Home General Discussion

Speculating about Zbrush

admin
Offline / Send Message
System admin
Oh gawd I want this application so much, haven't made too many normal maps before and only in max, mostly rely on substituting with good diffuse and bump maps from Photoshop. Would you guys say that if you can paint in Photoshop you would find Zbrush as easy?

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    GCMP wrote: »
    Would you guys say that if you can paint in Photoshop you would find Zbrush as easy?

Im no zbrush pro but I would say - no theres definitely a learning curve. It will eventually be just as easy but it will probably take a while to get used to the way 3D sculpting works and learning how to get the results you desire, not to mention the interface and the importing and exporting and retopologising process. I guess its a bit like photoshop cause no matter how much experience people have in ps painting theres always new ways of doing things and custom brushes and workflows to try out.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    If you're looking for ease of use, and similarity to photoshop you really need to try mudbox out. Zbrush's ui is designed by a bunch of crack heads, on the moon. While zbrush has some more powerful features, the simple ease of use in mudbox make it a much more realistic application to actually use to accomplish tasks, well for me at least. Whereas i need to relearn how to use zbrush even time i open it, mudbox is simple and intuiative, very much like photoshop.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    EarthQuake wrote: »
    Zbrush's ui is designed by a bunch of crack heads, on the moon.

Quoted for being so god damn true. The interface for zbrush is horrific at best. the way you save your work is convoluted and not what you would expect.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    bodypaint 3d has a horrendous ui :D
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: »
    Quoted for being so god damn true. The interface for zbrush is horrific at best. the way you save your work is convoluted and not what you would expect.

You press ctrl-s?

Less tongue in cheek: Take a look at the Subtool Master script they released, it skips over the doc/tool and automates going to the top level to avoid on save crashes.

GCMP: They both MB and ZB have trials, try them. Neither is much like Photoshop, but if you're familiar with sculpting in clay it's similar to that, but easier.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Subtool master rawks!

I've never crashed on save though so I don't really use it for that. But the mirror and merge tools in STM make it a must have addition to the toolset. I prefer zbrush myself, simply for all the tools it has that mudbox doesn't. The UI is annoying at times but not that big of a deal if you are doing a lot of sculpting.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    It's a different beast and you just have to get used to it, while you do that you might go postal. Once you get used to it's alright.

Alex
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    Kary: I was referring to having to save out the tool. I have not used ZBrush since 2.5. Since then mudbox has come out and hitting ctrl-s saves the mesh I am working on and not the bloody scene screwing you over from editing that "tool" you were working on and losing your work.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Gwot wrote: »
    Subtool master rawks!

I've never crashed on save though so I don't really use it for that. But the mirror and merge tools in STM make it a must have addition to the toolset. I prefer zbrush myself, simply for all the tools it has that mudbox doesn't. The UI is annoying at times but not that big of a deal if you are doing a lot of sculpting.

Yeah, if you can actually see yourself sculpting every day, or atleast a few times a week zbrush is a good option. If not, you will likely have to re-learn it every type you open up the app.
  • kary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kary polycounter lvl 18
    Keg wrote: »
    Kary: I was referring to having to save out the tool. I have not used ZBrush since 2.5. Since then mudbox has come out and hitting ctrl-s saves the mesh I am working on and not the bloody scene screwing you over from editing that "tool" you were working on and losing your work.

Ah. Everything before 3.1 was painful in my opinion -- useable, but technical and not 'fun' (except 3.0 which was probably unuseably buggy). MB brought a clean UI that got rid of the feeling that the program was blocking what you were working on. With 3.1 ZB can be equally clean and there are a few tools with no MB twin.

Which does make me hope that Autodesk gets MB2 together sometime soon. It would be interesting to see them take some of those ideas and see them developed with a traditional / minimalist UI.
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Agreed. I'm ready and waiting for a mudbox 2 upgrade. If it doesn't impress, I have no worries. Will just commit more fully to Zb till the next upgrade cycle. WIN WIN!
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    zbrush=power!

Interface=Bad, written by aliens!

But, who cares man. If the price of making great art is learning something different, wouldn't you do it? I resisited zbrush kicking and screaming. Everyone said Mudbox was the answer. Well, for me, so not true. Zbrush is far more powerfull. Mudbox is great though. You can pick it up, learn and use it in 45 min. But it is super limited. Zbrush has conbination power. Like, you can paint one brush, with any stroke and any alpha in any combination of the 3. Mudbox is limited this way. Additionally Zbrush pushes polys different and has no slow down when painting on billions of polys. Even on 2gig's of memory, it still allows you to paint faster than mudbox would at only 4 mill.
  • Whargoul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whargoul polycounter lvl 18
    I love, love, love Mudbox - but I use zBrush all the time now. Mudbox has a normal UI, things work as they should, as you expect. I even like the feel of it's sculpting better in most cases. Unfortunately, zBrush kills it in performance. Absolutely crushes it to pieces. I pretty much gave up up Mudbox for now. My current model is about 120 million triangles in ZB, there's no way I could do that in MB, even with hard drive streaming. Sorry MB, I wish you well!
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Thanks guys, gonna download a trial of zbrush and see how it goes, I got a couple of tutorial videos on it so might be able to make some nice detail on my statuette head before the day is out :)
  • Vitor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vitor polycounter lvl 18
    Mudbox might seem better at first look (regarding UI and workflow, not getting into performance and tool power field). It looks like the usual 3d program. But that isn't, in my experience, a good thing. Interface is slow, you need to dance around the model like flying to sculpt it, adjusting proportions is just a big pain in the ass (does that move tool really only works on the normal vector?), adjusting brush size is slow.... Zbrush is harder to pick, but a lot better in the long term.
  • vik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    I like both. Mudbox`s tools (or brushes in Zbrush - tool is the name of the mesh in Zbrush for some strange reason) feel more natural.

Especially the flatten brush is great, in Zbrush it never gives me the result I expect/maybe I should play with the settings/. But that`s it really for me at least.

Zbrush can handle millions of polys on my crappy computer /subtools!/ + it has so many nice features especially after v3.1 came out.

It has a weird workflow and some really annoying things but once you get used to it you forget about them /ok that`s a lie :poly004:/.

Zbrushcentral is huge and I always find the answers to my problems just by using the search button or the online help.

You can get some nice scripts and plugins for free both from Pixologic and other users /for example incremental quick save, old smooth brush/. You can drag buttons anywhere you like than hide it with tab if you dont need them. I could go on. Zbrush does make mo go :poly105: sometimes but I still prefer it over Mudbox. Anyway, sculpting is sculpting only the tools are different so doesnt really matter which one you learn first.
  • System
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    System admin
    Downloaded a trial and messed around with it - my internet connection has been going haywire with a fault for the last 24hrs so no access to learning material as of yet but after half an hour or so I was for the first time with any application actually amazed at what you can do... made this shell in around an hour...

Shell2.jpg
    Shell1.jpg

Yeah the UI... I was like what the hell!! Where is the file dropdown? Very strange layout :poly111: