Home General Discussion

Rock Band european release

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
Played the imported version, loved it. Won't be buyuing it though.

"Perhaps more disappointing is the price: unlike the US, which received a Special Edition that includes the game, a Fender Strat guitar, the drum kit and a mic, all for $169 – Europe will only get an Instrument Edition priced £129.99 / 169 Euros, including the three peripherals but not the game – which, bought separately, will set you back £49.99 / 69.99 Euros. So, if you want the proper Rock Band experience, the minimum you're going to have to shell out is around £180 / 240 Euros. "

At current exchange rates, that about US$350. DOUBLE THE COST.

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    It's especially not worth it with the crappy hardware. I love the game, but the hardware quality is complete shit. I'm on my 3rd week waiting for my guitar to return, which stopped working about 2 hours into the first day of playing it.

I do enjoy playing the game though. I find myself playing it WAY more than Guitar Hero. I do wish they would have made the software where players can change instruments in the band though.
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    What on earth is the "instrument pack" for? What good is that, without the game?

As it stands the price for that pack is almost bearable (I was expecting it to be around there) but to package it without the game - the only game these peripherals work with - is a little, well, crap. And I thought Guitar Hero was pretty steep.

I doubt I'll buy it.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    best game ever. 131 songs and counting.

however, at !350$! that's quite a pricehike.

I had problems with my hardware too, but thanks to best buy's warranty plan (lol they had no idea what they were getting into), I can replace it for free as much as I want for a year.

my second set of stuff all works, however my roommates' is still being replaced regularly :\

so if you can get stuff that works (which honestly shouldn't be too hard this far after launch - and I seriously doubt the euro release will have the same problems over again) i'd go for it. (mainly if you're planning on getting the dlc which is AMAZING)
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    love how europeans get contrantly fucked price wise, its amazing. And they get surprised i buy consoles and games from the states...
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's cheaper to import the game and instruments, throw away the game and then buy the PAL release of the game (Xbox version is region locked).
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Ow, thats one hard bullet to bite.

Yeah and the peripherals are cheap. I've already broken the foot pedal for the drums. But I've already got a real pedal mod to fix that...
  • greenj2
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played this at work a few weeks ago and its wicked fun. The European price difference is absurd though, I read this response from Harmonix on gamesindustry.biz this morning.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/harmonix-responds-to-euro-rock-band-pricing-criticism

It's the usual bullshit and question dodging you'd expect. I feel for you guys buying games in Europe. As an Aussie I'm quite used to having arbitrary price increases slapped onto the games I buy. Import...
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    You guys got boned. :(
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    also why are the periphals so damn expensive ? they cost like 1 dolar to make or less ! im all in for making money , but straight forward rip off NAH.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    I'm sure that's not the case. At least.. not initially. It's not like guitar controllers were ever 20$ each.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    1 guitar controler here is 79 euros game not included.
  • Paul_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Play.com are doing the instrument bundle for £100. £95 if you can find one of the %5 discount codes that are drifting through the internet.

Buying this and waiting for the game to be sold at £30 or less somewhere would dent the ridiculous price to an almost reasonable point, considering that the cost of importing the set from america would bring it to a similar price.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In an interview, someone from (harmonix?) said that the shipping costs had to be taken into account.

Indeed.

Which got me thinking - where are the components made? The drums are listed as Made In China. So is the plan to ship them from China to the USA, then ship them from the USA to Europe? That would explain the shipping costs.
  • kwakkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kwakkie polycounter lvl 12
    Hah! Funny, if I want to ship something from America I normally dont have to pay an extra 125 euros to do so. And you'd think it would only become cheaper if you transport it in bulk. ;)

What a cheap excuse to make more money, I know 2 people that were waiting for this game, and they both cancelled their pre-orders!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    take that, Europe! ZING!