Home General Discussion

QA Tester

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
I'm thinking of getting a QA job with EA, because I need to start working, but I remember most of my teachers at school telling me to never get a QA job, because you never go anywhere from there.

Does anyone know first hand or know someone who started out as QA then got promoted to an artist? Do employers even count that as industry experience at all, or do they just laugh when someone has that on their resume.

Replies

• blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    No offense, but your teacher doesn't know what he's talking about. It's experience, and I know a couple of people who have gone from QA to other disciplines.

If you get a QA job, you'll know people inside the company and have a direct line to submit your portfolio to, as well as supervisors to vouch for your work ethic. That doesn't mean you won't need to improve your skills though. If you have a crappy portfolio, it won't matter what your work ethic is, you won't go anywhere. Still, QA itself can be a great career if you're good at it.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    You're teacher's full of it, to be honest. I personally started my career as a certification tester and worked my way up to various companies. It's a job in the industry, it's not making art but it's experience within the games industry. Punch your teacher in the chest.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Yes, I've know a lot of people spanning over several previous companies who started at QA and worked their way up. In fact, if you applied at EA, you'd learn all about their well organized system of promotion. Be clear with your intent from the start, and the people around you will likely help you fulfill that dream.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Gavimage wrote: »
    Punch your teacher in the chest.

*sternum. A straight punch to the chest may be unsatisfactory; a punch in the sternum always hurts.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, what the above people said. QA can definitely get you somewhere, if you have what it takes and refuse to let go of your dreams. Take Harvey Smith, as one example, who worked as QA at Origin on System Shock, and a few years later is credited on Deus Ex -- one of the best games ever made -- as a senior designer.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While all of the above is correct, it is important to remember that you MUST work on and improve your portfolio. Good employee or not, you will never be transferred to an art spot if your work isn't up to snuff. This can be hard sometimes if you are in a QA role that sucks lots of hours, and then you expect to go home and play WoW or some game for the rest of the night. You need to carry your school work ethic until you land an art job or are promoted- having a job in the industry, hell having a full-time job at all, may lull you into not working as hard as you should. I say look for a QA job if you can't get an art job; but after a couple months, look at how much work you've done and how much your work has improved and how much closer you are to an art job- if you haven't been doing enough work, either work QA less and art more or quit altogether and work somewhere part-time while working on your portfolio.
  • Reverenddevil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reverenddevil polycounter lvl 9
    Don't punch your teacher, burn them or stab them in the eyes with a stick. I for one started out as a tester and worked my way up and out. Just let people know who can move you know what you want to do. Work on your stuff for wherever you want to get into and work hard. I also have known tons of people who started out in QA. One of the owners of Obsidian started out in QA and worked his way up to Producing etc. and now owns a tremendously successful studio.
    So tell your teacher to suck it...
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Never trust anything said by a teacher that hasn't actually worked in the industry :)
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm considering going this route as well because I have about a month... then I really don't have a choice :)
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I know two artists who worked in QA.

I'd say it IS the road less traveled, but the benefits are that you will have experience in a games company.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I initially applied for a QA position a few years back while I was still studying (unfortunately the company ran into financial difficulty as I was about start and never worked a single shift), to get some experience in the industry and work my way up. Though I was lucky enough to start off as an artist.
    There are a few guys at my studio who started out as QA and have moved into different roles (Artists, Level Builders, Designers). I would highly recommend going for a QA position if you're having troubles getting an art role. But be prepared to stay there for a while until you can prove yourself.
    Good luck, mate.

-caseyjones
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you sooooo much everyone.... i really appreciate what has been said, because for some reason I feel like a complete failure if I don't get an art job right out of college. I know now that I'm not and I can move up.. IF I WORK BY BUTT OFF ON IMPROVING MY SKILLS... which I will. :) Thanks again!
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and why do teachers say stuff like that to students, when they themselves have no idea if thats true or not, kind of annoying.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I would look at it this way. It gives you a job working for a video game company while you can improve your portfolio instead of say working at Best Buy. It will help pay bills but the real benefit is that you can show you are a hard worker and you will get to know all the right people and that is a huge bonus my friend.

