Home General Discussion

Trackmania Nations Forever - FREE

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
That magical four letter word... no.. not that one... has come around to trackmania...

http://kotaku.com/380734/trackmania-nations-forever-free-get

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    It's also available on steam. Really worth while to at least check out
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    awesome game ! I'm playing this since the very first version and it's just one of the best car game I ever played (arcade oriented, though). GIVE IT A TRY !
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The comments on that article make me cry on the inside.

'Free is nice and all, but I'm a whiny little bitch and I've never heard of this. Please tell me what it is about or I will not download it because it is maybe a virus, like ,right? okay.'
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    How does this version differ from United? Is there more that isn't found in other versions? I bought TMUnited off Steam several months ago. It's an awesome arcade style game. Well worth it.

Edit: A quick search, and it sounds like owners of Nations AND United get the update. I hope so.

Pea: You're right. A quick look at the comments, and people are bitching about Starforce. It's well known and easily found that the Steam versions of Trackmania do not use Starforce. And those who have not heard of Trackmania after all this time are deprived of a truely unique game experience.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the whole starforce thing was what drove me away in the past and I just forgot about the game, good to hear I can get a starforce free version. I'm going to give it a shot.
  • runab0ut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    runab0ut polycounter lvl 18
    Just downloaded it and installed it... heard about this game before, about to purchase it on the weekend and this got out. good times!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's awesome, I encourage everyone to try it. I'm like Renaud, I've played TM since the first one came out, making tracks is really fun, and it's very arcade-y so it's really easy to get into.
    Big props to Nadeo etc. for releasing this free, great idea!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My steam game list now shows Trackmania United Forever. \m/

Btw, get a good wireless PC controller to really enjoy this game.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I actually just use one of our XBox360 controllers plugged into my laptop, with the laptop outputting to the TV. It feels like it should be a console game :)
    Plus if you get a setup like that, you can plug in a few controllers and get some multiplayer going!
  • Davision3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Davision3D polycounter
    Dont download this, its addictive! :D
    Love TM since the first one, i have build a lot of Tracks for it, its very easy to do and because of that there are millions of crazy Tracks you can play online, and you cant stop playing because you always just want to try that next crazy looking track!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    hrm, I'll try it out with a controller when I get home but wasn't impressed maybe because it didn't live up to all the hype.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I've only heard wonderful things about this but never tried it myself. Free? You got it!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    A couple level designers at work like to build really brutally hard levels and challenge each other. Seems like a really awesome game, i need to grab it now.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    11 minute download? Damn you, I want it NOW!

EDIT: It gave me the blue screen of death once and froze my comp another time. That is after 4 hours of playing tho :)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    had a great lunchtime bash.. love seeing people jump at the same time as you and they just sail slowly away from the intended landing point and off into the grass.. mwahaha
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had loads of fun with the last one, it's a great lan-game. And I agree, it's really much more enjoyable with a gamepad, even if your coworker blames his losing on a gamepad not working.
    Also, the last Trackmania Nations didn't have starforce, so what's the problem? It's a free game, I doubt this one does suddenly have starforce.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    It REALLY wasn't working!
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I'll have to divide my time between this and GranTurismo 5 Prologue now :'(
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    Just re-installed United, If I read it right I can play with people who downloaded the free version :)

Ah yesterday I joined a server and played for 9 minutes on the 2 levels i played I couldn't make the first 2 jumps on the tracks, ah well I know I suck at driving games but common. Hope fully I get into a more newbie server today lol. :P
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    It is a really fun game, I'll have to try out the free download as well.
    One thing I like about this game is that it reminds me of the really old DOS game Stunts FX. Loved that game when I was younger. I ended up trying to get a hold of it until a dude from work got me onto TM, and been hooked since.

-caseyjones
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I am the second highest ranked player in Singapore! And there are only 9 of us...
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    This would have been "TEH AWESOME!!!" if I could have used my 360 controller plugged into my USB port. Using arrow keys to steer = fail.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Uh, I use my 360 controller plugged in to my USB port for this game. :nerd:
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I use my ps2 controller :) really cool little game. Ive also got trackmania sunrise, such a beautiful game, pretty tricky to play on the later levels though! I just got stuck on the puzzles on sunrise and eventually gave up :(
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    I really prefer to use my keyboard for this game, it's more accurate to me, but hey, it's maybe due to the fact that I have a shitty 5 years old Trust(c) controller :] I'd like to give it a try with the xbox360 controller's analogic stick.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This would have been "TEH AWESOME!!!" if I could have used my 360 controller plugged into my USB port. Using arrow keys to steer = fail.

Like I said. Get a controller. I use a Logitech Cordless Rumblepad. Makes steering much more accurate.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adamBrome wrote: »
    Uh, I use my 360 controller plugged in to my USB port for this game. :nerd:

Oh crap ... I just realized that I need to install drivers to do that, don't I?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    track mania kept me entertained for many an evening. class game, online is priceless
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    (Sorry to bump this so late but I was out of town the past few days)

For the life of me, I cannot use my xbox360 controller to play Trackmania Nations via Steam. I installed the Vista drivers and everything, but Trackmania just does not seem to acknowledge that there is a game controller connected. Anyone have any ideas what it wrong here?

[Edit]
    Seriously, just dicked around with this for a bit and am clueless;

- Can plug my controller in to a USB port, my (Vista) computer acknowledges it, four green lights on my controller blink repeatedly

- TMN acknowledges nothing other than my keyboard on the input screen

Really frustrating. The game seems like a lot of fun playing with my keyboard but I REALLY want to play it with an actual game controller. Not sure why my 360 controller does not seem to be recognized by TMN
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Im not sure how to get the xbox360 controller working, Ive only used one on xp and we just installed the drivers and plugged it in and it worked. This was when I was doing work experience game testing at Lionhead but I havent had a chance to play with a controller like that since then.

Ive got a ps2 controller and it works in trackmania but the wrong buttons are used for acceleration and the wrong stick for turning and I cant change it at all?
    so Im back on keyboard anyway :(.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I need buddies. What are your user names? Mine's snowfly
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    added you :D
    mine's Japhir, but i don't play a lot.