Home General Discussion

born to be a ramblin' man

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
At four this morning I awoke while my brain was in the midst of reassessing my life. Nothing unusual about that. It used to be, when I was a cub, that assessments would happen every few years and be cursorily dismissed.

Aging acts to bring on assessments more often, at first when a life crisis breaks in on the fantasy - lose a job, get a job, lose a girl, get a girl, crash a motorcycle and live, crash a car and live - but as time goes on, the mind forces me to look more often.

I think you guys know me well enough to know that I simply adore animals and find that pets add a special dimension of devotion, love, and, well, mooching, in our lives. I've rescued 3 dogs thus far, and 5 rabbits. Sadly, not all are still with us - thus is the circle of life.

However, I do have cats. Lots of them. Eight at present, but over the past several years six have died. Trips to the vet with a cat and the trips coming home without one have been unpleasant, mitigated only by the knowledge that I did right by the cat and that I fulfilled my promise to them to be with them all the way to the end. Those were the indoor cats. There have been others, outdoor strays I feed who have become too sick to go on, others who have died by mischance.

Cats have saved my life. Not that it matters all that much to them, of course. Nonetheless they are there in the morning demanding to be fed, insisting their litter boxes be cleaned, tolerating insulin injections in a few diabetic cases, and so on. I have to take care of them, and so I am alive these almost twenty years since the first cat and her three children.

So, what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is wrong with me?? This started four yrs ago, when my 1st child was a yr old. Picked him up, and had to fall down (with him in my arms) as gently as I could because of the muscle spasms that froze my spine (and continued for almost a month); after that, just constant back pain and recurring spasms. Mainly lower back, but it travels up and down, just for fun I guess!

Sound familiar to anyone??

At four this morning I awoke while my brain was in the midst of reassessing my life. Nothing unusual about that. It used to be, when I was a cub, that assessments would happen every few years and be cursorily dismissed.

Aging acts to bring on assessments more often, at first when a life crisis breaks in on the fantasy - lose a job, get a job, lose a girl, get a girl, crash a motorcycle and live, crash a car and live - but as time goes on, the mind forces me to look more often.

I think you guys know me well enough to know that I simply adore animals and find that pets add a special dimension of devotion, love, and, well, mooching, in our lives. I've rescued 3 dogs thus far, and 5 rabbits. Sadly, not all are still with us - thus is the circle of life.

However, I do have cats. Lots of them. Eight at present, but over the past several years six have died. Trips to the vet with a cat and the trips coming home without one have been unpleasant, mitigated only by the knowledge that I did right by the cat and that I fulfilled my promise to them to be with them all the way to the end. Those were the indoor cats. There have been others, outdoor strays I feed who have become too sick to go on, others who have died by mischance.

Cats have saved my life. Not that it matters all that much to them, of course. Nonetheless they are there in the morning demanding to be fed, insisting their litter boxes be cleaned, tolerating insulin injections in a few diabetic cases, and so on. I have to take care of them, and so I am alive these almost twenty years since the first cat and her three children.

So, what the h-e-double-hockey-sticks is wrong with me?? This started four yrs ago, when my 1st child was a yr old. Picked him up, and had to fall down (with him in my arms) as gently as I could because of the muscle spasms that froze my spine (and continued for almost a month); after that, just constant back pain and recurring spasms. Mainly lower back, but it travels up and down, just for fun I guess!

Sound familiar to anyone??

Replies