Home General Discussion

Ugh, shooters

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I posted this on our internal forums here at work but thought I'd ask here as well...

I'm finding myself more and more tired of shooter genre. I do have my favourites that I'll likely play for awhile, but I don't get excited over them that much.

What I am wondering, is if anyone can recommend a game or two along the lines of Sim City, Railroad Tycoon, Rollercoaster Tycoon, etc. etc.

One game I am looking forward to is Cities XL: http://www.citiesxl.com/ (from the creators of City Life). And this is why:
The game’s online features and services will allow players to create interconnected cities on virtual and persistent planets. Mayors can share and trade with one another, specialize their economy and team up with befriended cities to create sprawling metropolises. Life on the planet will be punctuated by events and competitions - a concert held in one town may, for example, be attended by visitors from other areas who can also enjoy a walk around the city to admire the urban creations of multiple players. By combining a fantastic single-player game with the social and multiplayer aspects of an MMO, CITIES XL™ will shape the future of the genre by offering more variety, bigger cities and multiple gameplay layers.

Can anyone recommend games along this line? It doesn't have to be a city builder - but that type of game (btw, what is the genre these kinds of games fit in?).

Here's some already suggested to me:
  • Evil genius
  • Tradewars

Replies

• Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dungeon Keeper 1 or 2 (If you can find them)
    Startopia (might be spelling that wrong)
    And if you can find it, theres an olllllld LucasArts game called Afterlife, where you run Heaven and Hell.

Dang, I've played waaaay too many games....
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rome Total Waaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr!!!
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    if you like roller coaster tycoon, you should check out Theme Park. Pretty old game, dunno if it even runs on xp, but damn if it's not a satisfying experience.

You might also like Industry Giant. I haven't played it, but a friend of mine really liked it and he tends to have good taste when it comes to strategy and economic games.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Learn to play dwarf fortress, and you'll fall in love.
    http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

If you want to know what you're getting into it, check out this SomethingAwful Let's Play that popularized it:
    http://fromearth.net/LetsPlay/Boatmurdered/
  • nacire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nacire polycounter lvl 17
    While not terribly deep or new, it is one of my old standbys!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ActRaiser
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Velociraptor safari
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I second theme park and add theme hospital. If you want moar, pm me Adam, I managed to make it run on XP (theme park).
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    Imperium Galactica 2 is good.

Its planetary management component can be either automated, or manual, like sim city with a point/purpose. Placing defenses, research instillations, etc. while the major portion of the game is galactic conquest/defense. So there is army building in addition to the city management.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive heard sins of a solar empire is good but Im in england and they dont sell it here yet :P
    Evil genius was good but I think the gameplay was too balanced...as you get better stuff the bad guys also get better and more numerous ...so the better stuff becomes obsolete almost immediately and all fun goes out the window fast.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    Theme Park is awesome
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Is theme park the 3d one? If it is, I didn't like it much over Rollercoaster tycoon.

Sins of a Solar Empire is a fantastic game that Ive played the crap out of.

Same with Afterlife, that game rocked my teenage ass.

I will check out the rest of the suggestions. Industry Giant sounds interesting.

Keep the suggestions coming!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Oh - and anyone else interested in Spore and Fable 2? Guuuuh I want those games now!
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    yes please GIFV spore and fable2! I loved Fable 1 even if i was kinda pissed at TLC after i had already payed for the original. However currently i am totally pissed off at games since i cant pay for mass effect for the PC that i have been waiting for since forever! WHYYYYY does it take over a week to get to europe??? Any of you pros that can give me a good reason why it takes a whole week after US release this day and age?
  • Martin Henriksson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin Henriksson polycounter lvl 9
    Agree with the one who said dungeon keeper 1-2, seriously if you never played DK1-2 you are NOT a gamer! 2 of the best games EVER!

