Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I've been out of it for a while.

SjetvsKerrigan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
I've had a corporate job for a couple years and want to get back into video games. A lot of things have changed since I worked on BloodRayne 1, and "scripter" is a lot harder to explain than "coder" or "modeler" so I'm not sure how best to show myself off. (A scripter takes the parts that all the other members of the team produce, and assembles them into a playable level. I placed lights, enemies, items, waypoints for pathing, and triggers; then wrote some code here and there to make things happen when the conditions were right.)

I've got a walkthrough of a BloodRayne level that shows both the boring normal stuff that makes the level work and the wacky tricks I put in for meddlesome players. What do you think? Should I bother thumbnailing the images now that everyone has broadband? Would embedding videos of certain segments or tricks be helpful? How bad is the layout?

Replies

• pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    i haven't seen much presentations like so but yeah a lot of the things you can definitely simplify as its a little much and its just on one title...thumbnail all the images and reduce the ones you prolly don't need to elaborate on and for some that are more level oriented I guess a video compilation would work.
  • Aghast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=52412

Learn how to block out levels (using basic brushes, terrain editing features and such) and you could call yourself a level-designer ;)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a hard skill set to market since its not as visual as art. I think you did a good job of explaining what you did in BR1. But it would help to actually see the triggers and helper objects that went into making that happen.

It's also a skill set that is just different enough at each place that it makes it hard to jump from one job to another. I think the first step would be identify studios that work closest to what you've done in the past then build your portfolio to suit that.

If you're looking to get into Unreal3 type development then it would be a good idea to get the editor and start cranking out some good playable examples.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Are you the same SvK who helped us out with the B5COI(victory firing effect amongst other things) mod all those years ago? If so, welcome back!

Anyway yeah I think embedded videos would go a long way to help describe your work in BR, along with the text(or have text in the video at the right moments). But something up to date(such as work in the UE3 engine as Vig mentioned) would be really good as well.
  • portergraphic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    portergraphic polycounter lvl 17
    As Vig and Unleashed mentioned, grab a game editing package. UE3, Crysis or even HL2 and UT2004. Gameplay is gameplay no matter what the platform. The role you should probably look to fill is gameplay designer. They usually are the people that will layout the gameplay in an area.

Showing fun gameplay by implimenting triggers, logic and technical savvy with an engine will help you achieve your goal.
  • SjetvsKerrigan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SjetvsKerrigan polycounter lvl 18
    Unleashed wrote: »
    Are you the same SvK who helped us out with the B5COI(victory firing effect amongst other things) mod all those years ago? If so, welcome back! .

Wow,the date on that effect is 14 DEC 2002. We are really old!

Oh yeah, I also figured out how special effects worked in Homeworld 1 and wrote an interface enhancement for World of Warcraft. I'm all over the place.