Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Spaceship - school game project

Space is infinite, or something ;P So is the supply of spaceships ;D

Anyway,
It's for our second game project at school and this thing is supposed to be around 40m in length. And it's supposed to be a support class ship, so not that many fancy guns. The two at the front of the ship are the bad guns, shooting some beams. And the two down on the "wing" are releasing some immense amounts of small robot things that like repair the targeted friendly ship (aka green beam ;D ) Cockpit on the top of the ship.

And worth mentioning, some smaller details such as plates and rivets/bolts will be added through heightmaps so some of the plainer areas are going to receive some more love once I start working on the heightmap :P

Please, feel free to crit this :)

This is the highpoly version ^^

CAeVtLEMB.jpg

mDqxmKOtU.jpg

DpQoyBruS.jpg

Replies

• Splodger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its very good, nice and clean, alot of details on the guns could be done by textures. But if your not fussed about polycount then its perfect. Only real thing Id change is make the Engine port slighty wider, but thats about it.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Splodger, thanks :) And I'll look into a way of making the engine thing a bit bigger in some aspects :)

Oh whoops, I forgot to mention that this model is the highpoly ^^ Will be working on the lowpoly sometime this week :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looks really cool, an interesting shape, so your going to bake this all to a low poly?
  • oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    have a concept you're working off of? Maybe just take some sillouhette renders to show the form better. Seems like the overall form could be tweaked a bit more.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Ged, thanks mate :) Yea, was gonna make a lowpoly sometime this week and bake this down to it. Then add some more detail in the forms of heightmaps and stuff. Hopefully it'll turn out cool :P

oobersli, Aye, I do, nothing fancy though just a really simple one I came up with. And now that I take a second look at it, I could probably work a little more on roughening up the silhouette underneath and at the back of the "shell". I'll see what I can get done in the morning :) Thanks mate

cHZRMuLNT.jpg
  • Johan Carlsson
    An update. Pimped the silhouette a tiny bit and made the lowpoly.

QlHCNLryd.jpg

yvLDRPcsr.jpg

Lowpoly ended at 4068 triangles.

Now, time to bake a cake :]
  • FactoriesBurning
    that looks awsome. very star wars.
  • Johan Carlsson
    FactoriesBurning, Thanks mate :)

Here's another update

Lowpoly + normalmap and ambient occlusion

Next up is some basic colors and heightmaps

hWazLKaxN.jpg

CiceBpZmo.jpg
  • Johan Carlsson
    Last update for today. Got some of the colors out that I wanna be using. Still need to define the teams color a little more though, so something redish will probably land on the rear hull tomorrow. And then we'll see when things gets done :)

pVIWFBzvf.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    looking good so far, hit us with some more texture :)
  • Johan Carlsson
    Here's the blue color scheme and with some ambient lights and heightmaps. Haven't touched the specular any yet and haven't applied any real textures. So there's still some more work to do, just thought I'd pop in with another update :)

wNxYEWYpq.jpg

rTYIEiZrl.jpg
  • systmh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i really wanna see the back be the front for some reason.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looks great, now bash it up a bit :D
  • Johan Carlsson
    Hehe, how come you want to see the back as the front, systemh? Though there's nothing stopping you from moving backwards through space ^^

Oh tomorrow is bashing time Neo xD I was thinking about adding a few scorch marks and the result of flying through space dust and whatever junk could be flying around in space. :)
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    oh wow I never even realised Im the same I keep thinking the back of the ship is the front, it just looks more powerful and imposing in that direction. I mean theres no friction in space so aerodynamics arent too important.
  • Johan Carlsson
    Hehe, true what you say Ged ;P Aerodynamics don't really mean anything in space, and neither does wings. And even if a flying cube would be cool, I just woulnd't be good enough to make it interesting ^^ But I just like the thing of having a sleek and clean top of the ship and some junk underneath it, like a train lokomotive.

But if I'm gonna design another spaceship sometime, it would be pretty cool making a flying wall, hehe. Just for the sake of breaking the aerodynamics thinking.

Just waiting for my classmate to start his own WIP with another of the classes in the game. Which is alot less aerodynamic. It's more of a flying pistol, which is pretty cool ^^
  • Johan Carlsson
    Here's another update. Got working on overlaying some textures on the colors and working a bit with the spec and adding some random stuff. Please, let me know what you think!