Ill just add my list of none shooters that i love (hate shooters anyway ;D)

DK 1-2
    Fallout 1-2
    BG1
    Planescape Torment
    Beneath a steel sky
    KOTOR (probably mass effect aswell)
    VTM: Bloodlines (with patches to fix unplayable bugfest)
    Dawn of war
    Psychonauts
    and many more

but more on topic: (im slightly drunk and just noticed what you was really asking :D)

HOMEWORLD god damnit! :D
    CIV?
    Pizza tycoon :D
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    I think they remade theme park recently and turned it into a pile of shit

the original is what you want

behold the glory!
    theme-park-20070314000446463.jpg
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Get the Spore Creature Creator...(free download coming soon). Then pre-order Spore.

The overhype of Fable still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. It wasn't a bad game, it just wasn't what I thought it was going to be. And the loading after every area was annoying.

If you want a good RPG to play, download the free version of Betrayal at Krondor (1993 RPG of the year, I believe). Great game, great story...but nothing like simcity. :)
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    adamBrome wrote: »
    is if anyone can recommend a game or two along the lines of Sim City, Rollercoaster Tycoon,
    SimThemePark. That one's the 3D one.
    I didn't enjoy Theme Park much, though Theme Hospital is good
    Bullfrog games tend to have no throttling

I can't believe Transport Tycoon isn't mentioned yet. That one's relaxing and is focused on competitive transport of supplies. It also has fun multiplayer as well.
    You can buy a copy of Transport Tycoon Deluxe then run it on the OpenTTD engine for full nativeness for your operating system.
  • sub_roland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sub_roland polycounter lvl 12
    i have to agree with cheez, I am a huge fan of afterlife if you can still find it and run it, its a fun go
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    What about good old Sim City 4? :)
    I've been playing EVE:Online, which is like crack. There's a 21day trial on Steam.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    EVE is insane. If you are into complex economies, play it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Ah yes, Transport Tycoon is another 'alltime favourite' of mine.
  • jeremy price
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremy price polycounter lvl 18
    hey Adam,
    i've always had a soft spot for a good rts.. 'rise of nations' was a favourite.
  • RustyFranks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RustyFranks polycounter lvl 17
    [MILES] wrote: »
    ..... Betrayal at Krondor (1993 RPG of the year, I believe). Great game, great story.... :)

excellent book series as well btw... raymond feist iirc

sry i have no games cept ones allready mentioned
  • rebb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rebb polycounter lvl 17
    Rome Total Waaaaaaaaaaaarrrrr!!!

And if your Machine allows, Medieval 2 : Total War .
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    hey Adam,
    i've always had a soft spot for a good rts.. 'rise of nations' was a favourite.

Seconded. Great combat system and complex build/upgrade/economic structure = awesome.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheez wrote: »
    Dungeon Keeper 1 or 2 (If you can find them)
    Startopia (might be spelling that wrong)
    And if you can find it, theres an olllllld LucasArts game called Afterlife, where you run Heaven and Hell.

Dang, I've played waaaay too many games....

Thank you for stealing what was going to be my post. Now I didn't have to go through the trouble of typing it out! heh.
    So yeah, Dungeon Keeper is an absolute must. I personally much prefer 1 (sorry daz ;)), and with only a few tweaks that runs great on xp, but dk2 really isn't bad either.
    Startopia is great fun for a while, although I find I run out of enthousiasm for it after a few games. And Afterlife is AGES ago. I have some pretty vague memories of that, heh.

Other games you could consider are the Populous ones, and the Settlers games. I think the genre (as loosely defined as it is) is just a subsection of sim-games. or 'godgames'. I personally really love them as well. There's a populous coming out for the ds which is looking really good, might want to keep an eye on that one!

edit: Oh, I just remembered another one I couldn't think of before: the anno series of games. I've only played the first one, but I hear they're all pretty fun. Anno 1602, Anno 1503 and Anno 1701 are the titles for those. The developer (Sunflowers, a german dev) is apparantly now part of Ubisoft, as well.

edit AGAIN: From the wiki "in the USA, Canada and Australia released as 1602 A.D." and the same goes for the others I mentioned.

editeditedit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:City_building_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Economic_simulation_games
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_game
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:God_games

You know, in case the thirty suggested games in this thread weren't quite enough.
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Someone mentioned Rise of Nations (awesome), so I would also recommend Rise of Legends. The campaign is a wee bit weak sauce but its a bloody creative universe, great art direction, beautiful art, and an awesome score (yeah, I'm a score nerd).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Did anyone try the new Railroad Tycoon released in '07? (Or maybe it was '06?)

