ran out of time to wear out keyboards about 5 years ago or so... so that means i have a lot of stories to tell.

... sorry to have confused you TNSLB... not my intention... entirely.

oh and my name is Don , you tool!!! :)... no worries mang, no one ever remembers :(.

Anyway... later.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    Cool to see the ancients chattering here... I always thought they were dead.

Hi Malekyth! Lame about the lady stuff. I'll keep my ear to the ground for animation work if you'd like, just let us know if i should ping some people. (not that you'd have any problems anyway) ;)
  • bearkub
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bearkub polycounter lvl 18
    I don't buy this whole "talked to a girl" malarkey.

Thaaat's right I said malarkey!
  • cholden
  • Jon Jones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jon Jones polycounter lvl 18
    Shit, Chris, don't go posting all that crap! :)

Man, looking through those really takes me back. I didn't realize I'd been doing this stuff for ten years. What a mindfuck!

It's awesome to see you guys. Bringing back tons of memories. I'm not even that old but I still feel crazy nostalgia. Hunter, man, sorry to hear about the back issues, but congrats on wife and baby! Also, haha, I still have that E3 2000 shirt, and I still wear it regularly! :) I was wondering what you were up to the other day when I put it on...

What have I been doing? Well, I haven't hung around here much in quite awhile. I did the contract artist thing at Liquid Development for awhile, then went on to work at Ready At Dawn Studios and shipped Daxter (which has sold over 2 million copies worldwide! omg!), then I moved to Austin to work for NCsoft, where I work on Dungeon Runners. I don't make much art anymore. Not sure how I swung it but I actually leapt into management and I've spent the last two years running my own outsourced art team, and that affords me the opportunity to get to work with some oldschool polycounters. :)

I run a blog, too: www.thejonjones.com

Aside from that, well... that's all, really.
  • mrawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mrawolf greentooth
    Hey Hunter,

Good to see you about again.:)