Red team:

CZktAeXAo.jpg

AhXdBfjap.jpg

Blue team:

tGewmqIfr.jpg

pdfQKnJvC.jpg

I'll post some ingame screenshots of the ship later on when we get the shader working as intended. Then there will be reflectionmaps and bloom and stuff, hehe. So maybe it'll look a little better in there. :)
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Quality stuff man, better than some pieces of professional work I've seen. :-) Is that the cockpit up top? It's screaming out to be made into something F-16 like. And those turrets could've used more beef, they look puny against that nice clean hull.

The wear and tear looks misplaced, imo they need to travel horizontally across. Imagine the spaceship's been through a lot of high speed asteroid dogfights...where would the scratches be? Which areas would be the most scratched up? What would the scratches shape like?

Just needs a bit more storytelling in the texture. Keep it up!
  • AsylumSeaker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good. I'd make the lights a little less fluro, but thats just me.

RE: Aerodynamics don't matter in space.

True, but you have to think about deflecting enemy fire. A big flat surface as the front would make a nice target.
  • verybad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    verybad polycounter lvl 17
    It's important to look cool in space. That's even more important than aerodynamics in an atmosphere in fact. Looking cool is the most important design consideration a spaceship engineer MUST attend to.

If you don't look cool then you end up being one of those background explosions in a big space battle.

Cool ship.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    nice work on the texture, the specular is grayscale is it? it might be cool to use a colour specular and make certain areas of the specular brownish gray( like where dirt is), and others blueish gray or whatever, just to push the metallic look. yeah and more storytelling like snowfly said hehe.
  • renderhjs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    renderhjs sublime tool
    the model is nice and but the red, blue and green 255 (full r,g or b color) colors look uninspired- I´d change them sligthly just so that they dont match the full channel of each. Can´t explain why kinda the same way like picking any font but not times or arial.
  • flow3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flow3d polycounter lvl 18
    the scratches kinda killed it for me ..
    it kinda made the proportions totally different from the other version of the textures ..
    the ship went from being a huge cruiser kinda ship to more of a fighter, since you added those dents and scratches ..

might have been what you were going for though, seing as the cannons are more in proportion to the rest of the ship .. hmm

very well, go on :)
  • Johan Carlsson
    Snowfly - Thanks man! I got started on adding some more horizontal dents and scratches. Let me know what you think :)

AsylumSeaker - I kinda like the lights on the ship, so think I'm gonna keep them. But we'll see how it looks ingame with all the shaders and stuff on. The red and blue things are there to try and define the team a bit, hehe.

Ged - Added some more stuff to the specular to make it a little more interesting.

renderhjs - The Red and Blue will stay as they are since they're defining the team that ship is in. And we'll see about the green, dunno how it'll look in the game later on when it starts spewing green stuff ;P

flow3d - Hehe, I'm gonna take that as a good thing ;D Since I was going for a more of a big "fighter". Except that this is a support class ship. But still, it's around 40m in length so it's not a big cruiser.

Anyway, here are the updates for today:

PtFVeiRWT.jpg

FWGxSlQNW.jpg

DrXyjVnHe.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Sick nasty. Good improvements. I like the battle scars. :icon60:
  • Johan Carlsson
    Thanks Cody :)

Had some more people poking me about the lights so fixed 'em up a bit. Lifted the cockpit up a bit at the back and pushed it down at the front to give the pilot a better field of vision.

Gonna have to leave the ship for a bit now. Need to get the spheremap working for our game so I'll be quite busy with it for the coming week. But if you see something that's really raping your eyes, just hit me with it ;D
    Thanks for all the helpful critiques this far though!

ITbovaMxT.jpg
  • MLinderholm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MLinderholm polycounter lvl 12
    Maek spheremap nao!
    Btw it looks even better in-engine with reflections n stuff!
  • Ajunip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ajunip polycounter lvl 9
    Very cool! :O
    Please, post the flat map... I am working in a spaceship too, and I am with some doubts...
  • Johan Carlsson
    The spheremap is about done nao Mikael ;P
    I'll upload some screendumps from the engine latorz on when the reflection and hopefully bloom is added. :P

Thanks Ajunip, and hera are some flats for you, diffuse and spec:

eNftyErJn.jpg

PxaYEPTZo.jpg
  • hjd_uk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice job. I like it.
    Although, wouldn't it have been easier to orientate the major pieces of the ship-uvs to the texture-axes, so the hull-paint could have been easily done with a simple flipX/flipY?
  • Johan Carlsson
    Glad you liked it :)

The ships hull is rotated exactly 45 degrees so flipping some textures in photoshop was pretty easy. And the lines came out quite nice at a 45 degree angle aswell. So when painting the hull I just had to flip things vertically once and snap-rotate it a bit to get it to the same position as on the other side of the hull.