Home General Discussion

Trying to break into the industry when not fresh out of school?

So basically my story is I'm 28 and have been trying to get into the business of making video games professionally for the better part for 4 years. First as a character artist, and now as an environment artist. Ive had one 3D related full time job in my life working with a company doing 3d laser scan models as a general 3d artist. Then allot of unrelated jobs.
Over the years I've basically "given up" for 6-8 months at a time, but I've basically sent my stuff to every place In the US that I could find that makes games.
other then my first job I got after a 5 minuet interview, that ended up with me starting in 2 weeks and life being good. I've had maybe 5 art tests and 0 interviews,not even a short one over the phone, nothing. I stopped counting after contacting 300 companies and that was along time ago. I've tried "head hunters". lots of them, nothing. I know I have the skills to be a professional game artist, I really just want a chance to prove myself,how do I get that chance? Doing this is really all I've ever wanted to do for as long as I can remember, I think I wanted to make games when I played super mario 3 when it first came out, so that's a few years.

knowing that the internet is the best place to ask advice about your life, I ask you polycount. I've lurked here forever and this is my second post.
How do I get my foot in the door without a school/anyone backing me up, and little 3d related work history?

thank you for reading all those words if you made it this far...

Replies

• Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
    I would ask you if you have a demo reel or online portfolio up that everyone here could view...this might help gauge what's going on a tad?
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    Honestly you have what I would say is an "average portfolio". Crates ... check.... barrels ... check ... building facade ... check. It does show that you can do game art but nothing on there really jumps out and makes you stand out. You need something that really feels unique to you. If you have trouble figuring something out, hook up with a concept artist.
    There is no perfect formula but finding a way for people to identify you with a piece of work (or an entire body of work) really goes a long way.

Good luck!

- BoBo
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Echoing what Bobo said, nothing in your portfolio is really bad, but it's just average.

However, as I've said to several people in the past, there is enough meat there to work with, you just need to work on completing some assets and learning how to present them.

Lensveld 794 - that rolling door is just pasted onto the wall, not recessed, no mechanism. th stop sign inside a building wouldn't be so damaged. Everything just stops, there is no blending between objects, too many hard edges.

Barrels are just reusty scratched metal, but you've given no indication or real weathering, leaking contents etc.

The tree is fairly nice - why not do some more of them?

The building facade is so generic and cloned. There wouldn't be so many aircon units, they need more variation on them.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Yep agree with the above.....

....If you are SERIOUS about wanting to get into the industry, then put your head down and churn out some awesome folio work. Stop lurking and post some work for crits and feedback. There is no magic formula....
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Looking at your stuff, your texturing and lighting need a little push. There's too much recognisable cloning going on, especially noticable in the rustic doorway texture. There needs to be more confident manipulation of your photo sources, mixing/layering colour and texture to produce what you want for each material surface. Look at games like CoD4, Gears, HL2 to see how lighting changes the look of the assets in-game, get inspired and try to emulate that lighting solution when you present your work.

As has been said - you've done the groundwork, it now needs polish. Have you considered joining a mod team? That way you can see your assets in a top tier game engine like unreal or HL2, and get help, feedback and encouragement from the other members - some of whom could already be game pros. And of course you can pimp your stuff here for appraisal too.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    keep your chin up and keep trying. I went as far as going 50k in debt to get my Bachelors in Computer Animation and hasn't seemed to help either.

Coming from the professional side of IT, I'd have to say the Game industry seems rude, cold and lifeless. Out of about 300 emails and applications I would say only about 5 emailed me back even to say they got my resume.

One company cold contacted me for an Environment Job but it was just a recruiter and the dev folks didn't want me.

Other thing is I only know Maya, so not knowing Max hurt me. So, now I'm teaching myself that.

I'm 35, and feel like I'm getting too old for trying this myself. I have a wife and two dogs and thankfully no kids to put through this, but I'm really thinking of going back to IT myself and going back to doing this for fun.

I can't realistically think my wife would want to move with me every few years to keep finding 3d game jobs across the country. That's the other thing that limits my entry into the industry, knowing I can realistically only get a position in Orlando,Tampa area or Dallas/FTW area as my wife job she makes good money and I'm the slacker.

Keep your chin up and keep in the game, at least you can find a 3D job. I got a BFA and still can't even do that.

:D
  • Asmuel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asmuel polycounter lvl 17
    You just have to be persistent man. Being fresh out of school or not makes little difference IMO, when I graduated almost nobody got a job except for one or two.

