Home General Discussion

Polycount Wiki

A little bird told me that we may finally have a fully-functioning wiki here after a little while. I think it'd be awesome to have a central resource for all those recurring answers, and it'd be a great place to learn a thing or two.

I'd prefer MediaWiki rather than some of the other setups, if something hasn't been installed already. Used by wikipedia, etc., so there's a lot of support. PMWiki for example wasn't very capable when I tried it.

Anyhow, I wanted to get a sense of how polycounters would feel about having some of their posts whittled down into wiki sections.

We got into it awhile back, people seemed to not like the idea of their info being added to a wiki on a member's personal site. Does that change if it's a Polycount-hosted wiki?

For me, I consider anything that I post, on any forum, to be completely freeware, tossed to the wind for anyone to use. How may invisible lurkers are watching RIGHT NOW? :poly106: Anyhow, info has a habit of being edited and remixed, and the original author's attribution is often lost in the process. I'm cool with that, but I realize others may not be.

I'm totally interested in adding a ton of my own content to a polycount wiki, especially upgrading that sad old glossary on my site. The process of posting to a wiki always makes me learn, that's one of the things I really dig about the whole process.

Admins, is the wiki a possibility? Members, would you contribute if it was there? Would you want others to quote your posts verbatim and attributed? Or would you be cool with merciless editing and no attribution? I think the latter is the easiest way to go, in the end. But a wiki is ultimately a community construction.

What say you?

Replies