Home Technical Talk

First time HUMAN modeling. How did you do it?

I'm getting into human 3d modeling for an action game. I am not the greatest modeler in the world, and getting into the human aspect of modeling is a newer challenge itself. I've skimmed some member's models here (kudos to the OddWorld modeler) and was impressed by the work. So now, how did you go about making these beautiful models -more importantly the human ones- and making the textures for them? Did you draw a sketch from all sides and go off that? How did you make the textures fit perfectly and color them with such good shading?
If you've been by some tutorials that really helped you greatly, would you mind sharing them? Thanks for replying. Long live polycount.

*System I can model on at the moment: bloody Windows XP.
*Modeling programs that I've used:
-Milkshape 3d [I'm really good with this tool]
-Blender [Too confusing, I couldn't do diddly-squat]
*Other tools that I use: Photoshop

I hope the information above helps at all. Once again thanks. I'm sure with polycount I will be able to move ahead. Also, I recommend this site to a lot of fellow programers and modelers.

~Cadacale

Replies

• Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    Orthographics (the side sketches) are really valuable, because you can fully concentrate on the topology and don't have to worry about proportions. Gauss adapted some Andrew Loomis drawings, which are very useful for standard proportions and can be found here .

For the modeling, just find some models by other people and see how they have their polygons distributed. Reference is always key.
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    I'd also suggest looking up tutorials online, they can be of immense assistance even if they're not for your specific program.
  • Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Your questions seem to indicate you believe this to be a technical issue. It's a common understanding. However, no software or workflow suggestion is going to enable you to make a solid human model...

[/ QUOTE ]

[chuckles] The only reason I put any technical information up there was to see if anyone suggested anything better. I know for a fact that modeling takes practice and skill. It is an art. No amount of software can make you 'better'.

Thanks for the advice. The first reply really helped.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I had a TON of trouble with my first 3 or 4 human models. They sucked so goddamn bad its not even funny.

The two things that helped me improve were:
    1. studying other people's models that I admired, and duplicating the same meshflow/polygon layout in my own model.
    2. I started drawing, and as I drew, I got a better handle on what correct anatomy and proportions were.

Thats pretty much it. Study study study.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    [ QUOTE ]

1. studying other people's models that I admired, and duplicating the same meshflow/polygon layout in my own model.
    2. I started drawing, and as I drew, I got a better handle on what correct anatomy and proportions were.

Thats pretty much it. Study study study.

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! but Im still not very good with edge loops and topology, takes me a while to get things right, doesnt just happen first time every time. Also Im experimenting with the workflow of building simple base meshes with simple topology and then sculpting and then building a proper mesh with good flow around the sculpt and then baking.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I totally disagree atempting to practice is totally the wrong way to go. You should be able to sit down with any 3D app, zero knowledge of anatomy and bang out an amazing piece of art the first try. If that doesn't happen for you, I'm sorry, but you obviously don't have what it takes and you should find a very high place to throw yourself off of, preferably head first and into something tall and pointy.

/sarcastic dickhead
  • JBurley0879
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Personally, I'd just draw out the character on paper. Not just from multiple angles, but poses as well. (Life drawing...use it. Love it.) when you got the feel for the character, then just go ahead and model. I'd strongly recommend snagging the videos on www.montagestudio.org they're legitimately free follow-thru tutorials and although it's a blender tutorial, you can use those skills on any program.

hope this helps out.
  • sir-knight
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sir-knight polycounter lvl 10
    tools are unimportant... if it can create a mesh, it can create a character... I'm one of those trial and error guys though laugh.gif went through 12 hands trying to get one to rig the way I wanted to... still don't have it down laugh.gif

studying other people's models is where I get topography knowledge... but I also spent 5 years in art school doing nothing but life drawing and good ol pencil animation, so I sort of know my way around the body if I don't get lazy about it.

study and practice... then formulate questions.

blood, sweat and tears

and some dark voodoo magic.
  • Wej
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wej
    Someone gave me this tutorial...it may come to good use...i loved it, i really did....just be warned...don't watch the Torso tutorial at school...ya...almost got in trouble...
    http://www.erraticimagery.com/extras/tuts.html
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sure enough it'd take more than a couple humanoid modeling if you haven't done it. As I have background of Illustration major in my school year, my knowledge over human anatomy wasn't poor, however, it needs to be integrated for 3d modeling IMHO. The tutorial just above this post especially focused on 'edgeloop' which I had to tackle over many nights to comprehend it.
    Here is a site no one mnetioned yet, so I just throw it away.
    http://lounge.ego-farms.com/index.php

Knowing 3d application is as important as you understanding humanoid anatomy, so keep practicing them.

Good luck~
  • Bandit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey tanks for al the responses guys/gals! These are extremely helpful (except Vig's tongue.gif ) My first humanoid came out like a body suit. Not the greatest, but its progress. Once I get a humanoid rendered worthy of this site, I'll put it up here.

Thanks again.