Home Technical Talk

Weird shading issue ... I can't find out why!

TSM
TSM
Here's the error ... http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/5526/errorgv5.jpg

This error happens also occurs in Xnormal. It first appeared after I changed the wood texture to a different one since I didn't like the original and I renormalised in CrazyBump. I changed the spec aswell. I cannot find any reason why this is happening so maybe someone here can. :)

Yes, the UV is a bit strange, but I didn't know a better way to do it...

Diffuse :2haxedem7.jpg

Normal :2haxenjd4.jpg

Specular :2haxesvy3.jpg

Before change : axesjz4.jpg

EDIT: The UV on the "before change" is 99% identical (on BOTH axes!!!) to the one after the change... only a few tweaks so the basic seams are still in the same place... but NO lighting errors! And the light blue bars in the normal map was a small attempt to fix the issue making the normals the same on both seams.

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The normal map is not the same across the two seams. The smaller UV shell has some light-blue at the bottom, the larger UV shell has darker blue at the top.

Crazy Bump has created this problems for you, because its algorithm doesn't look at the mesh at all.

To fix it, apply the normalmap in the diffuse slot, turn off lighting, and examine the seam area. Use this view to see what to do to paint out the problems in the normal map. 3D paint might be the fastest way to fix it, if you have one available.
  • TSM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TSM
    And that would cause the 2/3s of the mesh to be significantly darker?
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hard to see what's going on with your mesh from just one angle. Also seems like your diffuse is darker on one side than the other. How does it look with no lighting and just the diffuse map?