Home Technical Talk

Best book for game development

Hi friends! I need an advice for a great book.
My friends and me are trying to make a videogame, the first for us , and if somebody knows some good stuff to improve our skills I really appreciate it.

thank you!

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is a board question about many broad subjects.

I doubt there is one book that covers every facet of the industry. If there is such a book I doubt it covers them accurately and probably fails to give each area enough detail.

It really depends on everyones experience levels with their given discipline as to what books they should be reading.

What lang do your programmers intend to use? Is it a web based game? A 3D FPS?
    Are you planning on licensing an already built 3D engine? If so, which?
    What 3D modeling package are your modelers going to use?
  • Murnau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you Vig.
    Well the project intend to obtain as final result a graphic adventure on the line of Syberia. Wintermute is our engine development tool and I think to make 3d pre-rendered background with maya and 3d studio max. That is our first attempt and we are very motivated but nobody tells us how to proceed, we are pirates without a map, so... :poly105:

thank you guys!
  • Murnau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anyway, a book that speaks about 3d or one who explain the right way to approach in this world.
  • Murnau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some help guys!! :poly105:
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Find out what this game tool can do and how it does it. Then do the tutorial that shows you how to build your first scene. You might want to check out ogre 3d as well.

To be honest there really isn't a book out there that really cover this. World building is world building. It's different for every project.

1. make half sphere for sky or cube. Usually this object will have a 100 percent glow map also called emmisive or self illumination map so it doesn't receive shadows. Image for sky.

2. terrain.

3. props, buildings, etc. This can be made out of box modeling lack of a better term.

4. render out the elements if it's pre rendered, and you'll need either alphas (for masking) or a z depth map that you coder will use for all kinds of things, like sorting the 3d objects.

code wise, I'm not a coder.

if it's a pre rendered game you can use tools like flash or director to build the code and put the game together.

For collision detection and placement of objects you can use arrays.

The way I look at this is visually is to take a huge picture and you make a grid, and each square of the grid will have a value. You need to make this huge image tileable and you try to recreate this huge image with the least amount of unique pieces as possible while keeping it from looking like a tiled mess. You can look at the Legend of Zelda for the NES as an example of what I mean. Look at all the different elements that are unique and see how they put the world together which is what the huge image example is all about.

If it's level building you want do a search for unreal or quake +mapping in google and read all the tutorials you can find. It should give you ideas on how to build things. But the first step is to get a mighty piece of paper and write out want you want to make. List everything the game is supposed to be, then make a list of what you need to make in terms of art and code to make the game a reality. If by the end of writing your game document you still want to make the game, then you are on the right track. If you feel like this is too much work and don't want to, then be honest with yourself and don't start. But that is the first step. Then do research and see if what you want to make is already done, if it is, compare what makes your project unique and decide what features you liked or didn't like of the games that are similar to what you want to make are, so you can improve them in your project and avoid things you don't like. There is a big chance that there is game out there that might be similar to what you are trying to make.

For coding you need to break down what all the elements are and give them properties. So make things move, die, heal, jump, etc. Use the mighty piece of paper to decide and document what's needed and track what you have completed. It might be best to start simple and add once you have the basic mechanics done. So the first thing is to get the scene to load, then add an object, then make it move when the user wants it to. Making things pretty is the last step.

Good luck.

Alex
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murnau wrote: »
    Well the project intend to obtain as final result a graphic adventure on the line of Syberia. Wintermute is our engine development tool and I think to make 3d pre-rendered background with maya and 3d studio max.

You don't want a game dev book, sounds like you need a modeling/texturing/rendering book, maybe something like this.
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Introducing-3ds-Max-3D-Beginners/dp/0470097612[/ame]
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    the sword master from 3d total , but not for noobs .
  • Murnau
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage you are a saint, really thanks to all.

Actually, as EricChadwick saids, I'm trying to know if you have read any kind of book who speaks about, modeling, texturing, animation for the game. I've just finished "Game character Development with maya" and I want to read much more of this stuff.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    I havent seen any books which actually deal with the next gen character and environment workflow of high poly to lowpoly and baking maps that seems so common these last few years. Ive looked in bookshops and on the net. Its a shame really, maybe its a big gap in the market for some lucky polycount author to fill.
  • jogshy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jogshy polycounter lvl 17
    My opinion is that the best book for game programming is.... the Internet!
    I used to buy a lot of programming books from Amazon... but I think the best is to know what you need and then Google it... that will save you a lot of $$$$$$!
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Me and my friend wanted to do this too. About 1 year we looked for books that would work for us. We know C++ so it was pretty easy to find books on how to make games, but most purely suck. You can take a few things from the books, but not a full game.

My friend and i decided to mod half life 2. We started to make the characters, and was looking around on the "poly count" that would be recommended. Then i found this place =). And now i am getting into modeling, more then programming, but i am still planning on making the game.

I would recommend, find a free game engine, and mod that. Plenty of tutorials out there on most, defiantly half life 2.
  • silversteez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i agree--if you are starting with zero game development experience, then pick a popular mod-able game and get modding. you will learn the basics.

if you really want to create and own your own thing, you could check out garagegames offerings. there are better engines, from what i hear, but they offer a lot of tools, tutorials, etc and their stuff is relatively cheap.
  • jeramy79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm currently using Torque Engine Advanced from GarageGames, and let me tell you I do not recommend them. 3D Studio looks like a better platform to use, along with TV3D and some others. Do your research first. Don't make the same mistake I did. I just jumped right in and wasted $300 dollars.