Home General Discussion

I *love* my job.

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
And I'm one of few of my friends or family whom can truly say that. I'm not sure why, though. Sure, I love playing videogames. I'm a gamer, that's obvious. But so are a lot of my friends and they don't work in this business, or have interest in it. There's a number of reasons why I love my job...

One reason why I love it like I do is the work and collaboration it had taken to get here. I never went to school for this, in fact, I dropped out of school to "teach myself" what I do. And from that, from bugging most of you and learning along side an entire COMMUNITY of others, I've gained relationships and friendships that doesn't come with most professions out there.

I think the true realization of 'this is me, this is my profession' came when I landed my first in-house job. To be around people that are not only like-minded as me, but ALSO love their job thats something I think is truly precious to someones livelihood.

What would I say is the greatest aspect of being in this business? I've asked myself that quite a bit lately, as it all seems really good, but I think I finally found it: I feel like a kid again at least once a day. I had an awesome childhood (videogame fueled) and at least once a day I read something about a game that excites me (although now its for different reasons than when I was younger). Nevermind the characters that are around now that were when I was young (Mario, Sonic) adding to the nostalgia I get, but the excitement of hearing of a new game, new technology, new studio, new people is so refreshing. I'm still a fan boy. I get really excited, still, for game releases. I guess thats where the feeling of 'being a kid' comes from.

Anyway, this is turning in to a blog post and I really just wanted to get my feelings down as to why I love my job and this industry.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I LOVE mine too

I get paid to make toys!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Maybe its a little early for me but so far I feel the same as well...otherwise I prolly would've hardly be able to get in this business successfully...

Aside form that, I enjoy making environments, props and guns.
  • jouste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jouste polycounter lvl 14
    yeah i'm infatuated with my job as well. its not every day that you can feel pride in your red-headed stepchild of an industry. the thing i appreciate the most is that this industry is so new, its an explosive industry thats always on the cutting edge of art and technical craftsmanship.

the entertainment industry is what separates us from the animals, well that and thumbs and a myriad of other things... but we're here to give people something to do. and thats awesome. when people have nothing to do they do things like play choking games and listen to creed, two things that are entirely not awesome.

on top of games being really wicked in general, being around people like you is so great. working under a someone who will jump into a quick game with you and explode some torso is something else for sure.

the only thing i can think of that doesn't give me the tingles about my job is that when the cards are down and we get hit with a flood or some global problem; nobody's gonna need game-devs, they're gonna need farmers and doctors :/.

although, if we get hit with skynet and/or zombie-cyborg-werewolves we will know EXACTLY what to do.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I'm right with you on this stuff Adam.

Hell, I used to do the same stuff I do at work as a hobby in my spare time. Pretty awesome having a hobby become a profession. :D
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    You guys suck... my job sucks :(

(honestly, congrats on getting into something you love)
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i've gone through phases of loving and hating my job (and my seeming inability to leave), but at the moment all that really bugs me is the travelling. But hell, this is my choice - i won't live in leeds, it smells funny. Mind you, it doesn't help that i do about 25mpg either. But then that's my choice too. It's okay really.
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    adamBrome wrote: »
    AThere's a number of reasons why I love my job...
    You don't need reasons to love :poly128:.

I agree though, if you make your work out of your hobby you never have to work anymore :poly108:. (dutch saying)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love adam's mom's job.
    You know the one.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    I love what i do too,the studio i work for is not too large,indy,well managed and the most overtime ive done in close to a year was 2 extra hours a night for a work week. Ive done with my life what i have always dreamed of doing,making games :). Ive been able leave and work out of the U.S in 2 exciting cities,Amsterdam first* and Copenhagen second as well as travels to England,Spain,Sweden,Italy and Germany. That part totally disproved my mom's arguement that video games would never get me anywhere not to mention being in my 20's unattached as well as in my prime in cities with beautiful exotic women. Leaving has also allowed me to be in the best shape in my life.

Long story short..i love what i do for a living.

*And if you get my Avatar name you would know why this would be an added bonus :)
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EQ, keepin' it real.

