Home General Discussion

What chair do you use/recommend?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Yozora polycounter lvl 11
Was thinking about buying a new chair, the one I'm using is one of these;
6179296A65UC226455X.jpg

and they are terrible tongue.gif They arent that comfortable to sit on for long periods, the backrest breaks easily and the screws at the bottom keep coming loose every 2 weeks or so, which makes a squeaky noise and requires me to screw them back in again -.-

I'm looking for something that lasts long and is comfortable after long term usage, anyone got any good suggestions?

Replies

• arrangemonk
  • Mark Dygert
    girl_on_ball_2.jpg
    She didn't come with it tho so I was greatly disappointed and started using a slightly older model of this

Kidding aside I do use a ball on and off. when I'm in crunch and spending 10+hrs a day at work a ball just isn't possible but for most days its great. My posture has improved and it helps keep my back strong. It also helps me keep my core from getting flabby. Albeit its not a replacement for regular exercise, but it does help more then sitting in a chair most of the day.

Balls aren't for everyone, but they are cheap which makes trying them out easy, if it doesn't work for you after a week go with something more expensive. Just know that if you sit too long in any chair you'll get uncomfortable so make sure you get up and move around!
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    the boss got one of those a few years back and people just ended up playing beach ball with it when he wasn't about..
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    hehe arrangemonk , I've exactly the same, and I must say it's just perfect.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I've been using a cheapo $60 chair from Target for 2yrs - works great.

Some people suggest those $1500 chairs - I think that's just bs. Any chair will do ya. High backs are better though.

Sitting on balls all day might be good for your core, and might make you think it's good for your posture, but it's not. The best position for your back is a 35º angle, leaning back. That's the least stress and most soothing for the back. If you're working 12hr+ days at a desk, do it. smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    A free run-of-the-mill office chair I found by the trash. Yay for frugality! But it's actually comfy.
  • adamlewis
    I would just recommend heading to your local office supply store and trying out the chairs on display. Our bodies are all a bit different so a chair that might be comfortable for me might be too soft/firm/reclined for you. Funny enough, the chair I found to be most comfortable was also one of the cheapest chairs there, and the really expensive chairs while being very pretty, were actually the least comfortable.
  • pliang
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    For people of girth like me...I prolly need a rock to sit on.

....But yeah I would give most models at the office supply store a try.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Oh! Nice thread, so important too.

I have been using Allak for years now. The advantage of IKEA is that you can find the exact same chair everywhere in the world if you ever need to move and get a new one, plus it's delivered at your door. My first purchase travelled quite a lot, ended up selling to a collegue because he wanted it so bad when I changed places :P

Now I just got a fresh one for home. At work I use ... an Aeron. Careful with these. At first I was given a B size and hated it, it was truly the worse siting experience I ever had. But I later switched to a C and it's a HUGE lot of difference. It's great, dynamic and nice to jump on :P

So if you company has a few you might want to try that. Otherwise I'd say, fake-leather exec chairs are great.
    I hear Arsh is sitting on a high stool at work. I am very curious about this, might be the next cool thing.

Oh btw I KNOW I'll get a Charles Eames one day. Try it at a store, you'll fall in love.
  • killingpeople
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    http://www.bizchair.com/2300-os.html

[/ QUOTE ]

I have this chair [stole it from kp] and I loves it
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Josh_Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    I don't know about those mesh chairs, seems like if you busted ass in one, it would just seep out into the open air. Not like an old school foam pad. Soaks those fumes up!
  • oobersli
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    better than out the back of a mesh than crawl up your back on a foam padded chair. ooo.gif
  • TheWinterLord
    Offline / Send Message
    TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    better than out the back of a mesh than crawl up your back on a foam padded chair. ooo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hihi or not...

smirk.gif
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't know about those mesh chairs, seems like if you busted ass in one, it would just seep out into the open air. Not like an old school foam pad. Soaks those fumes up!

[/ QUOTE ]

Most (all?) Herman-Miller chairs come with on-site repair as apart of the warranty. I've heard many stories of the repair guy coming the next day to fix/replace broken parts of the chairs. Breaking the mesh would probably be a part of that so, with this chair anyway, you'd be fine :P
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    k3nmgg.jpg

Check this bad boy out. I'm a student in England (2 story houses) so I had to move it up the stairs and my roommates complained about the living room being a bit too empty but with the 12+ hours per day I've been spending for my disertation it's paying off.

