Home General Discussion

New on the Forum, need advice!

Krav
polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Krav polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, how is everyone doing? hope all is well. I'm graduating soon, and I honestly need some interesting scenes to do for my Demo reel. I need a total of 3 scenes. any reference or ideas are always appreciated! I was thinking of 1 scene to be realistic, second to be horrific, and the third to be cartoony like world of warcraft or fable for example, just to show that I can do it all. As I get more help and reference I will be sure to post some of my older stuff and offcourse the new props that I will do for my new scenes. wink.gif Thank you very much (I'm going for 3d enviroment artist and prop artist). <font color="orange"> </font>

Replies

• oobersli
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oobersli polycounter lvl 17
    if your graduating soon, you probably don't have the refined skills and years of exp to "do it all". I'd focus on one style. Pick a studio(s) that you're interested working at and create scenes/levels in the style of their games.

Worry about just getting one good scene first, then move onto others.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    There are these cool programs called poser and bryce you can get, they are soooo cool for making scenes. Something cool and realisic like this:
    digital_art_3d_2d_abstract_surreal_flicker_light_bryce___i3.jpg

[edit]
    Sorry for the totally unhelpfull and lame post, it was for my own entertainment and I laughed. smile.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Just my opinion but I'd go with the typical genres for your scenes. Sci-fi, fantasy and current. That'll cover most of your companies.

Be sure to work each one up until it's good enough to get you a job, then start on the other. Don't have all three going at once or you might end up with three half finished scenes.

Be sure to tell a story in each scene, that's definetly important.
  • Murdoc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Murdoc polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, Jdinges has the right idea. The easiest thing is just go to conceptart.org are look at everything you can get your hands on; then pick a couple of peices you like to model from and try to nail it as close as possible; adding your own accents to it is always cool too.

Worry about one scene at a time and make sure you are technically doing it correct for a game(if your shooting for an in-game environment anyway)
  • Krav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krav polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks guys, helped a lot.
  • Krav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krav polycounter lvl 9
    I still don't know how high I should go with the poly count/ texture sizes for the demo reel. I want to make it look nice but also show that I can do both high and low poly.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    What exactly are you graduating from? Why aren't these sort of things addressed in your curriculum?

What school do you go for? What degree / certificate are you graduating with?
  • Krav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krav polycounter lvl 9
    I graduate from the Art Institute of OC, and I will be graduating with bachelor's degree of science. my major is Game Art & Design.
  • Krav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Krav polycounter lvl 9
    The main focus of this forum was to be able to get a visual for what I want to do, as in the saying 2 heads is better than one, when it comes to the ideas. I don't graduate until fall or winter. It's just easier with the classes I am taking at the moment I can do work for my demo reel so it saves me a lot of time. smile.gif