Home Technical Talk

Max 2008 Issues

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
ok so i'm making the switch to 2008 and having a few issues.

#1.

My uvw editor wont display any edges. Maybe this is a max thing from the past but I have never seen it. All I see are the border edges. Nothing inside.

Any ideas?

More posts and questions to come.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    In Max 2008 the UV edges take the colour of the object (the swatch next to the object name in the modify/create panel). It sounds like you might have your object colour set to the same as the background colour of the Edit UVWs window. Try changing your object colour to white or something.
    I am considering writing a script to toggle this on every time you open Unwrap UVW since it seems there's no built-in way around it using the object colour. I didn't look all that hard yet though.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP..

Thanks sir that was the answer to that one. Damn...thats kinda annoying..
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, it's quite useful a lot of the time since you can now apply Unwrap UVW to multiple separate objects and edit them all at once, so you can tell at a glance which UVs are part of which object.

But yes, for single object unwraps it does seem a bit unnecessary, hence me wanting to write a script to sort it out (I know it's possible, and quite easy).
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah the multi unwrap was handy for some modular pieces that i was working on that i didn't want to have to attach and then break off later.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah its nice and sucks all at the same time. I like to use black as my default wire color for everything so it all ends up the same color even with multiple pieces.

For a while when I would unwrap I would switch it to white like MoP suggested but only manually. Now I don't even bother. But it would be great to have a script that switches back and forth.

Sounds kind of easy to script I'll have to look into also, but then again everything always starts off easy heh...
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    The new "right click + clone" thing is totally strange to me. I much prefer the older shift + click/drag option. I can no longer just shift and quickly click on an object to duplicate it. This worked in both object, and subobject. In subobject mode I can't seem to duplicate polys with SHift + click unless I drag the thing completely quite a bit.
    Is there a work around for this??
    B
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    modeling_man: this confused me too. to duplicate polys, i now use detach and check detach to element and detach as clone.
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    ahh ya ok ok
    thanks spitty!
    B
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I don't know why they changed how you can shift + click to clone things. I think it sucks. Good thing I never needed to shift click edges and duplicated so they stayed in the same spot.

Alex
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok this is rather annoying and hopefully you can turn it off. In my uvw window when it is displaying the working texture it automatically snaps verts, edges, etc to pixels. How the hell do you stop this?
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, there's the "Snaps" icon down in the bottom right of the Edit UVWs window, make sure that's not checked (it defaults to grid snap, if you click and hold it changes to a popup with grid or pixel snap, a magnet icon with a P next to it).
    Make sure that's off.

It certainly doesn't pixel snap by default, my guess is you accidentally hit that button at some point, or maybe hit a hotkey (although I dunno if there's one assigned for that by default).
  • Jonathan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Max 2008 also has the "disappearing vertices" "feature."
    :p
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I just spent some time with 2008 too and it seems very glitchy somehow... Just little things but I don't think I had that before.
    Running it with vista64, first annoyance is : Max forces the whole OS to shut down Aero. Usually I wouldn't mind at all ... but since Photoshop CS3 needs Aero to run smoothly (on Vista) ... it makes texturing impossible! Anyone got that?

Also : at many times when I select faces, they get selected but the geometry doesn't turn red as it should. It eventually becomes red when interecting with the viewport.

On a same note, turbosmoothed objects tend to disappear (not from the scene, just visually), but reappear later - by moving the camera again.

I also run into the disapearing verts bug alot.

What's going on with computer these days? It feels like everything is broken.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan wrote: »
    Max 2008 also has the "disappearing vertices" "feature."
    :p
    I've hit that too, sometimes when I hide/unhide elements it doesn't unhide the verts, I have to go the vert level and unhide all. weird.
  • spitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spitty polycounter lvl 18
    jesse and mop: believe it or not "ctrl s" while in the uv editor turns on pixel snap. i've actually lost work since i thought ctrl s saved my work and then i quit max.

pior: i'm having the same issues with cs 2 and vista. panning around the image using the spacebar is what causes photoshop to slow down for me. usually zooming in or out fixes the problem. panning around the image using the navigator window doesn't seem to cause this slow down as much. its so hard to break the habit of using spacebar to pan.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    We've had some similar issues w/ Photoshop and Vista x64. We ended up getting the latest Nvidia drivers (actually released yesterday) and solved our stuttering issues.

Jesse,

as for the annoying wireframe color in the UV editor, I've written a quick max script to fix that if you'd like it (or anyone else for that matter). Let me know and I'll post.

-Tyler
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tyler,

Yeah if you can I would like to take a look at that script. Should be helpful.