/edit I also tried to add some ass as a freebie, but the flash screwed me over. Stupid flash crazy.gif
  • Rob Galanakis
    What the fuck is that on your wall.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    It's a sloggi poster (my homeboy has an underwear store and gives me all sorts of nice posters) with two chicks' asses on it, but the surface was too reflective for the flash frown.gif
  • Wells
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    looks like a hairy man-ass
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    lol those legs look super hairy smirk.gif
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    looks like a hairy man-ass

[/ QUOTE ]

ha, you beat me to it wink.gif
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    *calls lawyer to take legal action for defamation of character*

It's just the poster's texture, it's shinny fabric, not paper or something.

2j18n0m.jpg

That's POV because I couldn't be arsed to get up from my chair and shoot the pic.
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    BTW vic, I'm studying at Teesside as well.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Something minimilist. I find that if I sit in super cushy high end chairs, my back gets worse. It feels fine when I'm sitting in the chairs of course, but outside of work it is much worse when I'm standing or lying in bed. A minimilist chair with little support or an exercise ball forces me to use my core muscles to stabilize, and my back in general feels better due to better core strength. I have a hard time with the ball, so go with a very basic chair with no armrests, comfy base seat, and a basic back that lets me rest against it if I have to, but doesn't cradle me like a baby.
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Also depends on what you are working on. I know my posture is completely different depending on the job. Ex paint=slouch, keyboard stuff= straight as a stick.

I wouldn't recommend no armrest tho. What do you do with your elbow when you paint Ryno? I know I can't stand having it in mid air, it's just painful. But maybe you have a L-desk? Those are cool...
  • motives
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    im with you adam. any man who is serious about his sitting should check out the aeron.

Not that i can afford one... But damn they are nice chairs
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I used my left elbow as a pivot point and eventually it made my hand go numb, so I have stopped doing that now.

I now have a servant who holds my elbow for me while I paint:)
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    btw my chair is an ergonomical wonder smile.gif
    2qtk677.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi bud, I`m doing games art, final year how about you?

• t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    [ QUOTE ]
    btw my chair is an ergonomical wonder smile.gif
    2qtk677.jpg

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hi bud, I`m doing games art, final year how about you?

[/ QUOTE ]

The same. BTW do you happen to have any idea on the exact time we are supposed to give the final year projects in on the 31st?

I still haven't started on the fucking report man, it's killing me. I started working on my project on the 14th of this month, I'm supposed to be doing 3 characters and I'm sooo behind.

Are you taking the games development module?
  • vik
    Offline / Send Message
    vik polycounter lvl 13
    "All Final Year hand-ins to OASIS at 12.00pm on the dates indicated above"

I`m doing the 60credits FYP. 4 characters, all WIP atm. Still long way to go for project as well...

To be on topic I`ll add that crunching 14+ hrs on a crappy chair is a pain in the butt. frown.gif
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    Oh man, I'm so happy I'm not the only one who's so behind. Yeah, my megachair works wonders for the crunch tbh. I'm doing the 40 credit, supposedly I'd be doing 3 characters, but I don't see me having time for a 3rd. Just being able to texture the two of them instead of giving them just with the normal maps would make me a happy happy man.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't recommend no armrest tho. What do you do with your elbow when you paint Ryno? I know I can't stand having it in mid air, it's just painful. But maybe you have a L-desk? Those are cool...

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I have an L-shaped desk. Elbow or most of my forearm can rest on one side, and my primary monitor is actually in the crook at the middle. If I'm doing a lot of painting, sometimes I'll pivot my wacom to be a little more perpindicular to that side of the desk. Having a desk with adjustable height is vital of course if you end up going without arm rests.
  • eXpendabLe
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    good thread. I'm still searching for the right chair. seems that regardless of what I've used I seem to have to throw a pillow on it.

how about those funky posture chairs.. anyone use those?
  • t4paN
    Offline / Send Message
    t4paN polycounter lvl 10
    I used to have one of those at the place I lived in last year. It had plastic armrests even though it was a cool chair overall and very comfortable otherwise, but the hard armrests just numbed my elbows to death. My living room chair beats all.
  • Jesse Moody
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Dragging this up from the dead. I just got an Aeron at work. Raven bought them for all of use.

Simply amazing.
  • Slum
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I guess.. They force me to use proper posture, because if I sit incorrectly any number of gizmos will poke in uncomfortable ways.
  • East
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    The Aeron seems really nice. We got some new Herman Millers as well when we moved to our new offices, but they were the Mirra Loaded model which I gather is the little brother of the Aeron. Really amazing chair which has done wonders for my (previously) achey back. I wouldn't call it comfortable per se, and that's not the job of a good work chair anyway, but it helps me keep a good posture.