Home Technical Talk

suggestion for sub-notebook (will use Maya)

Hello..

I've been looking for getting a portable notebook that can handle particular subject, MEL, plus 'light' modeling and animation in Maya.

Budget is 400 USD +/- (for 2nd hand, for sure...), and I'm particularly interested in 'portable' size, say 12~13 inch screen...
Currently I'm interest in Dell 700m, but I'm not so sure about Vid Card on it (intel extreme graphics 2)...

Any opinions or any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    I have a 2 ghz Pentium M(obile) 760, 64 mb integrated ATI mobility graphics card, and 1.5 gig of ram (used to be 512 mb), and this handles Maya with light modeling and animation, plus mel. This is a 2 year old, IBM T43. So basically anything with these specs should do fine.

But the 700m costs more than $400...hell the battery is $134.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi, Illusions.

I was looking at the T-34 in the early research, but kinda hoping to get possible scenario with bit lighter one, as I am willing to dedicate this baby for mobile MEL learning.

Hmm, the spec on T-34 seems way richer than 700m (both CPU and RAM; I was looking for 1.6GHz Pentium M and 1GB DDR on 700m if any becomes available)
    Big thanks for information as comparison data for Maya usage.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just to make sure, is Intel-line vid card 'must-not' to get for Maya? I found some laptops are quite attractive but intel vid card steal my interest away as I'm not quite sure...

Thanks!