Just keep working on that portfolio.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    joe gracey wrote: »
    Oh and why do teachers say stuff like that to students, when they themselves have no idea if thats true or not, kind of annoying.
    Teachers generally say these things because they either assume its the case of have heard from someone else (most likely someone with no industry experience). And because they are your teacher, you'd think what they tell you is true... Why else would you be paying to be there.
    I learned more outside of my games course than I did in it. Even more so on the job.

-caseyjones
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    As said....I for one worked in QA before becoming an artist...

And while I was at EA Canada I heard there was one guy who was in QA who had a really good design idea and now jumped into position as a producer for that project he proposed...

All that necessarily boils down to is that...if you can deliver something to the marketplace and what the employer wants...you will get what you want.

And i hate to say it...unless your prof says its because of the end of OT...your teacher doesn't know what he's talking about.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    just keep working on improving your stuff and it wont matter where you started :)
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    JesseMoody wrote: »
    I would look at it this way. It gives you a job working for a video game company while you can improve your portfolio instead of say working at Best Buy. It will help pay bills but the real benefit is that you can show you are a hard worker and you will get to know all the right people and that is a huge bonus my friend.

Just keep working on that portfolio.

I agree with Jesse here, but you guys have to consider one thing.

Something that separates "us from them" is that a lot of us have worked hard to get where we are today, regardless of whether or not we worked as a QA or at a shitty small studio that didn't pay anything.

A QA job or an intern isn't necessarily a guarantee if you don't put forth 120% day in and day out. Some studios push their QA and testing staff to ridiculous hours that may cause you to become disinterested or exhausted after 10-14 hour days, and you might not be making much cash while you are doing it.

One of my old roommates worked for a studio here in San Diego with this grand idea that he would "get his foot in he door" and after working for close to a year during alpha/beta/gold he was pushing 6-7 days a week with only enough time to come home, eat, go to bed, and get up the next day to do it all over again.

After pushing 60-70 hour weeks for months on end, he was let go with about 2 days notice due "cutbacks" and never had time to do much of anything that really put any kind of portfolio.

Is it his fault? Yes and no. He was a bit of a lazy-ass, but I would go crazy working as a tester with those sort of hours.

My point? Make sure you are testing at a decent studio that actually has an opportunity to move forward. Ask other employees there that have actually moved up through the ranks and aren't burned out disgruntled mice running the wheel of QA day-in and day-out.

It's a necessary job, and YES it can get your foot in the door - but keep in mind the sort of commitment you will have to make in that position, and the studio you will be working for.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    having been a QA tester, I agree with what has been said here. Keep working on your portfolio while working QA because you never know when an opportunity may arise in the company you are working in.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Ever seen Grandma's boy? This is EXACTLY how the industry works. Just do what he did and you'll be fine.

That was a joke of course, but its a good movie. The main character is in a similar situation.
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    We've hired a few QA people here but I can't say that any of them are artists. They have gone on to being designers or production coordinators.

Being an artist is a skill. A skill that has nothing to do with QA. If you ever do make the transition to an artist, it will be 90% based on your portfolio and not your experience/repertoire with the company or employees.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I worked QA at EA for a summer contract. When I looked to go back there later they had started outsourcing all of their testing. You were no longer considered an EA employee, did not get any benefits of the facilities there, and all of the people I knew who did go back said they regretted it. This was EA Canada and a year ago, though, so who knows if things are the same still or elsewhere.

When you work QA at EA you are a number; a cog in the machine. You'll stay that way likely for several years until you shift into an assistant producer position or leave. What you should be doing is considering working there because you need the money while you build up your portfolio to apply to a different company with.

