Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Game Art Portfolio

Tai
Tai
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Tai polycounter lvl 9
Hi guys, I am graduating from the Art Institute of California - Orange County very soon. I prepared this little environment and prop portfolio hoping that I may please get some critique from you guys. One of my work which is the warhammer orc axe should look a little familiar since I posted it here before.
Again, Critiques and Comments are very welcome!
001.jpg
002.jpg
003.jpg
004.jpg
005.jpg
006.jpg
007.jpg
008.jpg
009.jpg
010.jpg

Replies

• Tai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tai polycounter lvl 9
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Overall, nice work! I like all the Chinese Grocery stuff, it's good consistency and a fairly original setting which is nice.

The rifle and army boots/feet don't seem as good as the chinese grocery prop work, they seem a bit bulbous and blobby.

I don't like the last scene much, the textures seem very noisy/contrasty, they have a lot of VERY dark splotches which don't look very good IMHO. If I were you I'd probably re-work these textures to make them more consistent and less "noisy".

The rest is a nice range of high/lowpoly and textural work, it seems like a well-rounded portfolio.
  • danpants
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpants polycounter lvl 14
    Hey Tai,

Your first post of images are amazing I love how you textured it and lit it. The bench seems like its been burnt. The second WWII images seems too over shadowed. I would adjust the levels. Overall nice portfolio all around. Very in-game feel.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Welcome to the industry, its only a matter of where you'll work =)

Crits:
    - Like MoP said, the contrast is a bit cranked on most things.
    - The normals seems kind of cranked on some of the objects like the rocks in the campfire.
    - Speaking of the rocks, they are kind of green, you might want to adjust them to reflect the heat/burn and ash that is all around them.
    - The logic on the logs doesn't really make sense, there is a barely burnt log under one that is. When you throw logs on the pile new goes on top of old. I guess someone could have rearranged them after the fact but its kind of weird.
    - You might want to spend a few polys and a tiny texture to create an ash/coal pile under the logs. It's going to look weird to see burnt logs on clean ground.

Anywho players wouldn't care I bet but its just a few little things that can really help the prop jell with the environment.

Good stuff, let us know where you land! =)
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Looks awsome man, especially for a upcoming graduate. I'm graduating from UAT in Tempe AZ this summer and I don't think anyone at our school has environment/prop stuff near this level. Good work!
  • Wilex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent work Tai, it'll be strange not seeing you in the labs next quarter.

The only thing that bothers me is the rocks for your campfire. The overall hue seems too green it just feels unatural to me for some reason.
  • alexk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    alexk polycounter lvl 12
    What.. no severed bear claws or dried out lizards in the chinese store? :) nice work!
  • RyRyB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RyRyB polycounter lvl 18
    Like what others have said, this is a nice showing of well-rounded work!

One comment I do have is on the presentation of image 004.jpg.

When I first saw it, my brain wanted it to read as one scene/angle, rather than 2 separate shots and it took a couple of seconds to figure out what I was looking at. If you have the time, I would add a border around the images so it reads a little easier.

Minor nitpick of an otherwise strong showing.

Good luck in your search, I'm sure you'll be picked up!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    In response to what has been said...adding on, the sci fi hallway's props seem pretty good but the overall idea is a little plain as it seems a little cloned in places whereas the Chinese Grocery/Pharmacy has a lot more points of interest and story going on...

Looks like there has been a great improvement between those scenes.

Won't be hard to land a career with that.
  • Tai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tai polycounter lvl 9
    Thank you guys very much for the feedback. They are really good advices! :)
    I will redefine some of the textures of my WW2 prop textures since they have the biggest problems.
    Gonzo has brought a really good point - I have never thought about the weird perspective issues with thw two images on page 4. I will certainly add a border to those images.

Thank you all again! :) If there is any more things to point out, please feel free to let me know!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good. :) the chinese is really well put together. :)
    May i ask where this is rendered? What's the lightning setup like?
  • whats_true
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    I saw this in the hallway at school. Glad i can see it up close now!

The first image, the shelf, the cans that are on top...they seems a little bit too evenly spaced. Same goes for that small table. A little turn or move add a lot to a piece me thinks.

Also, do you have an occlusion overlay? as the bench in image 3 seems like there is not under shadow.

Over all, solid work mate!
  • Tai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tai polycounter lvl 9
    The images are rendered with Maya Mental Ray. The scene is basically set up with only one main light from the lightbulb. I also put a bunch of point lights around to fake the global illumination.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice man, dropped you a PM.
  • Vadien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hehe, the Choppa. Nice.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    This is a great looking folio! I particularly like the Orc Choppa

Crits: Little too much black in some of the textures.
    It appears you've reused the brick+plaster wall texture in 2 environment scenes(Taiwanese Grocery, and the dirty store room). Not a big deal but might be nice to use something new or at least not sourced from the same original assets.

You've proven that you can represent wood, concrete & dirt reasonably well..., but I think you should also have an environment which has none of the above characteristics and demonstrates more range.

Maybe its just me, but the normal looks flipped on Y on the oven bricks.
    The top & pans seem to be lit from above, whereas the bricks are lit from below?
    ...or Am I just crazy?

http://www.crimsonmoondev.com/images/prop005_1n.jpg
    http://www.crimsonmoondev.com/images/env004_4.jpg