I read the news when it was first released and it was reported to be pretty buggy so I stayed away from it. Anyone know if its fine and fixed now? I'd love to give it a run through.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    best thread ever.

yeah, go play psychonauts if you haven't yet, it's quite charming... although it's not what you requested.

i enjoyed viva pinata, and of course, the katamari games are the shit. they're not quiiittee what you're looking for but they're getting close, i think. certainly viva pinata is.

i hear you tho. it would be nice to play games that have different modes of thinking. i was looking at a video for the old raiden games, and i realized that they're basically a tribalistic, trial-by-fire right of passage -- I've got to get through this, and overcome all of these brutal hardships-- these things coming to destroy me, I've got to destroy them. it's rare that you see something from a larger perspective -- perhaps -- I'm a part of this world and i grow and expand by exploring and accepting it into myself, rather than destroying it.....
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    MightyPea wrote: »
    So yeah, Dungeon Keeper is an absolute must. I personally much prefer 1 (sorry daz ;)), and with only a few tweaks that runs great on xp, but dk2 really isn't bad either.

No worries Pea. DK2 came *after* EA bought Bullfrog, DK1 was before. We did what we could, but it was bound to be an inferior product. EA weren't having any of that 'when it's done' nonsense :-)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    an oldie called "beast and bumpkins 2" or something, that game ruled, cant find it tho.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    Syndicate / syndicate wars prolly need dos box to run them if you can find them :)

Dungeon keeper is still awesome, if you like slapping and miss treating imps overlord on the 360 ain't too bad.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Syndicate Wars was a damn fine game. Another set of goldies imo, are Myth/Myth 2: Soulblighter.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Ive still got syndicate wars cd next to my pc hehe, bullfrog games rocked!

John_Warner...viva pinata? seriously? I played it for a while but just didnt see what was fun about it, my animals just made me annoyed by fighting with eachother and being killed by freaks that inhabit the lands. Then again I never really got what was so fun about "the sims" either.

Ive got Civ4 its pretty good if your in the mood for world domination hehe
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Johny wrote: »
    an oldie called "beast and bumpkins 2" or something, that game ruled, cant find it tho.

ahahah
    i remember that game. you made me remeber of megascore magazine. good old days
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    i've got both dungeon keepers, 1 and 2, nice games. The first, is a master piece.

I would suggest to play Giants: Citizen kabuto, great gameplay, epic action, great characters, very fun (It's one of my fav games for PC). Beyond Good & Evil is nice too, with hours and hours of fun.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    Ged wrote: »
    John_Warner...viva pinata? seriously? I played it for a while but just didnt see what was fun about it, my animals just made me annoyed by fighting with eachother and being killed by freaks that inhabit the lands. Then again I never really got what was so fun about "the sims" either.

I enjoyed viva pinata for a while.. i liked building my garden and making it all pretty-like. I was a bit choked up later on when i 'ran out of space' however.. they only let you put in so much stuff. pissed me right off. it's sitting on my shelf at the moment... heh.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I played the hell out of Viva Pinata, loved that game! I want more goodness like that. Animal Crossing on the DS was fun. I'd play before bed so I'd fall asleep faster. Er, wait a second...
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    heroes of might and magic 3 and 5?

yeah the total war series is awesome, and theres another one coming out in a year or so called empires, where you can finally boat around in ships.
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    If you are into the Crafting/Building side of MMOs, I have a couple of friends who loved A Tale in the Desert.

I've never played it, so I can't comment anymore on it but they had a lot of fun building random things with other folks in the game.

http://www.atitd.com/index.shtml
  • LEViATHAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LEViATHAN polycounter lvl 11
    I'd suggest Red Alert 2, with the Yuri's Revenge expansion.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    there's always the classic lucasarts games. I know you love full throttle brome :)

How about the monkey island series, maniac mansion, day of the tentacle, sam and max?

Grim fandango? (honestly not played, but have a copy I need to install)

And there is always the new sam and max series worth checking out on steam.