Home General Discussion

MS Vista SP1 is out

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
Here's the release notes.

Now, what I am wondering and hoping, is that the problems I was having with Vista that made me roll back to XP SP2 are fixed.

Basically, I was getting shitty perforce in Photoshop CS2 and Max.

Now, Max I have updated to 2008 but I still use (and prefer) CS2.

So for anyone who tries out the new Service Pack please let us know how she fairs.

Thanks!

Replies

• doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    I got my new laptop 2 days ago and installed SP1 last night. I have no previous experiences with Vista, so I can't offer a comparison. I'll let you know how Max and Photoshop fare once I get them installed.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Just updated to SP1 remotely. I didn't have any issues with Vista before running Max or PS, but did have other problems. My network connection would kind of turn off at times. Not sure if it's the pc, the network card(integrated :S) or router, and it wasn't so annoying that I bothered to hook the pc straight to the cable modem.

That, and Metal Gear Solid & Final Fantasy VII won't run. frown.gif

cries.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    ditto for me
    I'm running max 8, I don't do any high poly stuff so I haven't noticed any problems. I just turbosmoothed a teapot until max started to slow down, happened around 4 million polygons, that seems good to me.

the first time I ran max I believe it said it had to turn of Aero, it's a quick flash when I start max and I don't really notice a big difference in the windows interface.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    I've been wanting to make the switch to Vista for a while now, so this may be the excuse to do so.

-caseyjones
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Still don't see any reason to switch to Vista. All it does it eats up a lot of valuable memory no matter how I configure it. Besides, XP pretty much just got mature enough to be usable.

I might make the switch in 2-3 years. Or if I need to preview some fancy schmansy DX10 stuff every 30 minutes or so.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    SP1 is still eating up your resources? Otherwise I'm not sure why you mention it now :P This service pack is suppose to fix those issues.

I would agree that there isn't much reason, other than to have a new interface/feel though.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah, even with SP1. I have an old partition with Vista that I dust off from time to time just in case I need it for whatever reason. Mostly so I can more easily troubleshoot remotely for my grandma using Vista.

I can get XP use below 300 MB of memory, but for some reason I can't get Vista to use less than 700 MB. Maybe I just suck, though.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vista is designed to use 60% of the ram at all time (unless there is absolutely no reason). If you watch the memory as you add applications, the ram usage will spike, then eventually level back out to 60% again.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Are you sure? I have 4 gigs in my box and while running the x64 version it uses roughly 27% of that after a clean install. Although there could be a limit to the usage, and adapted to 2 gigs of RAM..
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's what I was told from one of my buddies that was on the beta testing. I then tested it on my machine with 1GB, using the system monitor widget. My usage would typically hover around the 60%. I would fire up Firefox, and memory would spike, then settle down to 60% again. It was pretty consistant until I finally loaded enough programs that it took more than 60%.
    It rarely went below 60% though, even with everything off.