Home Technical Talk

New Silo topology tool coming soon

greentooth
Offline / Send Message
CheeseOnToast greentooth
http://www.silo3d.com/users/Feed/files/surfacetoolpreview.mov

Looks like they took the best parts of the NEX plugin/polyboost and Silo-fied it. Currently in beta, looking forward to this one. Retopologising is the most tedious part of my job, apart from Lodding and exporting.

Replies

• LoTekK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LoTekK polycounter lvl 17
    oh shit, that looks way hotter than I had imagined. Definitely looking forward to the next release (also for the massive fixes to the UV toolset).
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Looks good can't wait.

Alex
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    It's a really simple tool. It's not loaded up with functions the way NEX is... BUT... when you combine this thing with a few simple tweaks to your mouse config, it makes a world of difference. I'm a huge NEX fan. Not such a big fan of maya though so I've been waiting for NC to add something like this as I'd much rather model in Silo and retopo work is a big part of my modeling now. With the minor tweaks to my mouse config this tool rocks and easily replaces polyboost or nex for me.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Very exciting news. I use Silo only as my topology tool (I'd pay the price for it if it only had retopology tools), and haven't really dived into the other, more traditional uses of the application.

So, this looks useful.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    really looking forward to the upcoming updates. saw this last night and I'm psyched. The UV fixes will be welcome as well but I've gotten pretty used to doing my uv work in silo already. Even with the problems I have found it to be faster for me then max.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Cool, looks to be a tad slower than Topogun but good still.
    Anyone knows if it will be limited to quads only? That's like the huge drawback of Nex's Quaddraw for instance.
    I always found Silo's retopo workflow quite slow, I am glad they had the guts to completely change it. Go go Silo!
  • Mark Dygert
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I've been using Silo & ZB almost exclusively for months now. I already liked Silo for any ReTopo but now...its even better. Strangely enough, my highpoly performance in Silo has been a bit crap lately....

Any suggestions besides Polycruncher I can use to decimate my models prior to import into Silo?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well something I find useful is to not necessarily import the veryvery high version of a model to be retopoed - most of the time division level 2 or 3 works just as well since they don't have the tiny surface details that the lowpoly won't show...

About Silo - what is your guys experience with their forums and the creator's reactivity to user suggestions? Last time I checked, the forums iwere mostly users talking amongst themselves with no answers from the devs, which I find a bit sad considering how powerful Silo could quickly become...
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Pior: They seem pretty good about that actually although...its only a 2-3 person company from what I understand. They have only so much time to develop the app & reply to forum threads I suppose.

I dont normally import the highest subD from ZB, but...for the girl model I've posted recently I started from a glorified box and anything but the last 1-2 subdivisions its really chunky on the ears & mouth. Also, anything I've created using Mesh Extract can only be reduced so far and has the same issue...
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13

Any suggestions besides Polycruncher I can use to decimate my models prior to import into Silo?

Meshlab. It`s free andcan deal with more polygons than polycruncher in my experience. Very nice software.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meshlab is what I use too.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Pior : They used to respond all the time, but as Scooby says they're only a 2 man team with one other guy acting as support. They've started up the weekly update again on the forums, and I've made several suggestions in the past which they've later implemented/fixed. On the whole, they're very receptive to good suggestions. Best seventy-five quid I've ever spent on an app anyway.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for that Vik.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right on Cheese, that's good to know. I must admit I was quite into it at some point, almost bought it but gave up because of the support... I'm glad to hear they are back in action!
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They kept to themselves during a long period after the release of the first beta, but now they started communicating regularly again. Luckily so, since it's what attracted me to Silo in the first place!
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    The best thing about it is that because it's Silo, I bet the hotkeys are all context sensitive with multiple functions. NEX is great, but last time I used it it had some really finger-bending hotkey setups which couldn't easily be changed. That was quite a while ago though.