I'm with you Adam. My family keeps telling me I'm lucky, so many people hate their jobs. But then again, life is what you make of it.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    I love adam's mom's job.
    You know the one.

I googled "Adams Mom" and this is the first image it gave me:

dad.jpg

EQ loves the man-ass.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    god damn he's not lying either...someone needs one of these

cruZer3_Trim.preview.jpg
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Hate my current job. Love my old job, love my soon-to-be new job. :D
  • Mister Sentient
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mister Sentient polycounter lvl 18
    I sometimes get the feeling that I am wasting my time on this earth working on video games when I could be out there making a difference in people's lives; healing the sick in Africa or finding a cure for cancer. Then I remember that I hate people and just laugh and laugh.

Just kidding. I love my job and I don't hate people... mostly. So why then do I still feel like I am being selfish? Is this the price I pay for a cushy job making mostly benign entertainment experiences? Why do I feel as if I need to justify my art?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    I love my job too! I just often wish it involved more art and less IT. :)

Although it isn't a job in the game industry, my job does allow me to continue my graduate studies and raise a family in decent sized city. Of course, there is a part of me which wishes I'd really stuck with pursuing a career in the games industry. In fact, it is likely one of those regrets that I'll never be able to completely shake.

I suppose I must have read too many posts about 80 hour weeks with little time for family, which scared me off from truly committing to that line of work. Wanting to be the Little League dad, the Boy Scout leader, the involved parent and available husband, I just began to fear that the requirements put on an artist just wouldn't allow for that. While the change in focus has been a tough pill to swallow, I am thankful that I still have Polycount and the friendships I made in being a part of this community. No job, industry or otherwise, could ever replace the fun and excitement I get from being a part of Polycount.

Thanks for posting, Adam! I love see the excitement you and others like you have for what you do!
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Almost a year and a half after I started, I still look forward to coming into work in the morning.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    ...the thread [WAS] safe for work. ;)
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I'm on my 3rd day at work..and its freak'n awesome.......it's wicked queer awesome
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i have to say, i really cherish the days when i can come in, put my headphones on, and do some graphics for 8 hours (well, 11 these days). I've done that about 3 times in the past 3 months. But they were 3 good days. Once i even got through five new albums (bloody hellfire).

But this is one of the reasons why i refuse to say i make "game art", let alone "art". I make "games". and am involved down to the finest details, and that's pretty damned ace. Especially considering that these days shit loads of people play these games, and flickr members send me messages (well, one member anyway) saying they recognise my icon from the games they've played, and kids you see on trains and planes are playing them with big stupid sloppy grins on. That's not because of the graphics, it's cos the game is a giggle, and i know i've done plenty to contribute saliva to the grin.Yeah. Happy with that
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    ahh my lust for vid games has wavered over the years. hope I can get it back. 2 weeks in greece might fix that:)
  • corrosion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quote: "the only thing i can think of that doesn't give me the tingles about my job is that when the cards are down and we get hit with a flood or some global problem; nobody's gonna need game-devs, they're gonna need farmers and doctors"

yeah.. that's an issue. but there will always be Paris Hiltons in the world so rest assured.. there's people that are actually not doing anything for humanity.... at all...
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    Dammit, games actually prevent war! ;D

Seriously though, on topic, my 2nd day at my 1st gig and im loving it!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I lurv my job but I miss living out in the country side, shooting old dishes with a shotgun doesn't go down too well in an apartment complex.
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    I feel great about my job and my craft, see my pieces of art in the middle of a full blown game is incredibley rewarding. I also really enjoy the people I work with, and have a much better sense of comrarderie with them than any other job I have worked at. I love also that I am working on improving my artwork every day, pushing the limits of my abilities, instead of other jobs where the work is stagnant. I love working with the team to solve problems and how my work helps push the game towards completion.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    You pretty much summed it up for me as well, Adam.

-caseyjones
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I love building websites and doing illustration.

I like my job
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Sometimes I wonder if I could be doing something more important with my life, but then I remember how happy video games used to make me as a kid (and still do), and now I am making thousands of kids happy with the games I work on. This is the best job in the world!