Keep pushing your folio, get it to a good level, and then apply everywhere again. First impressions are important, as far as quality of your work goes. I'll point you in the direction of some freelance places if you like, once you think your folio is ready.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Asmuel wrote: »
    You just have to be persistent man. .

and dont rest ..eat, sleep, breathe your portfolio. Learn
  • free-willy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    free-willy polycounter lvl 17
    like everyone else has said,keep your chin up and produce more top quality work.im 27 and have been trying to get into this industry for nearly the last 6 years.fresh out of uni with a degree i thought i would be snapped up..........doesnt happen,although the work i sent off back then was a joke to be honest.Ive had girlfriends,freinds and family all tell me maybe im wasting my time,but ive stuck at it,kept posting online,entering the various comps they do and kept applying to companies.
    Its disheartening being rejected everytime,in my case i never even got to know why my work didnt grab their attention! but the silver lining is that the hard work does pay off in the end,ive finally got a job in this industry,..start in just over a weeks time.
    good luck
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thought about doing contract work? It would get you some titles, experience and some more pieces for your portfolio, and you would start to network.

About your portfolio:
    Over all, the art is pretty good. But the lighting needs to be improved, the textures are noisy and often too big for the object they are covering and the meshes are not optimal and the use of polys is sometimes out too high for the objects they represent. The lack of modular design on the buildings facade hurts the overall strength of that piece. If you don't mind I'm going to rip it apart, if you do mind you should stop reading at "Awesome job."

Site Design
    :
    Is great, the layout is perfect and the navigation is a breeze. Awesome job.

Gallery:
    Garage: At first glance it looks pretty good this is your strongest piece. Looking at the poly distribution the pipes, wires, and lighting fixtures are really dense and can be done with much more optimized geometry. Different sizes of pipes could help. The sprinkler system isn't the only system in the building.

It says realtime, which engine where you using? The lights and shadows say "Hi I'm from 1996 taint I purddy?" At some places the enviro guys are also doing the lighting, and this lighting makes a strong case not to hire you. Lighting is VERY important and it can make or break a scene. Taking the time to learn basic lighting techniques will help you not only in Maya but when doing level art.

Barrels:
    The texture is so noisy that its actually working against the normal map. The lighting isn't helping to show off the normal map at all. They don't fit in with the background. Something that rusty, that banged up would fit in a much more banged up dirty world. It might help to flip the board after you copy it?

Tool Box:
    Looks great. But why three of them viewed at roughly the same angle? Why not rotate the copies 90 & 180 degrees?

Boxes:
    On a box that has rolled metal edges you can chamfer the edges and round it out a bit, boxes don't always have to be "boxes". The texture is very noisy. I'm not sure how all of these noisy textures are going to stand up at different sizes? Some of them are pretty big for standard props, 1024x1024 for a barrel?

Building Facade
    :
    Looks pretty good, a little cloned in places and could use some trim but thats to be expected with modular design, overall looks pretty good. Then I look at the wires and I'm left scratching my head. Its not nearly as modular as I thought. Instead of 4 modular pieces copied 16 times, there is 1 piece copied 4 times. If you wanted to do a variant AC unit you would have to do an entirely new unique piece. Doing the base piece in 4 chunks instead of one, gives you much more flexibility to insert variants that break up the cloned look.

If this was for an current game you should breaking it up even more and do it as a set of pieces you can use to make a building with. Window frames, ledges, air conditioners. You can create one detached window frame, make a few variants and save yourself a lot of texture space, and you're then leveraging the full power of instancing. Not to mention you now have a bunch of pieces you can arrange any way you like to make more unique buildings.

Resume:
    The text is on a noisy background, its kind of annoying to read through.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Another thing to, is to not aim dramatically high on your first attempt at application. The first studio I worked at was a real shit hole. The building was from the 1800's, there was mold on the walls, wires all over the place - I even had an electric outlet catch fire and melt my surge protector. But it WAS a foot in the door. You might consider working for a similarly small studio, as a first-step into the industry.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    Where do you look for contract work and also aim 'not' as high? :D
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Hmm I think demonstrating versatility is the key to success, being able to adapt to almost any given challenge... eg: To show you can model high/low poly, organic/non-organic and that the shaders compliment the model/s at the accepted level so that computational requirements to render the work are not strained to a point where the time would exceed general deadlines (even thought they constantly fluctuate) required for the publication of media.