Gwot, sounds like you're already in the beta...have they managed to keep it nice and simple to use as per usual?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheese: yep, it's a great addition to the toolset and fits right in with the 'do more with less' approach that silo is known for. Revamping my workflow with just that one tool made it feel very Nex-like - not better, and not quite the same, but definitely more along the lines of how I want to be able to work in Silo with topology. I think they did pretty good with it considering that it was a shortlist request since 2.0 was released. Enough people asked for something to replace the old tool (which was cool and original for a brief time but quickly outclassed) and so they delivered. I haven't used NEX since we got this version just over a week ago and I've already done a few characters with it.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Pior it only 100 bucks so you really can go wrong especially if you are just going to be using it for character work. It works really good for that and the snap tools are nice.
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i love silo too, but this week i finally got around to figuring out how to use polyboost's retopo tools (polydraw, build, etc) and i thought they were awesome, especially the "build" system.

just thought i'd give polyboost a mention in this thread. it's got some crazy tools.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe yeah Sage I actually used it quite a lot during the trial period - one of the many small things I really liked about it is the raycast selection iirc.
    As for retopology, can't wait to try it!

Silver & Gwot : my very own retopology chart would be from best to worse :
    1 Topogun - 2 Polyboost - 3 Nex - 4 Old Silo Retopo.

Topogon is realy *that* good. It's the awkwardest at first but definitely the smartest retopo workflow in the end (for me!) I Didn't try the ZBrush3 tools tho but I expect them to be crashy and not solid enough, might be wrong!

The great thing about Topogun is not only its toolset but also its display behaviour. As opposed to retopo tools integrated in more complex programs (Max-Polyboost, Maya-Nex and I suspect the same for Silo) the scene display as been completely thought for retopo purposes. For instance you don't have to setup xray materials or fiddle with backfacing - everything is displayed for efficiency. Also even if the lowpoly and the highpoly clip, Topogun displays the lowpoly in priority no matter what, which makes for a very smooth experience. I hope Silo will do the same.

There is also an opensource program doing retopo only but I couldn't get it to work, or it crashed, can't remember. Can't remember it's name either hehe.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior can't afford Silo. He'd have to sell one of his kidneys. or perhaps one of his five Cintiqs (I exaggerate).

Pior: What is it about topogun that's so much better? I'll admit I didn't really understand what you meant about xray materials or backfacing. In Silo, you set the model's material to transparant (which is one of the options, like hard-shaded, soft-shaded, transparant...), and you can only snap to what you're looking at directly, basically. There's no easy way to snap an entire model to the highpoly in one go yet.
    I should probably just try topogun, really.
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    I've not really tried Silo in depth yet, but yeah Topogun is definitely better than PolyBoost/Nex/Zbrush. Can't wait for him to release the final version, cause my beta doesn't work anymore, so I've had to go back to polyboost.
    The only advantage to Polyboost and Nex for me is the fact that I like doing everything in the least possible softwares.

On Zbrush topology, I'd never use it to make a final lowpoly model, but when working with very simple base mesh, it's pretty handy to create a new intermediate mesh once you've fleshed out the general shapes, and have a better grasp of where you need definition.
    It's a bit strange at times (hey it's Zbrush, obviously) but fairly quick once you've gotten the hang of it, and it directly reprojects you're detail onto the new topology, so you can see right away if you have enough definition in the right areas, which is handy.

Obviously there's no reason to use it if you're not sculpting in Zbrush.
  • the_podman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    Cool, the original inventors of the tool remake it. hehe.

There is a MAJOR issue right now with retopo I've been facing, and it has to do with the very latest display drivers for both ATI and NVIDIA when it comes to consumer gaming cards. It seems that lately, OpenGL support for gaming cards has taken a serious hit on both companies, forcing you to exclusively work with GL cards. It's pretty much the reason why I can't use topogun anymore :( Of course, Max users don't have to worry about this, I believe it's on Direct3d.

One workaround I've found if you don't want to "drop" a level for retopo.(perhaps if you want to rebuild a "detailed" sub-d version of your mesh.) is to import in "chunks" and retopo a section at a time. I have a video of this I made on youtube:

[ame]http://youtube.com/watch?v=QtSMQbv3uAE[/ame]
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Pea about the material setup/backfaces thing - it shows very well on Podmans video. At the beginning you see him spending some time setting up diverse object properties to work with the retopo workflow, but even when this is done and ready it's still visually confusing. That's the thing that topogun does so well.

