Home General Discussion

BEST digital camera by popular Opinion

Pentax Optio S5i -

Thats what i use right now. Easy, effective, decent. But i want better. I want a camera that takes in better light and crystal clear quality. I want to get advise from a forum of artist that have experience with excelent digital harware.

I want to raise my quality standards and need your help. Please.

Good Camera
High quality shots
Easy to use
Over $300 under $1000

????

Replies

• PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    Good light is about the lens. get a D-SLR with a fixed 50mm lens and that will give you a large amount of light into your camera. The measurement you are looking for is the F-stop rating, the lower the number the more light you get onto the CCD chip.

Nikon lenses give me the best color, sharpness and speed thus far. The fuji CCD chip is really good for color reproduction aswell, and they are compatible with Nikon lenses.

Get lots of opinions (as you are), but above all else, try it yourself.

-R
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    are Nikon Lenses compatible with a D-SLR camera?
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    you could get something like a canon 400d, and then partner the 18-55 kit lens you normally get with it , as pak suggests, with a 50mm 1.8f : that would help your low-light and quality requirements, for little extra outlay (i bought my 50mm for £50). But bear in mind the 50mm is a pretty specific fixed focal length lens, i think best suited to portraiture or similar. It will give you rocking results though, sharp as a bollock

but yeah, if you're going dslr, i don't think it's really about the camera, i think it's mostly about the lens/es and what you're willing to pay for. I use canon and would love to be able to afford a selection of "L" series lenses, but i can't ... they would piss over everything i've currently got i'm sure (18-55, 70-300, 50, 28-135 IS, the "budget" selection). As it is, i tend to fall back on post-process to give me the impact i'm after.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the DSLR folk I know allocate half the cash to the body, and half to the lenses. The Canon EOS is what I'm looking at to replace my (non-SLR) Sony, since that range scores very highly across the board.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I picked up the Nikon D40 a few months ago. Absolutely love it. There's no built-in motor for the body, so the only drag is that if you want auto focusing, you have to buy lenses with motors built in. The stock lens has a motor though, so it's good for most things. I also bought a Nikkor 55-200 VR AF-S and a Sigma 70-300 (sigma doesn't auto focus, but I use it for landscape). All around, much happier than I was with my Sony DSC-H2.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    I have a Canon Rebel -XT, digital SLR.

I love it. I need a new lens (been dealing with the ones I have from my old Canon 35mm Rebel), but it's a good camera, and has millions of lenses available.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    so, the bigger is not always better as far as a lence goes right?
  • neolith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neolith polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the DSLR folk I know allocate half the cash to the body, and half to the lenses. The Canon EOS is what I'm looking at to replace my (non-SLR) Sony, since that range scores very highly across the board.

The Canon EOS-D is a pretty good camera for its price.