Home General Discussion

Striving for perfection

As my post count indicates, I do not participate too terribly much on these forums. It's not for lack of wanting to, and it's not because I feel superior in any way. It's because when I am home, I tend to be spending a lot of my time trying to become better at my artwork. I've reached a point however, where I feel I need to step back, take a deep breath, and start evaluating some things.

I have been drawing forever. It's something that has always come naturally to me. I've taken classes, I've gone to school, I've taken a year of fine arts, and I have a degree in 3D modeling and animation now. I have always prided myself on speed and efficiency of my work. Getting by in High school, my doodles were generally more detailed and refined than most things my classmates had spent hours on. This is not to brag however, I'm simply trying to give an idea of where I'm coming from.

Honestly, I don't think of myself as some great artist. I know there is plenty of room for improvement. I keep practicing and studying for hours on end, and I do so with a drive to better myself. The problem is, I think I have some illusions and it's starting to really drag my work down. Going back to the efficiency thing, somewhere along the line I decided most of the concept art for games and shows coming out are done in about 20 minutes at a desk with a #2 Pencil. That in mind, I've been trying to reach that kind of skill level.

I'm rather certain this is the wrong mindset. Further more, I think this kind of expectation of myself is doing some harm to the quality of what I've been attempting to do. I'll work on getting a rough sketch of a character or something worked out. After a little time however, I get fed up with it not being complete enough and I start to get frustrated with myself not getting it correct the first few times.

I guess what I'm looking for is some kind of idea of how much time and what goes on in a professional setting of sitting down and working out concept art and the like. I figure if I can get that phase of the creation process more refined and figured out, my modeling will undoubtedly be improved to a large degree as well. Could someone do me the courtesy of explaining what the average scenario is and what goes in to it? I'd greatly appreciate the help.

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I believe the most successful pieces of concept art come from reference material research, efficient and iconic graphic design elements, and grounding in a specific context.
    In my opinion, no matter how skilled a concept artist is, if the guy just sits and doodles all he gets at the end of the day are ... doodles. Handy for brainstorming, but not really pieces of concept art.

I think it's a great, trippy feeling to think alot about a piece before starting it - shaping the story, lighting, materials in your head before laying down the first stroke. But it's just my opinion...
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    1 day of thumbnails, 2 days for a finished, nicely painted, character concept is pretty reasonable I should think.
    and by days, I mean 8hr work days.
  • Rick Stirling
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Hey Rick is that barontieri dvd good? it looks quite useful, I might buy that. The ian joyner max character dvds look good too but theyre a little expensive.

I dont work in the games or concept art industry yet but Im thinking josh is right about the timescales.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Valkier I think you would improve more if you posted what you where doing instead of wondering how long something should take, and as far as how long something should take it will depend on the boss. wink.gif Some will go with what Josh said which I think is very reasonable, others will say something like they want it done in five hours or less. Are you mostly sketching or are you also doing the shading and working with color as well? If you are just sketching without doing the shading and adding color you should start doing that, working with shading and color I mean.

Alex
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    Valkier,
    So many artist face this delima. Ricks idea is probably the best idea though. Process is much easily realized when you learn from someone else rather than working blind. My 2 cents is, in addition to learning from tuts, try steps like pior said. Having an image thought of in your head is definitely a large percentage of the battle. However, past that you need to except that your not going to make a master piece the first time. Use one of those blue pencils and try realizing the image in your mind on a sketch book. I would do this for as long as it takes before you start to see progress in similarities between whats on paper and your minds image.
    Lastly, Sage is right. I don't think anyone can properly improve without feedback from other artist.
    Post my friend and show us the goodness.
  • Valkier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, I kinda feel like this should be done in pimping and previews. If that's the case, just let me know and I'll set it up there. I just thought since this is where people have commented, I'd throw it up on this thread rather than start another.

My portfolio website is here. Yes, It's not a self made website. I figured this was fine to get me through till I could find a decent job and afford a few more things. Most of the work there took maybe around 4-5 hours, while others look 4-5 days. Hopefully this lets you guys see a bit more of what I'm struggling with. You'll have to hit View All Sets to see everything I have posted.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    you could start a sketch thread? then your on-going progress will all be recorded in one long thread or you could pimp each idea, its up to you.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I couldn't agree with Pior more.
    I'm mostly speaking from an environment artist perspective but I think it applies to characters as well. 90% of what I've cooked up in my head over the years as been greatly improved by searches for reference.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Yeah, I meant post your stuff in the pimping and previews section. You should also make a thread in the sketchbook section of the forum, if you think it would help you that is. At any rate you seem to not be using basic shapes to build up your figure drawings or character drawings. The end result is that parts of your drawing looks flat instead of having the illusion of volume. Yes I know that many professors are all for using gesture drawing to capture the pose and feeling and energy of the subject but this is just step one. Step two is to check if the proportions are correct. Have reference. Look at the reference and use simple shapes to build up your drawing. Then break up these shapes into planes. You need to draw lightly for this to work. Also try and just draw what you see. Yeah that sound like a contradiction, but keep in mind that true masters can just draw what they see with no need of help. I meet an artist that could draw anything without reference or having to build things up, but whatever, not everyone is a savant. wink.gif Yeah he was my age. wink.gif for the rest of us you just practice and that's it, and that artist was always drawing because he just loved it. I didn't say keep at it until you are good because I learned the hard way that if you don't practice your drawing skills often, well you lose them and have to build them up again, it just quicker than the first time around.

Step three would be to make it look like you drew what you saw only, as in you erase or blend out anything that shouldn't be in the drawing.

Actually forget the whole step bs, all I'm getting at is that you draw in passes. Similar to modeling a character, you start with basic shapes and then build up. Once you are a god you can try something else, but that's up to you.

I think worrying about how long something should take isn't really important at the moment since you are looking to improve. Make it look realistic if you are doing figure drawing, or practice that, since it's clear to me that you can do cartoons. Don't worry about your brain telling you that you are doing something wrong, but that is easier said than done. I know I'm repeating a bit of what I said in my first post, but really worry less, draw more, post, rinse repeat. Don't expect lovey dovey crits all the time either, just listen and try what gets said and see if it works.

I really liked the shy dog illustration.

Alex
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Hey Rick is that barontieri dvd good? it looks quite useful, I might buy that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's great. Ripped it to my ipod and watched it on the bus.

It's nice to see the process from a sheet of thumbs to a sketch getting picked, then the iterations of the sketch to play with variations, then taking that approved artwork into a finished piece.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

Yup, it's great. Ripped it to my ipod and watched it on the bus.

[/ QUOTE ]

woah! I just tried to purchase it and shipping to uk made the cost go up to $121!!! did you have to pay that much!? is there not a distributer in the uk somewhere?

sorry for the off topic stuff but its all in the interest of striving for perfection laugh.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    No idea, work bought it.