Home General Discussion

Army of Two

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
I guess it comes out today. Gonna pick it up. It looks pretty sexy so hopefully everything I heard about it is true.

Anyone here play it yet? Work on it?

Replies

• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Let me know what you guys think of the multiplayer - it's Threewave-made!
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    is it true there is no local-play options?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Adam worked on it, yeah. Crazy bastard tried to get me working on it as well! Probably should have.... hehe
    I'll probably rent the game first. Does look cool though.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I'll be interested to hear how its shaped up after the retooling process. Some of those early previews were pretty damn harsh.
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    i want to know why, with all that production value, they did not pay for motion capturing. it just does not make sense.
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i want to know why, with all that production value, they did not pay for motion capturing. it just does not make sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

That statement just comes off as odd to me. Where are you coming from on this?
  • ViPr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ViPr polycounter lvl 17
    the graphics look like some of the best ever in a game and yet it is the only Xbox360 PS3 game i can think of that does not use motion captured animation.

i don't care how talented someone is, they cannot make Star Wars using just mspaint.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Err... hand animation can be more expensive (and better looking) than mocap... I gotta agree with AstroZombie, I dunno where you're coming from with that. Seems like you are just saying shit without knowing what you're talking about (MSPaint... the hell?)

And just as one nice reference for ya, TF2 is 100% hand keyed animation.

Anyways, more on topic... I was really disappointed when I heard this doesn't have local co-op. Assuming that's true I'll have to give it a rent to see if I get it, cause that's what I was really looking forward to.

Adam - I had no idea you guys did the MP for this, I'll have to check that out.
  • Ephesians 2:8-9
    I hope it's not as DUMB as Turok
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    they did the mp for that too lol
  • Saidin311
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saidin311 polycounter lvl 11
    [ QUOTE ]
    Anyways, more on topic... I was really disappointed when I heard this doesn't have local co-op. Assuming that's true I'll have to give it a rent to see if I get it, cause that's what I was really looking forward to.

[/ QUOTE ]

BIG factor in my game decisions these days. I play PC games for multiplayer, but not always for the online multi. I play console games to get 2-3-4 people sitting around my TV to play out some game in a social situation. And sometimes we don't feel like fighting each other. SADLY I think Local Co-Op is a dying breed. I wish it wasn't so overlooked.
  • Cojax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cojax polycounter lvl 10
    Finished the game in coop with Jesse. Its was all right i think. Nothing great but nothing terrible. Awesome cinematic cut scenes and great character interaction between the two player characters. Its gets a little repetitive towards the end and very unrealistic throughout the entire game. Again it was all right but not great. I would go into more detail but I don't want spoil anything.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    Really, why wouldn't they have local coop? For a game that is built around 2 people playing they sure fucked that up. Crackdown had the same problem.

Can you at least play coop over LAN?
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i was gonna get this because the co-op seemed fun but seeing there ain't no local co-op im going to pass too bad really looked like a cool game smile.gif
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    According to Penny Arcade:

[ QUOTE ]
    Just got back from the store with two copies of Army of Two, my mind already blossoming with mercenary exploits, when it suddely became clear that the game has no local play option. No local play option. Even on the same Goddamned LAN, both accounts need to be Gold Tier Live accounts. You seriously have got to be fucking kidding me.

(CW)TB

[/ QUOTE ]

That's fucking bullshit. I'm not buying the game just because of that. I was already on the fence because I still haven't reserved SSBB but after reading that there's no way I'll buy it.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    just to be absolutely clear, split-screen is in there. i don't know if that's quite obvious from the PA post.

i think it's interesting how much overlap the game shares with Kane and Lynch, and how much better K&L would have faired by comparison if only that game had had the same kind of extra polish-up time that Army of Two enjoyed. but it's some solid co-oping, which is all i was signing up for.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    co-op is always one of the best gaming experiences you can have imo. Wish I owned a console...
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    I hope it's not as DUMB as Turok

[/ QUOTE ]

Ouch, my sides.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Like Geoff (Cojax) said. We played through last night and beat it. Had some good laughs at some of the really bad art that was in it. Floating stairs, trees that looked like they were made in 10 minutes and a few other things. Those nitpicky things aside the characters are awesome and I loved how they interact with each other. Weapon customization is fun as well. Nothing like blowing people away with a gold and diamon ak-47.

Online co-op was fun and ran very well. We played on rookie so we will probably take a run at the professional difficulty. When you beat the game you unlock weapons. So thats kinda nice.

It does have split screen by the way like gauss said.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    this game is flipping sweet.

I'm waiting for someone to write up a weapon guide, it kind of stinks when you save up all this money for a new gun only to realize you don't like it.

