Home General Discussion

Wii Mario Kart

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
2408632081_48062d1c9c.jpg

it's actually quite tricky. Anyone up for a friend code bash?

Replies

• jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you get that already? Says it doesn't ship until the 27th.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    I think he's taunting us.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    it's been out in Japan for a bit.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    bastard. I wants but I don't have the cash between GTA4 and saving for MGS4 and a PS3. I'll gamefly it until I can afford it.

how do you like it?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    it's been out in Japan for a bit.

all of two days.

It's out in euroland too
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bah I sold it. What a terrible let down.

Still, my local DVD rental place (lol shibuya tsutaya) bought it at a 400 yen loss.

my advice, don't bother.

It's one very boring game.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 17
    that's quite unfortunate . . .
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    what was bad about it? just thought it was boring?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coming from me, who lived for mariokart on the snes and played the DS version to death.

Even Edge gave it 6/10
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx wrote: »
    what was bad about it? just thought it was boring?

It's a tough one, I don't think I'm articulate enough to pin it down. I just couldn't be bothered to play it after a few days, theres something mind numbingly boring about racing the AI. Not that it's too easy or anything. Online is OK... bit like the DS online.

There's lots to make the game more chaotic than it should be, so racing skill is not really needed. you can be in 12th position and still finish 1st if you get the right item. Which with recent mario kart iterations is a real let down. They keep adding more penalties to level the playing field but at the same time have eroded the skill element which should have been paramount. You could be the best driver in the world and still finish last if you're unlucky. in fact, this happens far too much.

What edge says about racing lines and wide tracks is true.

choosing drivers for their advanges / disadvantages is also pointless. If you chose a big heavy driver you won't get anywhere, because the random factor of being penalized is so frequent it removes any advantage of incremental speed gains, because you take longer to recover / gain speed. So an old mechanic is left in and you're left with the worst aspects, none of the gains.

I'd give it 3 / 10 on gameplay, 5 / 10 on graphics and 2 / 10 on audio

The DS version has better tracks, better racing mechanics and is a trickier game to master that rewards
  • El Z0rR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Does it still have battle mode?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Is the SNES version available on the online store? It would be great if they could make it compatible with the new wii wheel!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    hawken wrote: »
    theres something mind numbingly boring about racing the AI.

do you have any friends?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior wrote: »
    Is the SNES version available on the online store? It would be great if they could make it compatible with the new wii wheel!

yes it is! But I doubt it's any good with the wheel.

I was thinking about it more, and racing lines really do come into question. Shaving miliseconds off your track records on the snes and DS was a lot of fun.

and yes, I have friends ;) but multiplayer on the same screen is crappy with loads of choppy slowdown. It's not well thought out at all.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    Guess I'll end up renting it first then. That is truly disappointing to hear. :(

I am looking forward to The Force Unleashed (September)...and finishing up MP3 Corruption (which I think is the best Wii game I own).
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    One of the biggest problems I've had with MK lately is the fact that it takes no skill to win. (including the DS/GC versions, although I really liked the DS version), it's sad to hear that it's (items) still a major factor in deciding who actually wins.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »

All the virtual console titles contain are the rom, emulator, and html files. And the rom's are apparently playable within snesx or zsnes. Donkey Kong Country 2 was cracked, I'll look for the link.

Nintendo just does not seem interested in adding new features/support to virtual console games. (yes there's been a couple noted tweaks/improvements visually to a couple of n64 games, possible others?)

I am thinking Mario Kart Wii will be a rent and try out. I've been noticing nintendo's trend to make their games easier and easier. Zelda and Mario games have really been getting easier with each iteration, but that's off topic so I shush now.
  • [MILES]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [MILES] polycounter lvl 17
    The whole concept of the Wii has been great for the most part. There are some highly addictive and fun games out there. And although I might be considered a casual gamer due to the lack of time I have for playing games these days, I'm really a hardcore gamer at heart. I think a lengthy, challenging title every now and then would be nice. So far, the only game I own that has proven to be challenging is Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn.

I hope The Force Unleashed (Wii) isn't being dumbed down in difficulty from its PS3 and 360 counterparts.
  • dUb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dUb polycounter lvl 18
    Sad to hear you're so disappointed with MK:Wii, Hawken.

I on the other hand, are quite happy with how things turned on. As a big fan of the previous games, I was looking forward to it and had high expectations, but most of them were met.

Things I like about it:
    + Anyone can play thanks to the automatic drifting mode; my girlfriend loves to play MK with me now!
    + The manual drifting is still there and works great. They altered it a bit to snaking isn't possible anymore.
    + The new tracks, especially in Star and Special cup, are pretty neat
    + Online works great! Haven't suffered any lag whatsoever, and it's much more fun to play against humans.
    + They don't force you to use the Wii Wheel; i prefer the Wiimote+nunchuck setup
    + The wheeleeing and slipstreaming add great strategic elements
    + The vehicles are much cooler than in previous games

Things I don't like about it:
    - No (voice)chat
    - I wasn't able to drive competitively using the Wii Wheel; you just can't tell how far you can turn the wheel before it reaches maximum rotation and it's hard to keep the wheel at the optimal steering angle. It also happened often that I accidently drifted in the wrong direction > Go for the Wiimote+Nunchuk setup!
    - A lot of the classic SNES/GBA tracks are boring. I would have prefered more new tracks.
    - More racers > greater chances of being hit by a special item > the possibility of driving at first place the whole time and then getting hit by a blue shield + lighting + people 'starring' and 'bullet billing' past you just before you reach the finish is very very real

Nonetheless, if you are a superior driver, you WILL win more often. It just levels the field a bit so that everyone can enjoy the game, yet it doesn't kill competitiveness.

The play sessions with 2/3/4 people have been a blast.

bounchfx wrote: »
    One of the biggest problems I've had with MK lately is the fact that it takes no skill to win. (including the DS/GC versions, although I really liked the DS version), it's sad to hear that it's (items) still a major factor in deciding who actually wins.

I win very consistently in Mario Kart: Double Dash, even when all items are on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Picked it up this weekend. It's really fun, and it feels very much like Mario Kart when you turn on Manual mode and use a wavebird. I like the new tracks and I really like that they revisited some of the old favorites.

Just like previous MK games the items can be a bit much if you're stuck toward the front of the pack. But you can consistently win if you get enough of a lead which I can do about 75% of the time and I suspect anyone else can do better if they play more then 2-3 more times before giving up. Playing with other people is a blast, and I do miss voice chat, but then again... maybe not so much.
  • rebel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i enjoyed it alot more playing with the gamecube controller,
    with the wii wheel i was just constantly driving off cliffs
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lets just wait for Zero Racer from marsh monkey :)