Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Much better.

Still hate the CG creatures.
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    I definitely prefer the alternate. Very cool.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Much better.

[/ QUOTE ]
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Meh, it's better, but still doesn't do it for me.

Him making friends with the vampires is just a bit too silly.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    The CG mummies are pretty lame. But the scene is much better than what they ended with. Considering I read that they want to do a sequel to Legend it would have worked out better as well.
  • Empty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Empty polycounter lvl 18
    I'm still not sure if they actually read the book. Both of the endings are awful. The alternative does stay somewhat closer to the story's overall message. Only they decided to put happy pink fluffy ribbons all over it and smooth over the rough bits to make us feel better.

Wrong -10pts
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Much better.

[/ QUOTE ]

QUOTH FOR TRUTHAGE.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I could almost enjoy this version if I wasn't constantly reminded they have rubber mummy jaw syndrome.
  • Rens
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i dont know, its different.

kinda like going down hardcore instead of just making friends like tulkamir said. a bit silly

well said vig :P
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    perhaps they could have had a big muscical number at the end:)
    Personally I feel it was n't just the end sequence which spoiled it. The last third of the film fell a bit flat, like they had ran out of ideas.
    The new ending was ok, but it was n't the ending they went with, so thats it:)
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    What the f*** was wrong wrong with the ending from the book?

Neither this nor the real ending of the film are any good frown.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is the ending i was expecting all along... the one in the theatrical cut was shitty
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    this alternative is very "american movie" where the hero lives on to save the day. The original where he sacrifices himself to ensure her escape sits better with me.

although we had another thread about this movie at the time, it's not the ending we are disappointed with, it's the sub par CG animals & zombies.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Well it doesn't have the tacked on religious motifs of the original ending but it still has the nonsensical butterfly jibberjabber.
    The ending I wanted to see was the one which I think originally appeared as a comment on IMDB. Smith sticks the woman and girl into the coal chute thing and blows himself and the zombies up with the grenade as in the original. Then the camera pans down to the door of the coal chute which is slightly ajar to reveal two charred manequins. Roll credits.
    It would have fit in much better with the rest of the film and is a more satisfying way to end the film, and a little closer to the nihilistic way the novel finishes.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    alternate ending #2 = zombie pr0n yes?
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    this alternative is very "american movie" where the hero lives on to save the day. The original where he sacrifices himself to ensure her escape sits better with me.

although we had another thread about this movie at the time, it's not the ending we are disappointed with, it's the sub par CG animals & zombies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes but the theatrical ending has them finding the cure to the zombie-vampire-mummy disease, this alternate ending doesn't. Either ending has its "happy ending" factor.
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Actually this ending does have the cure. Where this alternate ending begins, he is saying "I can save you I can save everyone!" Because this clip starts after he realized his subject was cured. Then he re-infects her and you see the virus taking over. ...i think. smile.gif
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Somehow having the rubber faced ghouls just leave strikes me as a rather childishly wishful ending. The theatrical ending made more sense, and the charred bodies in the chute would have been the best.

But then again that's a little too depressing.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Somehow having the rubber faced ghouls just leave strikes me as a rather childishly wishful ending. The theatrical ending made more sense, and the charred bodies in the chute would have been the best.

But then again that's a little too depressing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think audiences would be able to accept it though. Just look at old shows like The Outter Limits, or The Twilight Zone. A lot of those episodes had really depressing, negative, or pessimistic endings. They did well enough on their own, I'm sure the same could happen in a movie.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, but this is a Will Smith movie. :P
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually this ending does have the cure. Where this alternate ending begins, he is saying "I can save you I can save everyone!" Because this clip starts after he realized his subject was cured. Then he re-infects her and you see the virus taking over. ...i think. smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What happens is that he finds the cure, but then he realizes they don't want to be cured. All they want is to be left alone and get the girl back. It's just like the book in how they have formed their own society and they are fine with the way they are. In this alternate ending he apologizes because he realizes the reason they have been coming after him this whole time was because he goes out every day and kills shit loads of them who don't want any beef with him. He allows the girl to be infected because all the other dudes just want her back and she just wants to be with her "lover" or whatever. This kind of follows the original book ending where he becomes a legend amongst the vampires, hence the name "I Am Legend."
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Heh, imagine that, an American movie made in America, has an ending tailor made to its audience... America... who-woulda-thunk-it =P
    And I couldn't agree more with the CG. It ruined the movie more then anything else. Also the monster roar sound is over used in movies, almost as much as the Wilhelm scream.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Original is better, imo, other one just seemed kinda lame.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    both are pretty poor imho =)
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Well, both endings are pretty poor I agree, along with most of the movie.
    The best parts are the sets, in my opinion.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Just watched the Vincent Price one. Now that's one meaningful ending!
    Plus the dog is in there too. Doesn't last as long as Smith's tho :P

And it's public domain :
    http://emol.org/movies/
    http://emol.org/movies/horror/index.html
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Well, we went out and rented the movie, then we were left with a 'WTF' feeling when we realized that not ALL copies included the alternate ending :/ We rented it at Blockbuster, and all they have are the single disc version. I didn't realize there were two versions. With all the ads they've been doing, I would never have known.

Guess I've got to find a way to download it somewhere, since I won't be buying this movie.