I also would like to know if the gun shields add any protection or they're just there to increase the aggro you generate.

Right now I've got an AUG with the best supressor, 60 round clip, best stock and underbarrel shotgun - I typically go for the sneak around shotgun blast. I have the P90 for my sidearm and it seems respectable.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    yeah justin and i played over live last nite till the wee hours. i like it a lot.. and we got it free!!

i have the aug and the starting gun fully tricked out, and have the saw fully tricked out, tho the saw was too inacurate for me, i soon went back to the aug.

the no local multi does not bother me, i've never played a game with that any ways.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah after you beat the game you unlock the weapons for later use as well. I'm playing through again to unlock all the weapons on Professional level.

I think the games a blast when playing co-op. Local play doesn't bother me either. My wife wont play these games lol....
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    played it for a few hours with spacemonkey and I really like the cool team feeling. fist pounding ftw laugh.gif

The biggest weakness is imho the bad leveldesign which often leaves the players not knowing where to go. Good leveldesign would have also supported the teamwork a little more.

Anyone here who want's to play it on sunday? (coop xbox live)
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katz anytime you get lost just press start you get glowy arrows to show you where to go,
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    AdamBrome: played some quickplay versus mode today and I had a good time, the objective icons worked great I never felt lost. I was teamed up with some random 15 year old but it was still a blast, good jorb!
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    katz: maybe i'm just thinking more about it since i've been working as a level designer, but the "GPS" vision mode just seems like a giant lazy copout. granted i like being able to get back on track pretty easily, but it seems like an odd swipe from Splinter Cell (the "electrical" vision mode which is also sort of hint-o-vision) and there are more elegant solutions.
  • katzeimsack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 17
    yeah, I worked as a leveldesigner for some time and a good designed levels shouldn't need "GPS" smile.gif
    There are so many dead ends which just distract from the right way.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    just wondering if there'll be a demo coming out for this on xbox marketplace? was quite dissapointed to see other major titles not even getting one nowadays.
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    Was playing AoT with my little brother across Live today and we had a blast. He's 12 so I should probably be ashamed or something. The controls feel a little bit wonky, and I would have preferred the Gears cover system since I tend to often somehow slip out of cover and into the open, and get mowed down.

Anyway, it's a lot of fun, and in the end, that's what matters when it comes to co-op smile.gif
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i prefered aots cover system, i hated the magnetic stick system it feels much more natural to me to just run up and duck behind somethign or slide into it
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Played a few hours last night with a friend of mine and got to the Aircraft Carrier. (Which looked great! That water was freakin sweet)

Personally I think the game is great! As long as you play with an open mind and have someone to play with this game is a blast. Sure there are plenty of issues here and there, but overall we are having a ton of fun.

My crits so far is that I wish there was some sort of burst run to cover ground. And the switching weapon controls are a little weird. I haven't found a reason to switch with my partner much either.

The whole time we played we only found 1 instance where we needed to co-op snipe...is there some other purpose for it?

Back to back is awesome fun haha

I like the GPS...it helps get back on track and since we were talking a lot online we missed a lot of the dialog so weren't 100% sure of our missions all the time.

From an artist standpoint I think there is some stuff that just looks great, and some things that were a little lacking. The environments are pretty sharp and I'm glad your "eyes" adjust to dark rooms quickly and they become lit. Haven't seen that much in games.

The cave stuff looks pretty bad lol but so far only seen a little of that.

My suggestion - get a friend, talk shit about it, and have fun. Good times.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ott the water looks great!

slight spoiler

later on you are on the hovercraft in an area with a lot of big waves splashing you around in a hurrican, its great
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    Lots of Single player crits going on.
    Curious if anyones played much of the Multiplayer?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Just finished it last night with my bud on the easier mode, and it was actually still pretty challenging. Overall the ending just got better and better. The carrier to the airport was pretty awesome.

I was really sad about the ending...not really climactic at all and it just sorta stops abruptly. Was hoping to fight that guy in the helo =\

My only real pet peave overall was the sniper ammo. I understand that special weapons shouldn't have a ton of ammo, but when they make a feature called "co-op snipe" and 1) you never use it and 2) there isn't much sniper ammo, it sucks for those of us who enjoy the sniping in games.

I feel bad for the programmers and coders and artists who did all that co-op snipe and it's essentially useless (From what I saw...if anyone can correct me let me know....Even the mission in Somolia where they mention you should do it I just blasted with my rifle and blew up the tank...no sniping required.)

Overall good times. I would have wished they could tell you what sort of ammo is on the ground so my teammate and I could ration out our ammo pickups,,,otherwise it's all random.

Good game though overall and good fun. Play with a friend!!