Home General Discussion

EA + T2i?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
it'll never work. they knew it. and now they are going the underhand way to buy up shares / investors? Denying they want take two for the sports titles...

the GTA franchise has survived thus far (DMA [psygnosis], sony [post-psygnosis], take two. I doubt it would survive EA. Or is this the way of the industry?

No bones about EA, but do they really need to own everything? And when they cannot, why the underhand take over?

Replies

• ironbearxl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ironbearxl polycounter lvl 18
    Big fish eat little fish to survive.. . NOM NOM NOM
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    EA is becoming the Microsoft of the gaming world, no doubt.

I BIG, U LITTLE, GET IN MEH BELLEH!
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    EA likes the power trip when it's on it's little takeover spree...

Last I heard its 26 per share
  • doc rob
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doc rob polycounter lvl 19
    Take Two's own majority shareholders unloaded the bulk of their shares and are suing the T2 Exec team because they keep voting themselves massive redundancy packages as a poison pill for EA. That exec team, by the way, is in power because of a hostile takeover.

Why do you doubt R* would survive? EA isn't stupid, they'll let them keep making GTA games as long as they want.

What I want to know is; why havent' I seen a new Max Payne game in forever? Why has it taken so long to make progress on the Mafia sequel?
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    how dare you try to defend the evil machine doc!!!

ea's new strategy lately has been buy a good company and then support them and let them do their thing. i know here at mythic its been nothing but positive
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I feel like EA has been pretty decent lately. Maybe its necessary for most dev studios to be funded by a massive conglomerate like EA in order for us to support our un-profitable bussiness.
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    I have to agree with Doc Rob and Rhinokey, my coworkers...EA is not an evil empire like so many people make them out to be. I'm quite happy working for them and have nothing really bad to say about my experiences working with them thus far. It's funny how people harp on them being evil or bad and wanting to own everything and then destroy what they own. It's really rediculous and uninformed. Like said above the management team at EA now seem genuine in their attempts to allow the individual development houses exist and do their own thing while supporting them in every way they can. They definitely seem to be quite generous in their support of EA Mythic. I don't think it would be any different for those coming from Take 2 if brought into the fold. They've definitely not done anything bad to our new groups at Pandemic and Bioware from what I've seen and been told.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    ea's new strategy lately has been buy a good company and then support them and let them do their thing. i know here at mythic its been nothing but positive

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, but they are attempting to buy a whole <u>publisher</u> in this case and not just an independent development studio as they did in Mythic's case.

Competition is <u>good</u> for capitalism; EA buying up strong publishers, thereby eliminating the competition, is a very bad thing for our industry no matter how you look at it.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    $$$

wink.gif

At least there is one glorious upside. Our industry is one of those select few that is more stable than all others economically.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=17874

Right???
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    the GTA franchise has survived thus far (DMA [psygnosis], sony [post-psygnosis], take two. I doubt it would survive EA. Or is this the way of the industry?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, no doubt the first thing on their agenda would be to screw over one of the largest and most profitable franchises around.

Honestly, Take-Two is known for having some pretty terrible management, as far as the company itself goes, this may be a good thing. Now of course, in the bigger picture it sucks whenever a company as large as EA starts eating up major competitors. So yea, it sucks, but whatever. :P
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Yea, I feel like EA has been pretty decent lately. Maybe its necessary for most dev studios to be funded by a massive conglomerate like EA in order for us to support our un-profitable bussiness.

[/ QUOTE ]

that wouldn't explain take twos take over, because they are hugely profitable. Rockstar is just one of the few dev houses under their wing.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

that wouldn't explain take twos take over, because they are hugely profitable. Rockstar is just one of the few dev houses under their wing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea, certainly. The take two stuff is obviously just EA destroying competition. However, I do feel that it's amazing that publishers are able to fund dev studios as much as they do when so much money is lost. Isn't that odd? I mean, I'm pretty sure most games dont make money.