Home Technical Talk

Pixel Density - Art test Question

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
McBradd polycounter lvl 12
I'm working on an art test right now which asks me to model Three props from reference using:

"Polygon Limit: 500 triangles (combined)
Texture Limit: 2 1024x1024 texture sets (or equivalent texture space) including seperate diffuse, normal, and specular. Note that since these objects can be close to the viewer, please maintain a pixel density of at least 1024 pixels per 3 meters."

So I'm confused by 3 things-
1)Are they saying to make two sets of 1024x1024 textures including diff, norm, and spec for a total of 6 1024x1024 textures,
-or-
are they asking me to break that texture space up and make 6 smaller textures that fit into the same texture space as 2048x1024 (2 1024x1024's)?

2)I'm using Maya, so how would I calculate the actual pixel density? In the past I've just guesstimated...

3) If one of those objects is essentially a 4 meter cube, does this imply that I'm going to have to stack UV's to reuse the same texture space?

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1. I would think they mean 6 1024x1024 textures, but if you're worried about it just ask them.

2. Really texture density is pretty simple, if you know you need to have 1024 per 3 meters, just model some modular chucks that are 3x3 meters large or smaller, and map your 1024 to that. or you know, 4 peices that are 1.5x1.5m and each use 1/4 of the map, etc etc. Theres nothing you have to do to "calculate" it. You just have to plan accordingly.

3.) yes, you'll have to mirror, tile, or find some other creative way to reuse your textures.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EQ, this got me thinking, are you allowed within your tech to mirror object-space normal maps? I would think yes, since there are ways of allowing deforming mesh, basically converting to local space I guess. But probably takes a performance drop, ends up same as a tangent map I'd think.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    1) and 3) : why do you not ask THEM?

about 2) if you set your units to meters make a Box of 3x3x3 meters and put a 1024^2 map on each side
    your model needs to bee at least as dense pixeled as the box

maybe there is a better way..
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Nothing beats 500 triangles with 6x1024 maps. Game ready next-gen right there.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I was about to post that too...2 1024*1024 sets for 500 tris is really nextgen...maybe one day we'll be able to have 2048*2048's on 64 tris objects...now THAT would be nextgen
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah lol funny that I was gonna mention the same thing when reading that but Ott you beat me to it.

What the fuck? lol Whatever. Who knows...haha
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well it sounds like you have to make 3 props with only 500 tris, and have the option to use 2 1024s tops or use smaller textures as long as they don't exceed what the 2 1024 x 1024 would take up in memory. And they look as detailed as something mapped with 1024 x 1024 at 3 x 3 meters. I find the instructions a bit confusing. Did they give you a limit on how many uv channels you could use?

Alex
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Consider that they may have given you deliberately confusing / misleading instructions and that asking them about it is part of the test.

itsaconspiracymz5.jpg
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    Or they gave you a whacky budget to see if you can use that budget in a smart way. I got something similar for my arttest at Massive, except it was the reverese. 13 tris and a 1024map for a really small RTS suburb house :P
  • KeyserSoze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze polycounter lvl 18
    PixelGoat wrote: »
    13 tris and a 1024map for a really small RTS suburb house :P

So they threw in a free polygon with your cube? What a bargain! :poly104:
  • FAT_CAP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FAT_CAP polycounter lvl 18
    I would be stumped on that one PixelGoat! What did you end up making with 13 tris and how did you make it make use of a 1024x1024? Modular chunks of maximum 13 polygons each to make up a larger house/ area maybe? 13 single polies with hi-res rendered houses on them...with added blooooomz?
  • PixelGoat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelGoat polycounter lvl 12
    KeyserSoze wrote: »

Ooops! hehe I meant 13k tris ofcourse
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    Aw. . . 13 was such a more interesting number!
  • McBradd
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    McBradd polycounter lvl 12
    We should have a ridiculous challenge like that... 13 polygons and one 1K diffuse map... heh

In other news, I emailed the art director directly, and hopefully I hear back soon...

Would it be considered bad form or perhaps cheating to post my progress on the test here for critique and revisions?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KeyserSoze wrote: »
    Every suburban home needs a lawn...

I personally think its cheating if you post it and get feedback. Our collective "genius" won't be available to you every day your working. What are the chances of any place being OK with you posting content for an unreleased game just so you can preform your job at the quality level they saw in the art test?

I would do the test on your own, because those are the skills they will relay on and hire. Later after all is said and done if you wanted to see what people here thought, post it after you've turned it in.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey EQ, this got me thinking, are you allowed within your tech to mirror object-space normal maps? I would think yes, since there are ways of allowing deforming mesh, basically converting to local space I guess. But probably takes a performance drop, ends up same as a tangent map I'd think.

We've thought about this a little, i talked to one of our graphics programmers and to crazybutcher about it. It seems like it would be possible but i've been too lazy to create a test case for it yet. My idea was just to make sure the mirrored uvs were in outside of the 0-1 range and then it would be simple to easily check what needed to be mirrored.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another way I've heard of systems interpreting mirroring is for the exporter to look at the UV face winding... so then inverted faces (facing -W) are interpreted as being mirrored.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yes it would be considered cheating by some people on the team, and all it takes is a no from one team member to not be considered in a lot of studios. If you want to do that I would ask the AD first but it's just asking for trouble. That said it could provide the team a way to see how you deal with feedback. If I was doing an art test for a studio that I was going to apply to I would not show my progress for feed back. If I was doing an art test you can download and I was trying to improve my skills maybe.

Alex
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They sure be are them good communicators.

What is it about art test descriptions that dictates they have to be written in less than 2 minutes?