Podman, I am having big display issues also. I basically cannot use Nex at work because of a very weird ghosting effect that no one seemt to be able to get rid of(Nvidia card). However Topogun works fine so it's okay :)
  • Ajax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajax polycounter lvl 18
    That's really sweet. Love my Polyboost though, but also dig Silo, been doing a lot of personal works in it (the kind you start but never finish)
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Does anyone get a virus warning when downloading meshlab? seems to do it with every mirror i choose as well :/

with topogun v silo, topogun's conforming/snapping seems to work alot smoother than silo's(which imo is really the best part), can handle higher density meshes at faster speeds, and the creation of faces is a breeze.
  • ghib
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pior, I can understand the pain you're having with with the Maya viewport. I have a similar issue with Silo and how it handles the whole xray mode. I find it extremely confusing to make sense of the overlapping mess that the Silo viewport gives you sometimes. Giving each object unique colours helps slightly but is still far from perfect.

One thing I really hope they introduce in the Silo retop workflow is a shrinkwrap method of surface constraint. This is one thing that is great with NEX. Create a cylinder with several divisions down it's length, roughly place over a limb and hit shrinkwrap and it'll conform around the mesh. Same thing happens with all the editing functions. As it stands in Silo if you accidentally select a backfacing vert while using the Pen tool it drags your backfacing vert to the side facing the camera.. and a pretty nasty bug won't let you undo this monumental blunder.

I'm also not a huge fan of the Topogun workflow as the tools don't quite work in harmony. The SimpleEdit, SimpleCreate and Bridge tools should be merged to one tool with sticky keys in my humble opinion. The workflow as it's implemented at the moment feels quite disjointed compared to NEX.

The Bridge tool in Topogun also seems to create more artifacts than QuadDraw and going back and forth creating and deleting faces isn't as streamlined. Faces and Edges seem severed from each other and you discover after deleting a bunch of faces that you must also go in and delete the edge cage. It seems a pretty messy workflow. Someone correct me if there is a way of turning this off.

On the plus side Topogun can handle most hires meshes I throw at it with very little viewport slowdown and as Pior mentioned has a cleaner way of displaying the Reference and Lowres meshes.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Ghib about that bridge tool : after some messing around I discovered that the bridge *mode* behaves slightly differently than the the bridge *tool*. Iirc the bridge mode is more prone to create backfaces. Just so you know!

I agree about the modes in need of being streamlined! I love how you can jump from create to select mode by just pressing right click, but I hope that I could also reach bridge mode with that.

I don't know yet if the the Topogn guy is willing to change/enhance his app, we shall see soon I guess!
  • the_podman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the_podman polycounter lvl 17
    pior wrote: »
    I don't know yet if the the Topogn guy is willing to change/enhance his app, we shall see soon I guess!

It's actually the topogun "gal". :) I believe Christy is her name and from what I hear, it's a one woman show and she's writing the whole thing herself. I really wish I could go back to topogun, but until I can figure out my Ati issues, I can't use it anymore.

Pior, the NEX people are aware of the Nvidia bug, it's a nasty one and it's related to OpenGL. Right now, Max has the upper hand when it comes to "realtime" viewport feedback. If only we can render Maya with Direct3d. :(

Yes, it's true in the video post, you've got to set up your retopo workflow material parameters to make the topology visible and in Topogun, you "reference" the mesh.

Ghib, creating primitives and using the "shrink wrap" I use ALL the time. It's great! I call it "box modeling in reverse". Exploiting primitives to rebuild meshes saves a ton of time. A lot of you polycounters use "cylindrical" style modeling anyways, so it's very logical and sure beats poly by poly by poly by poly.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    vik wrote: »
    Meshlab. It`s free andcan deal with more polygons than polycruncher in my experience. Very nice software.

http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/

Cheers for the Heads up - works on mac too.

The new Silo tools are working really well, and I hope they release a video of the updated UV tools soon too since they have come on leaps and bounds.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Any ETA on the final release Rick? Are they still adding features or just squashing bugs now?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    No idea, I was only using it again this morning. I'd be inclined to think that this was a beta of the tools to get the beta team of artists to pull them apart. The non destructive UVs are partially working - subdividing an entire model will subdivide the existing UVs, but some cuts on the model don't translate properly to the UVs. I'm sure that'll be a quick fix.

Incidentally, do you Outerlight guys smoke on the roof? I saw someone up there about 15 minutes ago.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    yup. We have two tame(ish) seagulls up here to keep us company too.
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can't wait for the UV tools. Chomping at the bit for this. Silo FTW.