Another thing, a lot of people tell stories about people getting 'great jobs out of QA' from 10 years ago. The industry has changed very much since then.
    1) A monkey with half a brain can do QA and they do. It's not a great showpiece of skill.
    2) Lots of talented people are competing for jobs regardless of industry experience and a good portfolio will kick the shit out of a QA bullet point. Think about it, why the hell would you look to QA to find artists?
    3) QA is heavily outsourced in major studios and outsourced employees get little respect, usually for good reason.

Testing at a more tight-knit studio would likely give more opportunities for advancement.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Two QA people sit next to me at work. They both work in 3dsmax. They scrutinize all artist's work and make sure it's as optimal as possible. They catch all of the bugs, etc. They already have the art skills, so I don't see why a transition to full art staff wouldn't be possible.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    @Ott - (I know you were pointing work hours meaning you might not have time to work on the portfolio).

You won't always get the job as an artist at the firm you worked for, but it still counts as experience for any job applied for.

Working in QA means you might end up with several months experience of working in a games studio. Not as an artist, but he's seen how the offices work, how people dress, what stress is like at peak times, how people work at peak times. He's dealt with numerous bugs and knows that sometimes bugs are very picky (or subjective) and annoy artists, and that some bugs artists are just a bit fucking lazy at times.

In fact, that'd be a good enough statement from a QA person from any company if I was interviewing them (and if they had a good portfolio).
    When you work QA at EA you are a number; a cog in the machine. You'll stay that way likely for several years until you shift into an assistant producer position or leave.
    So, as an artist get games experience in QA and then if work hard on a portfolio you can possibly get a job as an artist.

What do you need to do to become a producer?

Oohh...controversial!
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Acc: if that was EA Burnaby, from what i've heard, nothing's changed.

At least with EA i've heard that it's hard to get out of the testing area. the managers seem to not like helping people advance, and from friends telling me, even employees have to apply through their job site like anyone else for positions.

And for Volt, I saw some post on craigslist saying he was scammed by them. Asked for his bank account and then not giving him a job. me thinks it was a scammer and not volt, but tough to say if he was scammed or not though.

My perception of game testing is it's slave labour for some places. Other places, as has been stated, don't slave drive the testers. Only testers I have known were friends that did it at ea between 1st and 2nd year at school and most were not too big of doing testing again and it really didn't help when they graduated and were looking for work.
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's EA casual, in Salt Lake City. It's a relatively new company, and I actually interviewed for an artist position with them, and they told me they wanted to hire me. Two months later they said they didn't have any entry level artist positions open, but they said I could do QA and then maybe get promoted after I'm done with that. Who knows what will happen though, I'm just gonna work on my stuff as much as I can, and hopefully impress them enough that they will want to give me an artist position.
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Only just saw this thread - and your teacher is speaking a load of cobblers

I started out working in Q&A, worked at EA QA to start with actually - spent a few years working QA for a few different companies before moving into animation. The company I was with were very cool about me moving into a new position and actually let me spend a day a week working as a part time animator in the company while doing my QA job. 6 months after I started doing this I was working as a junior there and a couple of years down the line I became a fulltime animator

So QA is a good step, as you get to know people and make contacts which are extremely useful, just make sure you keep teaching yourself the things you will need for your intended career - and try to steer yourself in that direction when the opportunity arises
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I worked QA at two different Publishers before I got a job as an artist (Activision and Vivendi).

Honestly it was fun and I learned a lot about the production side of video games, but the actual QA job didn't get me any closer to becoming an artist. As others are saying, QA at publishers is completely disconnected from the developers, and there is very little communication with the devs aside from a few phonecalls or emails. I didn't start meeting with the devs until I was in a project lead position, and that was a year into it.

My recommendation is to take the job, because it sure as hell beats flipping burgers. If you can get into QA at the developer studio, then you have a much better chance of working up towards a role as an artist.
    Just know that if you are working QA at a publisher the corporate ladder goes straight up to production coordinator/producer type of work. Any other opportunities will only be more commonly available if you go out of your way to make the connections outside of work (company parties etc.)