Home Technical Talk

selecting edge loops in the max unwrapwindow

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Peris polycounter lvl 17
Is there any way to easily select edge loops on your model while in the max unwrap UVW window? this would really speed up my workflow! i really wish the selection controls were the same in unwrap UVW as they are in edit poly.

Also is there a way to weld a group of vertexes in the unwrapwindow just like the weld button in editable poly?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I am an idiot this is supposed to be in the help forum, someone please move it =)
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ring and Loop aren't part of the UVW Editor window but the are part of the Selection Parameters rollout and can be used if in the viewport like the normal ring/loop function. The only problem is that if you select an open seam (green line), it won't know which edge on which UV piece you wanted so it selects them both. Easy enough to deselect the one you don't want.

I think it reports it to the MAXScript Listener when you click loop, you could watch it (make sure the last three options are turned on in MacroRecroder), record what it does and hot key a script to it so you're not having to take your eyes off what your working on.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    Ooh thanks alot, for some reason i never touched that loop button, thats exactly what i needed laugh.gif!. I bound it to my edgeloopselect button and it works perfectly, thanks!

Any idea on the vertexwelding question? Right now i have to pres ctrl+t and weld every vertex individually which takes forever. i just want to select all of them and weld everything within a certain radius.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its ctrl+w to weld selected, you might need to toggle on/off the keyboard shortcut override if it doesn't seem to be working.

Also if your verts are far apart in the UW space (forward/back) you would need to either scale them flat (in UW space) so they are closer or increase the weld threshold. Click "options" in the uvw editor window and set the weld threshold to a really high number if you want to weld everything selected. If you go options "save current settings as default" whatever is in the weld threshold is the new default =)

To switch to UW space, in the upper right next to the texture selection drop down is a little box that normally reads UV, change it to UW.

Edit: you might also want to check out some of James Hawywoods UV Editor scripts www.jhaywood.com/maxScripts.htm
    I like the "Align UV's Vert/Horiz" Scripts. I think you might have to download the whole bundle but they are individual scripts that are easy enough to extract.

I also suggest binding "Stitch Selected" to a key, mixed with "edge loop select" you can sew a seam in 2 hits.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I love the stitch feature. Helps immensely.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    thanks alot vig, im working alot fatsre now that i know of this basic stuff =). Also thanks for the haywood tools link, this stuff is really useful!
  • CodeFather
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CodeFather polycounter lvl 15
    Polyboost has got nice ring and loop features along with align vertical and horizontal.
  • Mic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mic
    Vig wrote: »
    I also suggest binding "Stitch Selected" to a key, mixed with "edge loop select" you can sew a seam in 2 hits.

It's driving crazy... I can't bind any hotkey to "stitch selected". In the customize user interface, I have set "stitch dialog" to the S key, (worked in max 7). At work, we now use max 2008. But no matter what keys I bind to the stitch dialog/selected it won't work. I got the normal stitch to work, but most of the time I need to adjust the bias, so I want to see the dialog every time I stitch an edge. Even if you go to the top, and select Tools... It shows the letter "S" next to stitch selected in the pull down list as it's hotkey!? "The Stitch is a lie"

If anyone can help me, that would be awesome!!!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Mic, turn off the Keyboard Shortcut Override toggle. It's a checkbox in the Customize User Interface menu, if I'm not mistaken.
  • Mic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mic
    MoP wrote: »
    Mic, turn off the Keyboard Shortcut Override toggle. It's a checkbox in the Customize User Interface menu, if I'm not mistaken.
    I thought that might have been the cause, but already tried it... Several times :P. Thanks for the suggestion.

UPDATE!!! Fixed. For some reason the check box next to the Unwrap UVW in the Customize User Interface menu would not refresh correct from moving from the main UI pull down list. If anyone else has issues, make sure you check that active check box. For some reason it has refresh issues showing the correct status.