I would say that the universally accepted qualifications for most jobs in the digital industry and many other areas reside in experience and not the academic.

Having worked on a couple of mods I know this is a starting point but be sure of whom you are working with even if it's non paid work, let's be honest you want your name in lights and publicised as much as possible so don't get caught out!
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dekard wrote: »
    Where do you look for contract work and also aim 'not' as high? :D

I found my current job through IGDA's local chapter website. They had a long list of local developers some I had never heard of. I check out each one and applied at the ones I liked.

I'm not sure about your area specifically but we have 2 agencies that find artists work and a few that find other industry related (non art) contract work. One of them is hard to get into unless you have prior experience but its not impossible. You can also email the companies directly letting them know you're available for contract work. Some places would rather sign someone on for 6mo and if it works out hire them after the contract. But its harder to get hired away from an agency. But then agencies often come with benefits and have wide resources to find you that next gig.
  • Glasswalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glasswalker polycounter lvl 17
    There are some sites that offer thorough reviews of demo reels. Duckdemo.com is one of them. It's great to get feedback from the folks on the forums, but sometimes the reviews aren't real complete. You might try something like that.

I toughed it out for a year doing art outside of games before I broke in. I found one thing that helped was keeping close friends with another talented artist, so when he got into a game company, he was able to refer me. Networking can go a long way too.

Good Luck
  • xensun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey guys, thanks for all the advice, Its really helpful. Special thanks to vig for taking the time to breakdown everything like that, very cool.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One thing for sure as well, I didn't want to read through everyone's replies. But simple as it can get to really shine is 1 thing.

Take you're Artwork and put it side by side with a well known 'or' holy god of an artist. And see what you are missing. Then simply after comparing just go out and seek the knowledge and train yourself if you don't already know it. Because it will boost you pretty high up to be able to get jobs in the industry.

Generally speaking any job is not hard to get. If you know yourself and you know the company you're going for, with you're work. I wouldn't stress too heavy thinking your chances are slim.

-Also, modding helps too. Some agree and some disagree, but if you're portfolio lacks what employers want to see in a future hire. Join up on a mod team and you'll be sure to get some work for a portfolio.
    As I have known quite a handful of fellas that have gotten jobs just because of modding. It's a real Plus ;)
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    three words:
    Make Something Unreal.
    http://www.makesomethingunreal.com

build a level. Contests like at that level, and dom war, are watched. But MSU is great simply because epic is looking, and if you prove you can use the technology, make great art, and a level that plays as good as it looks, then that's something to get hired over. Not a shoe-in of course, but nothing like international recognition to help further those career goals.

Secondly: Look for internships if you can qualify. I just applied to Amaze Austin seeking an artist internship. Even if it pays like any other semi-skilled hourly job, its still a foot in the door and a way to practice your craft 8+ hrs a day rather than do something unrelated all day to pay the bills and then try and fit in lots of art time.
  • ShadowM8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShadowM8 polycounter lvl 18
    Since you've been trying to break into the industry for almost 4 years, the body of work you have seems very small. I would've expected to see more.
    Otherwise I think your work is good enough to get in at an entry level as an environment artist and I am surprised that after so many applications you weren't able to get anyones attention. Try looking at how you are pitching your work and to whom!

Edit: Your texturing work seems to be the strongest, perhaps you should tailor your portfolio towards it, and find a studio big enough that it stills hires texture artist to work along side general environment artists.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    What i would say you are missing is an over all focus in your portfolio on what you want to break into the industry as,if your gonna try as a character asrtist focus your work towards that but i recommend the easiest path and break in as an environmental artist.

You just need better environment work and more of a focus toawrds a portfolio that shows that.

I looked over the few assets and a few recommendations.

The oil drum is a case of too much detail with no real purpose on the detail,the details all gets muddled up and you lose the shape and features and in alot of places you have details which are constant over a large change in the height of the objects topograhy,scratches are fine but when a large scratch goes over an area the way you have them mapped i think overlay. Good detail on an object should show age as well as defining the basic shapes instead of muddling it all together.

Your crate is plain,when i see it i see a standard primative box,art directors will see tons of crates and if your gonna place one in your portfolio, make it stick out,model more details into the box and think of its silouhette as well

The tool box is alright but looks too plain and too generic.

But keep your head up man it took me a long time as well to make it in but you have what it takes,you just need to polish your techniques