Home General Discussion

Artist Icons

As an artist we all look up to others, who do you admire and respect.

Replies

• Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Environment artists rarely get the notoriety of their character artist counterparts, such as Paul Steed or even our very own BoBo. As such, I can't credit any one artist as being my idol. As cheesy as it sounds, every artist in the industry has inspired me over the years, and has helped guide my way.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Its hard to say...I guess depends on how high you raise the bar you'd look up to whoever fitting that standard...
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    Idols huh? Well I idolize anyone specificly, though their are quite a few artists whos work I enjoy and find inspiring, such as:

Antropus
    Balazs Kiss (kissb)
    Cedric Seaut
    Damien Canderle (madart)
    Herbert Lowis
    Jeremy Gritton (foreverendering)
    Jinwoo Lee
    Jonas Thomqvist (SubDivMe)
    Kolby Jukes
    Pior Roberson
    Rafael Grassetti
    Rich Diamant
    Rick Baker (monstermaker)
    Samuel Poirier
    Victor Santaquiteria
    Vitaliy Naymushin
    Vitaly Bulgarov
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    Yea, that Pior Roberson. He's killer ;)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    theres a lot of artists that I gain inspiration from, but often once I've exhausted all their work they cease to be of any use but reference.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Per

-caseyjones
  • Vito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vito polycounter lvl 18
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    my fellow polycounters and gameartists really rock!

then theres all the more traditional artists which amaze me, Frazetta, Bouguereau, Paul Bonner etc etc

one forum I'm on has an "inspiration" category where people start threads when they find someone or something art based that they find incredible.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    There goes Hawken again with another Totally usefull Post. :)
    So, In this last dominance war, I had a specific artist I wanted my work to be able to hang with, and that was Mr.Kite.
    First starting out though I'd have to say the first guy I was ever like "I want to be like that Guy" Was Bobo.
    As far as Illustration goes though, I'll have to say, that guys Like Cheeks, Chris Sanders, Paul Bonner, and Carlos Huante are the guys I look to for guidance when I need some style inspiration.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Jim Lee, Marc Silvestri, Todd McFarlane, Andy and Adam Kubert, Greg Capullo.

It's pretty much their fault I decided to go with art as a career over engineering, although it wasn't a hard choice to make.

My polycount inspiration

Vig
    pliang
    StrangeFate
    Rorsarch,
    Bobo the Seal
    Hawkprey
    Vahl
    Spark
    DemonPrincess

to name a few. Later.

Alex
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Scott Campbell second that. He is the man. Idol for artists is a strong word. I admire or appreciate their work though.

Scott Campbell
    Chris Appelhans
    Karl Dempwolf
    Kevin Dart
    Chris Turnham

Those are more random artists that I really like though.

As far as PC icons, inspiration or whatever. I wouldn't have a job without Poop or AncientPig pushing me along years ago. So pretty much those dudes are tops in my book.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    As an illustrator, Arthur Rackham represents the highest level of idol worship I've ever experienced artistically. Most other artists' skills I feel are reachable, but his, to me, extend out of reach of mortals.

As a game artist, Hawkprey and Mikey Spano and Hourence (real name??) represent plateaus that severely inspire me.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    ben mathis...

LOOLLZZZ HAHAHAHA

but for reals. i don't realy idolize any artist, but i respect many,

and many have been responsible for my path.

mcfarlane and jim lee were the first comic artists i knew of as people besides just the images on the page. bobo was one of the first game artists that gained my admiration. more for the help and advice he gave early on than the work he did. (not to downplay the work)

i see art all the time that i love but i rarely look behind it to the person responsible.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I looked up to Mojo2k until I found out he wasn't british
  • nutsy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nutsy polycounter lvl 18
    In no particular order,

Bill Waterson (Calvin and Hobbes, enough said)
    Frank and Ollie(or any of the old Disney crew)
    John Buscema(forget the flash and dash of today's comics, this guy knew his shit, Savage Sword of Conan anyone?)
    Ralph McQuarrie (a HUGE influence on me wanting to be an artist for a living)

These are the ones that immediately come to mind, and, I think, have really been an influence on my work.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    i'm seconding arthur rackham. Here's a man who can make people with no inside interest in illustration (what an illiteration) fall over. I know this to be true

and then Charles Schulz. Simplicity on every level, and genius on at least four
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    brian bolland ron smith are my absolute art heroes. calrlos sanchez ezquerra comes a close third.
    I used to copy their work with a fountain pen when I was a kid.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I don't really idolize any artist, as I don't really consider myself an artist...but the usual suspects around here Bobo, Josh, rawkstar, kite, etc. have inspired me to push further. I guess I kind of agree with hawken :) I often flip through books by Brom and Carlos Huante as well...

Growing up, tons of Marvel artists made me want to draw and do geeky stuff like I do now, hehe

Gav
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh wrote: »
    There goes Hawken again with another Totally usefull Post. :)

just giving my opinion dude. I actually made a thread recently about an artist I like, you nutjob :P

OK, artists I'm currently interested in:

Josh Keyes
    shibuya tadaomi
    Don Brown
    akira yamaguchi

but theres so many illustrators and artists over here, sometimes it's quite overwhelming. A few artists I'll have a permanent passions for, and who inspired me - during my childhood and other times - are:

Frank Quietly (his old 2000ad stuff)
    Syd Mead (mostly land vehicles, not space ships)
    Alfred Bestall (rip 1986)
    Jamie Hewlett
    Roger Dean
    Bitmap Brothers :)

and

Ruz, peeor & gauss. Seriously
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Hawken, I looked up those artists. Josh Keys is awesome, I remember your post of Shibuya Tadomi, sick style. I couldn't find anything on Don Brown except some kinda cheesy oil paintings. Same Don Brown? I could only find a few tiny images of Akira Yamaguchi, but what I saw was beautiful.

Oh yeah and Frank Quietly's rendition of the Endless from the sand man was the best ever imo.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    oh update to my list

brian froud and alan lee and mike mignolia
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    at the moment it's keith thompson
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady wrote: »
    Katsuya Terada !
    http://studiojfish.livejournal.com/79805.html Old school Zelda artwork

I have two of his books!

unfortuately theres not much on don brown. He made a book of his sculpture called yoko.

I almost forgot groove visions. But theres nothing on the internet about them.