Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My book is out!

Sean McBride
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
It should be hitting shelves next week sometime.

Here's part of the dedication:

"To the Polycount crew. Without you guys I wouldn’t have know where to start and how to improve. Thank you for helping me and so many other budding artists. www.polycount.com"

BookCover.jpg

You guys rock. smile.gif

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one Sean, and thanks for the dedication! smile.gif
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Congrats on finishing it smile.gif Among other things I'm learning 3ds max right now, so your book would probably be a lot of help. But I'm about to relocate and going to need all the money I have, so that will have to wait.

But once things have settled down, I'll make sure to pick up a copy smile.gif
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    So when's your max 2009 book coming out tongue.gif

But seriously, congrats on your books release. Looked up some more info on what it covers, was sort of hoping it would go over making uber detailed robots and such (sense I'm sure you have plenty of experience with that working on Global Agenda). But still, sounds like a nice introductory type page flipper.

Question though, is their really all that much new modeling/UV stuff in 2k8 over 9? I haven't tried 2k8 yet, but I was under the impression that most of its new features were particle, animation, and rendering based. Anything new for modeling that's noteable?
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. smile.gif

East: The publisher put "Introductory to advanced" on the back of the book. I guess it all depends on where you're coming from so I'm not sure it would be a huge help to some of the more advanced users of any software. Anyway, just flip through it and if you see a subject you think you don't quite understand in max pick it up. smile.gif

Polyhertz: Ha! Yeah, that pissed me off pretty bad... it screwed me over but its an understandable decision based on the new name of 3d studio max i guess. Yeah, its more of a getting into 3d modeling not really a huge high-poly technique book. I wouldn't mind doing something like that in the future but i quite need a break after this thing. smile.gif

The changes in 2k8 to 2k9 from what I've seen are almost laughable. I havn't seen anything mind blowing yet so i doubt that they have anything mind blowing... they usually put out videos of new features and they even toured around and came to Atlanta to show off 2008. So basically what I'm saying is this book will work fine for 2009 too. Unfortunately it doesn't look like the publisher wants to push another book out so soon so were both a little out of luck...

We'll see when max 2009 releases...
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome Sean, grats on the release.

I have yet to use max 2008. What kind of stuff do you cover in this book? I'd say I'm pretty proficient in Max, would I gain anything from this book, or would you say it's more for beginners?

I may pick it up anyway, just for a handy reference, and to support a fellow PC'er smile.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    congrats man! hope to pick it up one day. bring ur old website link back though :P
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff, congrats!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if you have alot of experiance with any previous verison of 3d studio max then you're probobly not going to get alot out of my book because its not so much a technique book as its learning how to go about lighting and modeling things. If you want to pick it up to support me then by all means... smile.gif

Steady: Which one? My old as folio? hahaha i don't really have much in the way of non-work releated models. frown.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats! I'll pick it up when I see it.

Don't let the whole 2009 thing get you down, all you'll need to do is change the cover (splash screen) and claim its faster to read. Really I bet you could claim Max8-2009 and not run into that many problems, heh.

Congrats again I look forward to giving it the once over =)
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    awesome sean! I'll look for it at Borders next time i'm in there smile.gif
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I've been using Max for a while now and wouldn't mind picking up more from a Polycounter....for a nominal fee.
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic effort Sean.... ive been wondering what you have been mulling over,I met you at that Qcon a couple of years ago and acturally really havent seen or spoken to you since,you just kinda dissappeared,now I know smile.gif.

ill see if I can pick it up.

John
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A 3ds max book with a non-embarrassing cover? Try again.
    This'll never sell!

If it's coming out over here (uk) I'll check it out. I haven't upgraded since Max7, and what better way to brush up than by supporting a fellow Polycounter?
    Despite the dedication not being aimed at me specifically, you're welcome, heh.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    wow well done man, you must be very proud.
    i will make a mental note not to steal it from borders:)
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work, mate! Congrats.
    Props on the dedication, makes me all warm and fuzzy to be a Polycounter laugh.gif

-caseyjones
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Cool beans, Mr.McBride! I'll have to check it out.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig: Haha thats what i told the publisher but he decided he wanted to go with a web-based update. I'm alright with that but we'll loose sales just by the name alone.

John: Yeah man. smile.gif I remember you. You coming to qcon this year? I may be there so hope to see you there.

Pea: Hahaha, i know! What the hell was i thinking. wink.gif

Thanks again everybody. smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    congrats Sean, looks like a serious book. glad to see at least one of the many out books out there on modeling is by someone who knows what they're talking about laugh.gif
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats man! Very cool indeed.
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    What, no Amazon link? wink.gif
    Congrats, Sean.
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Essential-3ds-Max-2008/dp/1598220500

for some reason amazon.com hasn't but amazon.co.uk has. *shrug* they'll get around to it. smile.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Sean how much next gen stuff is covered in this book? I probably know the stuff already but I was curious. I'll probably check it out and see for myself if it ever sells in the US. wink.gif yeah lame joke... smile.gif Congrats.

Alex
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, congrats man. Writing a book is an impressive feat.

If I get a chance I may pick this up, been meaning to get back into Max for a while now, seems like a good way to do so.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Grats man, must be very satisfying.
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    nice, I might pick this up since i'm working with max 2008 every day and there's probably some tricks in there that I didn't know of =)