Home General Discussion

Am I wasting my time learning Blender?

I'm a broke ass fool trying to push my way into the 3D gaming industry. Blender is free and seems pretty powerful. Should I continue to use blender, or should I work on learning 3D studio max and Maya with their 30 day trials, and PLE versions until I can afford to actually purchase them?

Most of you guys here are putting 3d images out left and right like pros (which you probably really are the pros). What do you suggest?

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Does blender let you really model and texture things? And I don't mean the wishy washy stuff, I mean does it give your serious control. If blender lets you do the tutorials on Cholden's site for example, then no.

http://chrisholden.net/tutor/tutors.htm

The first one I would try to do would be the low poly human because if you can't extrude, bevel, cut faces and unwrap your uvs, which I think Blender can do then it would be pointless. Check the tutorials and if Blender has all the modeling and texturing tools to allow you to do those tutorials then in part no. Just keep in mind though that every time you have to go and learn a new program you sort of have to start from scratch to a degree since all the programs work differently. Honestly though you might just want and go and take and look at XSI mod tool since from the last time I checked it's fairly complete. I never liked the crap they added to the Maya Ple the freaking watermarks and restrictions was bs. You can also try Wings or see if you can afford Silo 3d.

Alex
  • Flynny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flynny polycounter lvl 9
    xsi mod tool, does what it says on the tin.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Which software you used for your kick-ass artwork doesn't matter to the pros, it just matters that your work kicks ass. Artistic talent is what we hire, not button-ology. If Blender does the job, then stick with it and pound out a jaw-dropping portfolio.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Blender is a great program that lets you do pretty much everything (I still use it myself for all my uvmapping), and the techniques you learn will be pretty much the same as you'd use in other apps. But since where you end up working is most likely going to be using max or maya, it would probably be best to just start with one of them, saving you from having to later transfer from blender to them, which takes a bit of time to get used to even though you are using the same techniques.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    IMHO I would suggest carrying on with Blender and supplementing it with Silo for modelling, which is dirt cheap. Alternatively try XSI which is a good cost/feature mix.

Blender tends to be a jack of all trades - master of none which is good, because you can get to grips with the whole process in one package, but bad because the learning curve can be pretty steep - and getting top notch results can be fiddly.

I've used both Maya and Max professionally, but don't own either as an individual, which leaves me with blender and the lower cost apps for private work.

Overall, definitely not a waste of time.. The principles remain sound whatever tool you use, it's the processes that change, and results that count.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah Blender is fine to learn
    It lets you do pretty much most things I've been able to do in Max (though I prefer blender purely for its hotkeys and to me, easier vertex editing.) There are a few things missing but nothing you can't do manually (I've yet to find a push modifier and the Hi to Low baking feature is a little counter-intuitive.)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Short answer: Yes, it will hurt you to stick with a nitch program and not learn any of the mainstream 3D apps.

Long answer:I think the question is, why not learn them all and really expand your chances of finding a job? Beyond functionality you have to think about pipeline.
    - Is XYZ company going to toss your resume when they don't see the 3D app they use listed in your resume?
    - Are they going to need to learn a little bit about Blender so they can train you?
    - Can blender actually do what THEY need it to do? Is adding and supporting another 3D app on top of their pipeline worth it?
    Chances are you'd have to be an amazing artist for them to consider it.

I would stick with a more traditional 3D package, 3DsMax, Maya. Most people don't expect you to drop down that kind of cash just to learn, and I'm sure that you would only show up on someones radar if you started using it to make money.

If you stick with the free versions and free apps, its going to be hard to be taken seriously. But if thats the road you want to take heres my spin on each of them.

GMax: is 3dsMax4 without rendering. Not that many schools teach 3dsMax so the pool of people applying is sometimes smaller while Max still commands a large chunk of the industry. There is a lot of documentation for 3dsMax floating around the interweb. This makes it friendly to someone trying to train themselves. The help/tutorials in G-Max give you everything you need to know about the core interface (which is still the same) and the modeling tools. The unwrap modifier basically works the same minus a few new features that make it faster.

MayaPLE: It's great, I think they removed the annoying watermark from the viewport... A lot of places use Maya, a lot of schools churn out Maya users. It can be a bit harder to find quality learning that doesn't gouge you. It's been kept up to date and if you do decided to go to school, chances are they are using Maya.

XSI Mod tool: Looks to be a free version of XSI, not that I know much about it. XSI is on my list to learn after I learn Maya. It's 3rd on my list of to-learns because its 3rd on the list of most used apps.

Honestly, I'm sure blender is a great app and if people actually take the time to learn what it does they would agree. But most people won't bother and would rather hire someone that fits their pipeline and knows their tools rather then expand their pipeline to include support for another 3D app.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I disagree. From my point of view, it's a plus when the candidate is familiar with the software we're using in-house, but it is nowhere near as important as their artistic talent. The new hire has to learn the employer's custom pipeline anyhow, learning a different 3d app doesn't take long, as long as he/she knows how to use one of the others.

If your art is awesome, but you're familiar with a different tool than what we're using, I'm still gonna hire you. On the other hand, if you're a pro with the software we use, but your art skills are lacking, we just plain won't hire you.

If you have both, that's a plus, but in the end it's the talent that carries all the weight.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally agree if the art is there, then it really won't matter as long as he's willing to train up. The odds of his art being that amazing are kind of stacked against him. But it would help to see what hes got.

To answer his question which I read as "what will get me a job in the industry knowing Blender or knowing 3dsMax/Maya". If he's not a superfantastic-amazing artist then spending his time learning 3dsMax/Maya will greatly help his chances of getting in.

He'll need artistic skill but not a high level for every type of job in this industry. He can get his foot in door with knowledge and a relatively low amount of skill. Then begin to work on his skill while getting paid, building experience and shipped titles.

I suggest if he wants to keep using Blender learning enough about Max/Maya so the time spent retraining will be minimal, but it would be unrealistic to think that blender will be accepted as a 3D package into anyones pipeline, unless he's just that amazing or the pipeline is really flexible. Both are kind of rare cases.
  • kat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kat polycounter lvl 17
    Learn Blender, as has been said as you've no cash (and I presume you want to stay legal *cough*) it'll learn you all the basic principles you need "to model", those skills are always transferable (with a bit of head banging) to other apps.

Also, from what I understand, there are a fair few startups and Indie studios starting to look at or already using Blender somewhere in their production chain because they have a lower risk factor involved in doing so. That's always a career option; small studios.