Home General Discussion

Eat 3D announces Unreal Materials - Introduction

May I introduce to you an exciting new training video brought to you by Eat 3D (www.eat3d.com). In this demonstration the instructor starts off by giving a detailed explanation of commonly used material nodes In Unreal Editor 3 from Unreal Tournament 3. Once the foundation is laid it’s on to creating several full materials using only a few textures. This tutorial is appropriate for artists on multiple skill levels. If you have never used a material editor you should be able to follow along and understand. Even if you are experienced using the Unreal 3 material editor, you should pick up useful information throughout the DVD.
You get over 20 textures, free to use in your project, and of course several really useful UE3 Shaders.
To watch a sample of the video please visit this link:
http://eat3d.com/training_videos/shaders/ssample

shader_content_01.jpg

The instructor is a sr. environment artist at Sony Online Entertainment and has been involved in making next gen games inside Unreal Editor 3 for over 3 years now. He has worked on titles such as Midways Stranglehold and Blacksite Area 51, and is currently working on an exciting unannounced next gen MMO at SOE.

Sincerely,
Eat 3D

Feel Free to ask any questions or post comments here, I will monitor this thread! Thanks!

Replies

• Scott_W
    The sample videos are spot-on with what we've been doing for a couple of years in UE3. It's great that someone is making this available to other people. I'm excited that one of my dirt textures I submitted to CGTextures is now famous since it's being used in the tutorial for creating a dirt shader!

Great work guys:)
  • Eat3D
    Thanks Scott! CGTextures is a really amazing resource. Im glad we were able to remove restrictions with the textures this time and let people do what they want with them.

Eat 3D
  • beancube
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    I highly recommend Eat3D as a training resource, from the one video that I own and have used. It all feels authentic, and useful, compared to some other training resources (such as Digital-Tutors, which are good, but I never feel I can trust them somehow).

I'll pick this one up for sure after my relocation and I have more cash freed up.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I purchased this training dvd from Eat3D on Monday evening and it is definitely spot on and very informative. I definitely recommend it to anyone looking to do work or already working with UE3. The training is precise and top quality not to mention Riki is a stand up guy and knows what he's doing. All I can say is keep them coming and I look forward to what you bring in the future.
  • Riki
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, if anyone has a suggestion for upcoming dvds please let me know. I have a few other professionals almost ready to start a DVD and things are starting to get exciting. The next video I will probably do is one strictly on Texturing for next gen games, and all that implies. After that I was thinking of an unreal Lighting DVD and also perhaps creating a modular next gen hero piece.

A few things I personally plan to address is trying to sound a bit more enthusiastic and also keep the pace of the audio narrative going. With the Pillar video, there were too many moments of silence, and with the Unreal Materials one, my voice is really drab in some places. (this is some of the feedback I get from trusted friends, they also like to giggle at my Texas drawl ;P).

If anyone has any other suggestions, please let me know.
    Also, if there are any professionals who think they would be interested in doing a video, write up a proposition and it will be considered by Eat 3D.
    Thanks for everyones support, Eat 3D is quickly growing into something :)
    Riki Babington
    Sr. Environment Artist
    SOE - Austin
  • Lee3dee
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Riki! I watched the materials DVD at work great stuff!

Would you guys be interested in a UE3 particle tutorial at Eat 3D? learning how to make impact effects, explosions, fire, etc.
  • Riki
    Offline / Send Message
    Riki polycounter lvl 9
    I am very interested in the particle stuff too, and I don't want to give away too many spoilers (things change so fast), but a good friend of mine who was a lead FX artist using UE3 is planning on doing a DVD in the not so distant future. I will post more info when I get it.

Riki
  • Jonathan
    Yep, great training material.

Just bought the old pillar DVD/training yesterday. :)
  • ImSlightlyBored
    Offline / Send Message
    ImSlightlyBored polycounter lvl 13
    ordered both these (dvd format) due to the quality of the work and the fact theres very little out there for environments, especially concerning next gen workflows.

Riki, that lighting one sounds like a great idea. Thats something I'd have suggested, as I've noticed even the best assets get kicked in the ass by poor lighting. Would it be focused on environments again (as I hope?)
  • Sage
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I got the Pillar one it's was pretty nice, especially because you did not skip things. Learn a lot from it. Looking foward to getting the the materials one.

Alex