Home Technical Talk

Really basic max question

Well first, is there a thread about basic max use?
But anyway, I cant seem to find an 'insert edge loop' tool. I used it all the time in maya and I know there has to be a way to do that in max. thanks in advance!

edit: and I am using max 2008

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All these can be found in the Edit Poly.
    Select two parallel edges or loops and hit connect.
    Draw new edges using the cut tool.
    Select any edge and hit chamfer.

You might want to check out polyboost also. http://www.polyboost.com/
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    This is a good site for a 3DS Max crash course.

http://lounge.ego-farms.com/

you can also look at Poops site for modeling and texturing tutorials.

www.poopinmymouth.com

Alex
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Select an edge, hit "Ring", and hit "Connect".
    I have these on the "R" and "C" hotkeys, so to insert a new edge loop halfway between any given set of edges, I just select one, hit R, then C ... very fast, instant edgeloop.
    If you only select two edges it will only make a new edge between the selection. More versatile than Maya's insert loop, in that way.
    If you want to slide the new loop, turn on Constrain to Edge in the Editable Poly rollout, and just move the new loop around.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Selecting two edges, converting to loops, hitting connect, and then sliding the loop is really a pain. I thought it was pretty standard until I saw someone working in Maya and just being able to insert a loop with one click.. Polyboost has this feature, and it's absolutely awesome.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    you don't have to select two edges in max...

also, NEX's connect is much better than Maya's default insert loop, since Maya's can only do edge loops, while NEX's will do the loop if you just have one edge selected (same as Maya's standard, except all the settings are draggable/previewable using middlemouse), or if you have 2 or more edges selected it will only connect between the selection. If you have verts selected it will make a new edge between the verts. If you have faces selected it will split them with an edge loop.
    This is called context sensitivity, something Maya lacks a lot of smile.gif

I'd much rather have one hotkey which can do multiple things depending on your selection, than a hotkey which only ever does one thing.
  • The_Kozmonaut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yea I have polyboost at home but not at the studio where I am interning. I could probably see if I could get it there, but now that I know the basic max tools, I can probably do without it.

Yea and I also have NEX but at the studio they only have 2 seats with Maya so I figure I might as well switch to max. Switching is actually pretty easy anyway, it was more difficult getting used to viewport controls than anything.