Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
LoadingReadyRun interview with Uwe

Interesting to see the real Uwe Boll

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I've met him, came to visit us at our office a few times. He's not a bad dude.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    And people had the nerve to underrate him...
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    ... and thats how you get million dollar budgets to make crappy movies.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    it's funny that most of the time his worse critics have never seen any of his movies, I saw "In the Name of the King" and it was better than most video game movies. I'm not saying it's great but you have to consider the general shittyness of video game movies.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    are you kidding? in the name of the king only had three "good" moments, the bad guys who light themselves on fire then catapult themselves at the enemy, the jumping the gorge scene, and the books holding him down. The rest wasn't even funny bad, it was just bad. The guy thinks he can direct good movies but can't. He has alot of wonderfully bad moments in his movies that make them fun. He just refuses to realize that those are what makes his movies watchable. If he made a movie that was all b movie bad moments then he could be the king of b. With his current push to try and prove that hes a good director hes just been making painfully bland and boring movies.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    TGZ - I've gotta disagree with you on the Dungeon Seige movie. Like Justin said, it was by no means a great movie, but honestly, I've seen a lot worse, and recently, that has got way less bashing. Dungeon Seige was not a bad movie. It wasn't good, it was very mediocre.

Postal on the other hand, IS a pretty good movie IMO. I've watched it with around 10 different people, every one of us really enjoyed it.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Well postal seems like a full on b movie to me so it should be good. Just so long as he doesn't try and make it more than what it is.

Yeah there have been alot of other bad movies, but most of them have more funny bad scenes than it. The line between bad, and so bad its funny is quite thin. His editing makes it hard to even know what is happening half the time. His lack of directing ability is just sad, he has great actors yet in his movies seem like they are from a renaissance fair. No thats being too mean towards ren fair actors...

lets go over his movies:

House of the Dead
    A how to on how you can make zombies not cool.
    Alone in the Dark
    I didn't even know what it was i was watching until it finished and said so in the credits, had nothing to do with the games.
    BloodRayne
    His best work that i have seen, it had tits, retarded gore, and pointless epic horse ridding.
    In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale
    Already said my bit on this.
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Think I'm gonna have to change my opinion of Uwe Boll after watching that interview.
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Though I haven't seen any of his movies, I agree with what he says. Seems like a nice guy.
  • firestarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    firestarter polycounter lvl 18
    He`d make a much better impression if he didn`t keep sticking his thumb up his nose.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    I like Uwe and i think he gets a bad rap. people act like he is responsible for ruining the genre of video game movies.. but think back.. whats a good video game movie by.. anyone.. the closest i can think of is rez evil 1 and it was not great.. just pretty much the best of the bunch. (that i can recall)

people act like before he came along video game movies were all awesome or something and he broke that

mario bros.
    double dragon,
    street fighter,
    tomb raider,

yeah those all stuck straight to the storys of the games.

it seems when bol makes a movie people just have to hate hate hate on it, while other terrible movies don't get the hate, they just slip off the radar

movies in the last few years that in my opinion were worse than bol movies
    the seeker
    primeval
    doom
    stealth
    wild hogs
    eragon
    aeon flux
    jumper

in the end its all great if people don't like its stuff really all you have to do is not watch it.

i think that he is an untallented man but he believes in what he's doing.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    never seen any of the boll movies, actually I don't really care about the guy, thus don't really understand the hate on him, saw the postal teaser trailer when it was first released and found it close to the postal2 humor spirit.

Rhinokey, as I said I've never seen any of the boll movies, but I've seen doom and Aeon Flux (and how could you forget about resident evil ??)
    while Aeon flux was sort of entertaining (I don't know the original material though) doom was some utter piece of crap IMO.I even watched resident evil extinction and it was quite bad, but that was no real surprise once you've seen the first movie of the series. I'll make sure to check one of the boll movies to see how they are but as he says in his interview, there are tons of movie I'm sure he can easily compete with, only thing is that, like in games, people tend to always compare movies to the best of the genre, not the average.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    don't get me wrong vahl, i'm not saying he's "good" in any way, just that theres a ton of shitty directors that don't get the rabid hate that bol does.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    well, there are a lot of shitty movies made by different people, but he gets points for consistency..

i kid, i found it pretty interesting and my opinion of him is shifted more towards positive. still, i think back to when he did the kickboxing stunt, where I read he promised coaching to the fighters and never delivered. Hearing about his thoughts on 'anything goes' publicity I can easily believe he arranged it all just to cream the opposition, fair fight or no.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was so looking forward to Jumper. I even blagged my bird into watching it.

I can't remember it
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    After watching that, I'd rather buy him a beer than pay to see one of his movies...

... though postal I would pay to see. The scene in the trailer with bush and bin laden holding hands and frolicking in a field while nukes go off in the background sold it for me.
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    Mortal Kombat = Best video game movie evar.

Either way though, it was a bit of an interesting interview. His stuff on Cannes is pretty much spot on. He may not direct intelligent movies, but he is a movie guy and knows what he's talking about. Fergs got a good idea, I'd rather sit in a pub and talk movies with him than go see any of his.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Rhinokey wrote: »
    don't get me wrong vahl, i'm not saying he's "good" in any way, just that theres a ton of shitty directors that don't get the rabid hate that bol does.

I didn't man :) my comment was more like an approbation of yours :p
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I liked Doom and Jumper.
    I think Lord of the Rings was crap.

Does that make me a potential German-Nose-Picker fan?
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    pior wrote: »
    I liked Doom and Jumper.
    I think Lord of the Rings was crap.

Does that make me a potential German-Nose-Picker fan?

LOL reminds me of this:

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=lotr1

I was working on FarCry 2 when Boll mentioned in an interview that he was intending to make Far Cry into a good movie, and his previous efforts were intentionally crap.

That did nothing to really subside our doubts. Neither did the trailer.
  • Ryno
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Why do I even know this man's name when I don't know who the directors of 90% of my favorite movies are? Damn this man get a lot of publicity.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Why did you resurrect this thread?
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    Lol i missed this whole thread the first go around, pretty interesting watch
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I'm sure Jack Thompson can hold a decent conversation too, doesn't make him or Uwe any less of a whackjob when it comes to spouting out their rhetoric about their passions.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    "theres a ton of shitty directors that don't get the rabid hate that bol does."

there's still plenty of time for steven soderbergh to get what he deserves